Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

Re: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wheeeewww. Sure glad the Reds didn't sign this guy to a LTC. They offered one and he turned it down. Nice agent you have there, Edinson. Good luck getting a deal that good after this season.
    That's like saying "I'm glad Albert Pujols didn't accept the Cardinals LTC offer" after hitting .167 in his first 18 at bats.

I'm sure I don't have the same confidence in Volquez as most of this forum does, but I know he is better than he has looked so far this season.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

No, this has VERY LITTLE to do with Volquez's first two starts this season. I hope that is clear now. This has everything to do with his complete body of work throughout his professional career, including his minor league numbers.

Again, I'm not just talking about the first two games of this season.

Not just talking about the first two games of this season.

The first two games of this season are just a very small portion of what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

Anyone here knows that you are going to need more than what, 7 innings to evaluate Volquez. I liked WOY's comparison in another thread. It would be basically writing off a player's season after a quarter or 2 of football. It's a completely ridiculous way to evaluate a player.
    JMO, but that is very shallow thinking to assume I was referring to the "first 7 innings" of this season to evaluate Volquez. It's called looking at his total body of work. Have you ever checked out his minor league numbers? I would invite you to give them a gander. Then you might be up to speed on where I'm coming from.

First 7 innings. Nice one. I'm sure you can do better though. No baseball fan would evaluate a guy after 7 innings. It's a pattern THROUGHOUT his career, both in the minors and Majors. Are you just now picking up on this?

JMO, but that is very shallow thinking to assume I was referring to the "first 7 innings" of this season to evaluate Volquez. It's called looking at his total body of work. Have you ever checked out his minor league numbers? I would invite you to give them a gander. Then you might be up to speed on where I'm coming from.

First 7 innings. Nice one. I'm sure you can do better though. No baseball fan would evaluate a guy after 7 innings. It's a pattern THROUGHOUT his career, both in the minors and Majors. Are you just now picking up on this?
    Well how about the timing of your post?

I'm about 100% sure if Volquez throws 2 good innings to start this thread does not get made.

You tell me what that shows.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

No, this has VERY LITTLE to do with Volquez's first two starts this season. I hope that is clear now. This has everything to do with his complete body of work throughout his professional career, including his minor league numbers.

Again, I'm not just talking about the first two games of this season.

Not just talking about the first two games of this season.

The first two games of this season are just a very small portion of what I'm talking about.
    So it has to do with the fact that Volquez had a GREAT first season with the Reds and then blew his arm out in his second eyar?

That makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So it has to do with the fact that Volquez had a GREAT first season with the Reds and then blew his arm out in his second eyar?

That makes sense.
    Right. Let's ignore everything else. For example, if a band is a one-hit wonder, they must be a great band.

C'mon. Quit making juvenile comebacks and let's talk baseball. I want Volquez to turn into a Cy Young candidate. Believe me. But what's wrong with calling a spade a spade on a Reds message board? The guy has battled command problems throughout his professional career -- minors and Majors. Do you argue against that fact?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Well how about the timing of your post?

I'm about 100% sure if Volquez throws 2 good innings to start this thread does not get made.

You tell me what that shows.
    So, you do agree he's battled command problems throughout his career? Sorry you didn't like the timing of the post. He happened to be pitching at the time -- I found it a good time to bring it up.

Right. Let's ignore everything else. For example, if a band is a one-hit wonder, they must be a great band.

C'mon. Quit making juvenile comebacks and let's talk baseball. I want Volquez to turn into a Cy Young candidate. Believe me. But what's wrong with calling a spade a spade on a Reds message board? The guy has battled command problems throughout his professional career -- minors and Majors. Do you argue against that fact?
    In 314 innings with the Reds, he is 25-11 with a 3.69 ERA, 325 strikeouts, a 1.36 WHIP, and an ERA+ of 117.

And I'm supposed to believe you are calling a spade a spade? Please.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

In 314 innings with the Reds, he is 25-11 with a 3.69 ERA, 325 strikeouts, a 1.36 WHIP, and an ERA+ of 117.

And I'm supposed to believe you are calling a spade a spade? Please.
    Funny you ignore his numbers in the minors and with the Rangers. Hey, selective stats, who doesn't love 'em?

Guessing that doesn't include his playoff start last year either.

That makes sense.
    He had an amazing first 2 months with Cincy and has been middle of the road since.

Funny you ignore his numbers in the minors and with the Rangers. Hey, selective stats, who doesn't love 'em?
    Those are his numbers with the Reds. The Cincinnati Reds. A 54 start sample size. What am I ignoring exactly?

Do me a favor, tell me Scott Rolen's or Bronson Arroyo's minor league numbers. I'd be willing to bet you have no idea what they are.

But just for fun, Volquez spent part of 3 seasons in AAA, his numbers:
    195 IP, 2.59 ERA, 217 K, and a WHIP of 1.14.

He pitched an entire 80 innings in Texas.

So tell me again, who is calling a spade a spade?

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post

I supposed Gomes will also lead the league in walks and the Reds will finish 162-0 right?
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let's not go overboard here. We all know the Reds aren't going 162-0 this year.

So, you do agree he's battled command problems throughout his career? Sorry you didn't like the timing of the post. He happened to be pitching at the time -- I found it a good time to bring it up.
    I actually cited in my post that I thought there were a number of arguments against Volquez.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

I can't take it anymore.

EVERYone on this board is concerned to some degree about Volquez, Blitz. But the guy ain't dogmeat either. I really think you are selling him short.

To be clear, I want Volquez to stay in the rotation and all of that. I'm not saying he should be demoted or anything absurd like that. He can definitely be an asset for this team. I'm even holding out hope he will turn things around and have a great season (and prove schlubs like me wrong).

I just don't understand why we as Reds fans can't sit here and talk about factual things (even if they happen to be negative) about our players without people getting upset. If I was talking to a few of my Reds fans in person, we would probably all agree on the topic. But bring it up on a message board, and I think some people take it as you're bashing the player. Not in my case. I like talking baseball. And keeping it real! I want Volquez to be great. Doesn't mean I have blinders on though. He has major issues IMO.

Turn Off Ads?