Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

Re: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

Volquez has looked awful in the first inning of his starts but he has settled down nicely tonight. I am willing to give hom some more starts and Price some time to get him figured out.

Personally I have always thought Volquez would be best as a closer but that's just one man's opinion.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Can't even bunt well. Add it to his tab.

He hit 96 MPH tonight. I don't get his struggles being related to PEDs.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    He hit 96 MPH tonight. I don't get his struggles being related to PEDs.
    Arroyo also admitted to using PEDs back in the day. I'm sure he didn't use them to become a power pitcher. They can help in other areas, like coming back quicker after pitching and just making you feel stronger in general.

I hear what you are saying though. You would think PED use from a pitcher would mean added velocity ... kind of like how Roger Clemens' velocity somehow increased when he left the Red Sox for the Blue Jays. No way Rog was on the juice though. He comes across as very believable. Ha.

Hindsight is 20/20, overeactions, blah blah blah. All apply here.

I supposed Gomes will also lead the league in walks and the Reds will finish 162-0 right?
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 04-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I thought I accidentally found my way back to the SunDeck for a second.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Hmm...suspended for PED's after Tommy John surgery. Show me some proof its PED's and not the elbow replacement surgery he just had.

Ill provide you a link to Francisco Liriano's numbers post Tommy John because he is fresh in my mind. Just take a look, Liriano comes back for 14 starts in 2008, Volquez started 12. Liriano put up worse numbers, 2009 was another rough year, then 2010 (2 years removed) he was back to being pretty darn good. You may also want to take a look at the BB category, he was pretty erratic post TJ for his first 2 years.

You probably don't want to look at facts right now, but its some food for thought.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...iriafr01.shtml
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Hey, I'm not totally alone on the island. Good thing is I brought plenty of beer and snacks.
    I'm underage, so I'll just have to eat all the snacks. :

Honestly, Volquez seems highly overrated here. I would take Wood, Arroyo, Cueto, and Homer over him in a heartbeat, and quite possibly LeCure and Maloney. And no, I don't feel like digging up sabermetrics to back that up... NTTAWWT, lol.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I'm underage, so I'll just have to eat all the snacks. :

Honestly, Volquez seems highly overrated here. I would take Wood, Arroyo, Cueto, and Homer over him in a heartbeat, and quite possibly LeCure and Maloney. And no, I don't feel like digging up sabermetrics to back that up... NTTAWWT, lol.

HAHA. Because there is literally nothing you could pull up, whether it be stats, sabermetrics, scouts, common sense, or anything else to back that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Wheeeewww. Sure glad the Reds didn't sign this guy to a LTC. They offered one and he turned it down. Nice agent you have there, Edinson. Good luck getting a deal that good after this season.

SHOCKING that this guy has never been the same since being busted for PEDs. And wasn't it Josh Hamilton that was supposed to have the drug problem? Our "Opening Day starter" (which he never should have been, but that's a story for a different day) is the clear weak link of the rotation. Amazing. At least the rest of the team is really good. But I have lost my patience with the project known as Edinson Volquez. We basically traded a Joey Votto clone (as far as his batting skills) for Volquez. Just beautiful.

Like I said in the game thread, we'll look back on the Hamilton-for-Volquez trade as the second-worst deal in Reds history behind Frank Robinson. I hope not, but it's sure looking that way.
    JMHO, but this has to be the exact opposite type of post that ORG strives for.

In one post, you beat a clearly dead horse, you are particularly insulting of Volq in a number of ways and you are using basically two games to formulate an opinion (I mean, of course you wait until after a bad inning to make this thread, god forbid you do it before it unfolds before our eyes).

There are arguments against Volquez. Lots of them. IMO, this is the worst way to do it, and was likley to have the majority of the board shake their heads immediately.

Anyone here knows that you are going to need more than what, 7 innings to evaluate Volquez. I liked WOY's comparison in another thread. It would be basically writing off a player's season after a quarter or 2 of football. It's a completely ridiculous way to evaluate a player.

Not to mention that you criticize both Volquez and is agent for turning down a contract that you have zero idea what the terms were. It's really really difficult to respect a position that is based on no facts, and 7 innings of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

In one post, you beat a clearly dead horse, you are particularly insulting of Volq in a number of ways and you are using basically two games to formulate an opinion (I mean, of course you wait until after a bad inning to make this thread, god forbid you do it before it unfolds before our eyes).

There are arguments against Volquez. Lots of them. IMO, this is the worst way to do it, and was likley to have the majority of the board shake their heads immediately.

Anyone here knows that you are going to need more than what, 7 innings to evaluate Volquez. I liked WOY's comparison in another thread. It would be basically writing off a player's season after a quarter or 2 of football. It's a completely ridiculous way to evaluate a player.

Not to mention that you criticize both Volquez and is agent for turning down a contract that you have zero idea what the terms were. It's really really difficult to respect a position that is based on no facts, and 7 innings of performance.
    Nailed it.

Edinson is key to this team making a serious championship run this year. Luckily Dusty and Walt have some vision and are going to ride Edinson through these rough starts.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Volquez's first two starts this year:

1st innings:
    2 IP
    7 H
    7 ER
    4 BB
    5 K

After:
    9 IP
    5 H
    2 ER
    3 BB
    8 K

Think Volquez's is struggling to find his control early in games, coming off of TJ surgery? Maybe? Just maybe?

Btw, Volquez gave up a grand total of 1 XBH today.
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

HAHA. Because there is literally nothing you could pull up, whether it be stats, sabermetrics, scouts, common sense, or anything else to back that up.
    No... no, I'd say common sense works. Just from what I've seen of him this year and last, his control and over all performance is... not good. I'm not sure when this became a courtroom, and not a message board... geeze.

And here's a thought... if he's still recovering from TJ... PUT HIM ON THE DL.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    No... no, I'd say common sense works. Just from what I've seen of him this year and last, his control and over all performance is... not good. I'm not sure when this became a courtroom, and not a message board... geeze.

And here's a thought... if he's still recovering from TJ... PUT HIM ON THE DL.

No. Common sense doesn't work.

And why would you put him on the DL? The more you pitch after coming back from TJ surgery, the stronger and better you get. You don't get better from not pitching.

Turn Off Ads?