Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

Re: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

He threw 47 innings in the minors last year, had a 1.47 ERA and a K/BB of 47/12.

That's really all you need to know about what those mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    To be clear, I want Volquez to stay in the rotation and all of that. I'm not saying he should be demoted or anything absurd like that. He can definitely be an asset for this team. I'm even holding out hope he will turn things around and have a great season (and prove schlubs like me wrong).

I just don't understand why we as Reds fans can't sit here and talk about factual things (even if they happen to be negative) about our players without people getting upset. If I was talking to a few of my Reds fans in person, we would probably all agree on the topic. But bring it up on a message board, and I think some people take it as you're bashing the player. Not in my case. I like talking baseball. And keeping it real! I want Volquez to be great. Doesn't mean I have blinders on though. He has major issues IMO.
    I do not believe the command issues are what riled this board up. Everyone agrees Volquez lacks command. But many pitchers are successful without solid command

Things like claiming that his lack of performance was due to him getting busted from PED's, get people upset.

No, not really. It was sarcasm. Volquez has one good year (his only good year), then gets busted for PEDs ... and now he's struggling. Hmmm. Don't need to be a private investigator to figure out that one.
    Followed with treating Volquez as if he is some sort of wonder breed that should be held to a higher standard when it comes to returning from Tommy John surgery, gets people upset.

Maybe it was the 14 or so posts in about a half hour span constantly magnifying everything Volquez did wrong during the first 2 innings, that got people upset.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He threw 47 innings in the minors last year, had a 1.47 ERA and a K/BB of 47/12.

That's really all you need to know about what those mean.
    To be clear I am in disagreement with Blitz.

To be clear I said "he is approaching" the point where he should turn the corner.

Not sure why this is such an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    To be clear I am in disagreement with Blitz.

To be clear I said "he is approaching" the point where he should turn the corner.

Not sure why this is such an issue.
    We are in agreement there, but I'm just saying he's not there yet.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

The A's and Yanks gave up on a guy you have as your avatar at about the same number of innings thrown in his career too. Numbers are kinda similar too. Just food for thought.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I do not believe the command issues are what riled this board up. Everyone agrees Volquez lacks command. But many pitchers are successful without solid command

Things like claiming that his lack of performance was due to him getting busted from PED's, get people upset.

Followed with treating Volquez as if he is some sort of wonder breed that should be held to a higher standard when it comes to returning from Tommy John surgery, gets people upset.

Maybe it was the 14 or so posts in about a half hour span constantly magnifying everything Volquez did wrong during the first 2 innings, that got people upset.
    Let me ask you a question: Are you or are you not concerned about the fact that Volquez was busted for PED use? (And please don't mention his lame excuse for getting caught. EVERY athlete has some "Brian Cushing-esqe" sob story to go with it.)

Fact is, he was caught using PEDs. That concerns me. I wonder if he was on them during the only good year he's had during his professional career. I wish Volquez was never busted for PEDs. But doesn't mean I am going to crawl under a rock and never talk about it ... especially with fellow Reds fans. It's no minor detail, IMO. Perhaps you disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I thought I accidentally found my way back to the SunDeck for a second.
    Agreed.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Agreed.
    nm. keeping the peace.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 04-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    The A's and Yanks gave up on a guy you have as your avatar at about the same number of innings thrown in his career too. Numbers are kinda similar too. Just food for thought.
    But that was before Rijo discovered the "snake oil." Are you suggesting that's the problem with Edinson? We need a shipment of snake oil from the Dominican. Stat!

And I wouldn't say the A's "gave up" on Rijo. I liked the trade at the time, but I remember there were some Reds fans that were not a big fan of it b/c of what we gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Innings, in fact 388 big league innings is pretty small, plus the dude was and still is kinda wild, 14 hit batters and 10 WP in his big year.

Nolan Ryan used to pitch like this ALL the time.
    I guess my major question is...what are we waiting for him to get back to? For the most part he is where he was pre-surgery, minus the 2 off the charts months. He has been inconsistent, showing flashes of brilliance and disaster. Isn't that his MO?

Saw many, many posts I wanted to respond to, but reds44 pretty much nailed it.

Sun Deck-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I guess my major question is...what are we waiting for him to get back to? For the most part he is where he was pre-surgery, minus the 2 off the charts months. He has been inconsistent, showing flashes of brilliance and disaster. Isn't that his MO?
    I agree with this. His arm seems fine but he still has erratic release points. Unless he fixes that he's going to be what he is. Which is fine he can be a decent pitcher. He'll be dominant at times and at times he'll be below average. I just don't think he's gonna be an ace.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Little bit of a difference in trading a 27-year-old Josh Hamilton and a 36-year-old Dave Parker, though.

And I wouldn't say the A's "gave up" on Rijo. I liked the trade at the time, but I remember there were some Reds fans that were not a big fan of it b/c of what we gave up.
    True. The A's were looking for a left-handed power bat to go with their two right-handed 'roid monsters Canseco and McGwire. Parker fit that bill well. The Athletics' rotation was also stacked, featuring Dave Stewart, Mike Moore, Bob Welch, and Storm Davis. There was no room, no time, and no patience from LaRussa for a young project like Rijo.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Why do people keep bringing up the fact we traded Josh Hamilton for him? It doesn't matter anymore. It has no effect on how good or bad of a pitcher he is. The GM who made the trade got fired, what do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Why do people keep bringing up the fact we traded Josh Hamilton for him? It doesn't matter anymore. It has no effect on how good or bad of a pitcher he is. The GM who made the trade got fired, what do you want?
    You make a valid point. But the two will forever be linked whether we like it or not. That happens in any sport when two players are traded for each other, especially in baseball though where it's most-prevalent.

Turn Off Ads?