Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

Re: Thank goodness Volquez was foolish enough to turn down the LTC

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Volquez should fire his agent if he hasn't already. Will be interesting to see how much $$ that incredibly foolish decision ends up costing him. Not saying it will be on the level of Nomar turning down the Red Sox's deal a few years ago, but Volquez will always regret that decision.
    Not sure if you play black jack, if not this analogy won't make much sense.
    But if you have 20, no matter what the dealer is showing, the correct play is to stay. If the dealer turns over 21, there isn't much you can do. You obviously can not predict the future.

Edinson's hand wasn't that strong, but he still was gambling that he'd be more valuable after a full healthy season then he was at that time. No matter how that turned out, the decision was still based on whether he felt like he could pitch better than he had in the previous season.

This past winter, there was no reason for him to think he'd have a worse season then one which didn't even start until July and still featured it's ups and downs.

That his gamble hasn't paid off doesn't make the decision better or worse.
    It's really the same logic on the trade. Both Edinson and Hamilton had their virtues and risks associated.
    Just because Edinson's risks have come to fruition and Hamilton's haven't yet doesn't make the cost to assume those risks and virtues at the time any different.

That said, I'm glad he turned it down, because if he doesn't improve, there's nothing that keeps him from being cut.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yea, getting back to the original statement of this thread.
    Thank God we are not stuck with Edinson for 4 years at 21 million.
    Edinson had a chance to be paid as well as Cueto (who has accomplished much more) and turned it down.

Edinson would be a total liablity if he had agreed to that extension.
    Although he has little value now, at least he's not an immovable albotross.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

-The Insider-

So wait, does Volquez have options left?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Not sure if you play black jack, if not this analogy won't make much sense.
    But if you have 20, no matter what the dealer is showing, the correct play is to stay. If the dealer turns over 21, there isn't much you can do. You obviously can not predict the future.

Edinson's hand wasn't that strong, but he still was gambling that he'd be more valuable after a full healthy season then he was at that time. No matter how that turned out, the decision was still based on whether he felt like he could pitch better than he had in the previous season.

This past winter, there was no reason for him to think he'd have a worse season then one which didn't even start until July and still featured it's ups and downs.

That his gamble hasn't paid off doesn't make the decision better or worse.
    It's really the same logic on the trade. Both Edinson and Hamilton had their virtues and risks associated.
    Just because Edinson's risks have come to fruition and Hamilton's haven't yet doesn't make the cost to assume those risks and virtues at the time any different.

That said, I'm glad he turned it down, because if he doesn't improve, there's nothing that keeps him from being cut.
    I play a lot of blackjack -- by far my favorite table game. In fact, really the only table game I will play. However, I still don't like that analogy. I know what you're trying to say, but even you say yourself "Edinson's hand wasn't that strong." That's exactly the point I was making. He should have known better than anyone that his '08 season was a fluke and should have gotten the long-term security the Reds offered. Thank goodness he didn't.

Anyone else notice Josh Hamilton was activated the same day Volquez was sent down?

Re: I give up on Edinson Volquez

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    FYI, Masset has been outstanding over the past month plus. That's called paying dividends. I'll take that over the unknown after dropping him after one or two poor outings. Also, I'm not sure what high leverage situations you speak of regarding Janish but he has 19 PAs hitting second. If that's what you are talking about, then I think you may be overreacting.

Chapman, sure. But also with EV you aren't going to pull him immediately. Most of his issues have been 1st inning, he has only really started to go down the tubes.

You cannot manically manage your roster like a fantasy or video game roster. No one will want to play for you if you get dropped after a few bad games.
    Who's getting dropped? HIGH LEVERAGE SITUATIONS. When Paul Janish is 0-19 in the 2 hole, let's quit pretending he can hit there. When EV is in his 11th start in which he can't sniff getting to the 7th inning or not having a walkfest. Why wait until the 11th to have to overreact and send him down. Maybe after the 6th start....you skip one and give him some extended time to get things under control. No, you don't do that, you wait until it's an abject trainwreck and then you do something.

Nick Masset was finally removed from high leverage situations to work things out. Now he's back in them. It's really kind of a cool thing.....maybe I learned that on a video game, who knows.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Re: I give up on Edinson Volquez

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Who's getting dropped? HIGH LEVERAGE SITUATIONS. When Paul Janish is 0-19 in the 2 hole, let's quit pretending he can hit there. When EV is in his 11th start in which he can't sniff getting to the 7th inning or not having a walkfest. Why wait until the 11th to have to overreact and send him down. Maybe after the 6th start....you skip one and give him some extended time to get things under control. No, you don't do that, you wait until it's an abject trainwreck and then you do something.

Nick Masset was finally removed from high leverage situations to work things out. Now he's back in them. It's really kind of a cool thing.....maybe I learned that on a video game, who knows.
    Masset had 4 poor outings in a row and then was dropped. At what point do you drop one of your best relievers from high leverage situations and then put him back? 2? 3?

No one is also pretending Janish can hit in the 2 spot. They are trying to get him going. Do you really think Dusty pictures him as the prototypical 2 guy?

Anyone else notice Josh Hamilton was activated the same day Volquez was sent down?
    And he homered in his first at bat.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

He should have known better than anyone that his '08 season was a fluke and should have gotten the long-term security the Reds offered. Thank goodness he didn't.
    Have you known any high level athlete who ever thought they got lucky?
    Why should he have known that the success was a fluke?

I'm not sure we can definitively say that its a fluke yet.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Have you known any high level athlete who ever thought they got lucky?
    Why should he have known that the success was a fluke?

I'm not sure we can definitively say that its a fluke yet.
    Can we try and stay on-topic? We're talking about Edinson Volquez, not high-level athletes.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    So wait, does Volquez have options left?

I think the question now is, "Why was the option not exercised a month ago?"

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Just sayin'.

(And it's hilarious to read some of the comments in this thread.)

Just imagine if he could pitch against Cincinnati every time out.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, but I distinctly recall them saying the contract they offered Volquez was VERY similar to the one Cueto took. Nearly identical. What I can't recall was if it was Edinson or Walt that said it.
    Oh, thank goodness that Volquez has (had?) the agent that he does.

Just sayin'.

(And it's hilarious to read some of the comments in this thread.)
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?