Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Early Entry Thread

Hybrid View

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

NCAA Early Entry Thread

With the coaching carousel thread I thought this would be a good one for the NBA draft and defections:

Kyrie Irving is officially going pro:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=6301656

I'd venture to say Irving is a top 3 pick. Only ones I would consider would be Derrick Williams from Arizona or Perry Jones from Baylor.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: NCAA Early Entry Thread

Trey Thompkins of UGA has entered the draft and hired an agent. So he's done in college.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The Richmond kid from Illinois declared and supposedly hired an agent. Guess his family really needs $$ because while he is a solid player, I can't see him being a 1st round pick.
    Matta = Really good

UCLA's Tyler Honeycutt and the Morris twins of Kansas are taking the plunge.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

I guess Zeller and Henson are staying put. Harrison Barnes is going to take more time to decide.

I see Henson and Zeller staying, but Barnes is likely a top 5 pick, regardless of what Roy Williams says. I don't think he could do much to improve his draft stock, especially with a loaded class next year coming in.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'll be surprised if Barnes returns for the reasons you just mentioned.

Anyway, here's a tracker:

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...sp?CID=1208395
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

It's amazing how much these NBA scouts project players based on potential. I don't know if you guys are remember former Louisville forward Samardo Samuels, but here's a guy that ESPN/USA Today tabbed as the #1 high school prospect coming out of high school in '08. Had he been able to turn pro then he would have most assuredly been a top 10 lottery pick. He goes on to Louisville and as a freshman starts every game and helps the Cards to a #1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney.
    However, at this point he's on a team with two other NBA lottery picks (Terrence Williams and Earl Clark). So his value drops from top 10 to late first-round in one season. Then in his sophomore year he averages 16 PPG and 9 RBP while being the focal point of the offense. That year's Louisville team gets bounced in the first-round of the NCAA tournament. Samuel's decides to turn pro given his family's dire financial situation and goes undrafted. Luckily the Cleveland Cavs picked him up as a FA, but how in the world does a player improve year-to-year, but yet sees his draft stock value drop each year? Potential. NBA teams put way too much value into potential when grading out these players in my honest opinion. Yea, yea I know they most of these guys loaded with potential are young and raw, but if I'm a GM give me a 3 or 4 year college guy that knows how to win and is experienced over someone tabbed with "potential".
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I see Henson and Zeller staying, but Barnes is likely a top 5 pick, regardless of what Roy Williams says. I don't think he could do much to improve his draft stock, especially with a loaded class next year coming in.
    Roy Williams has not said anything except that Harrison and he were still gathering info. What Chad Ford reported was blatently wrong.

And there is plenty Barnes can do to improve his draft status. Starting with ballhandling. He was not great with that all year.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Roy Williams has not said anything except that Harrison and he were still gathering info. What Chad Ford reported was blatently wrong.

And there is plenty Barnes can do to improve his draft status. Starting with ballhandling. He was not great with that all year.
    If you are being projected as a top 3 pick, there really isn't that much you can do to improve your stock. A lot could depend on whether or not Derrick Williams comes out. If he stays at Arizona, Barnes is immediately the top SF available.

As for the ballhandling, the NBA drafts solely on talent. If anything, staying in school for an extra year generally hurts your draft stock, especially if you get hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic if Jones, Knight, Lamb, and Liggins all announced they were coming back next year. If one of them got hurt and it cost them millions though, I would be questioning whether they made the right choice.

I'm not sure why these guys are going pro when there appears that there's going to be a work stoppage that has more of a chance at delaying the season than the NFL situation. They aren't going to get paid if there is no basketball to play.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not sure why these guys are going pro when there appears that there's going to be a work stoppage that has more of a chance at delaying the season than the NFL situation. They aren't going to get paid if there is no basketball to play.
    Look at a guy like Kemba. Is his stock ever going to be higher than now? Especially with only Irving coming out amongst projected lottery picks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Look at a guy like Kemba. Is his stock ever going to be higher than now? Especially with only Irving coming out amongst projected lottery picks so far.
    Not only that but he will be graduating in May. So to play another year he would have to enroll in a Masters program.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

In a normal year, without the concern of a work stoppage, I'd agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Not only that but he will be graduating in May. So to play another year he would have to enroll in a Masters program.
    I'm sure U Conn would accept him into a graduate program without much fuss. And he can always take the path a lot of these 1 and dones do: Take enough classes to be eligible in the fall semester then not even go to classes in the 2nd semester.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Scary part is that if Knight declares (and I think he will), there are two PG's I would take over Kemba and all three will end up in the lottery (Irving being the other).

I think Brandon Knight is going to ultimately be a top 5 pick, especially with the class being as weak as it is. He has question marks, but I think once the workouts start and he works with the teams he will move up the draft boards pretty quick. The only reason I could see him coming back is that he is academically a junior and is very high on academics. He could return to get his degree, but I think he is gone.

As for Kemba, the biggest knock is that he is undersized for a NBA PG. But then again, so is Chris Paul.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

Dan (Buffalo, NY) Any news on Barnes? Still leaning towards returning?

Chad Ford (1:39 PM)

He is. But every day that passes without him making a statement has to make Tar Heel fans worry. I think he wants to go back to school and try to win a championship. UNC would be the odds on favorites if he returns. But he's a Top 3 pick this year. Maybe
    No. 1 overall. That's tough to walk away from -- lockout or no lockout.

Turn Off Ads?