Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Early Entry Thread

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: NCAA Early Entry Thread

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

Dan (Buffalo, NY) Any news on Barnes? Still leaning towards returning?

Chad Ford (1:39 PM)

He is. But every day that passes without him making a statement has to make Tar Heel fans worry. I think he wants to go back to school and try to win a championship. UNC would be the odds on favorites if he returns. But he's a Top 3 pick this year. Maybe
    No. 1 overall. That's tough to walk away from -- lockout or no lockout.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Surprising no one, San Diego State forward Kawhi Leonard--The next Gerald Wallace-- has declared for the 2011 NBA Draft and intends to hire an agent.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Scary part is that if Knight declares (and I think he will), there are two PG's I would take over Kemba and all three will end up in the lottery (Irving being the other).

I think Brandon Knight is going to ultimately be a top 5 pick, especially with the class being as weak as it is. He has question marks, but I think once the workouts start and he works with the teams he will move up the draft boards pretty quick. The only reason I could see him coming back is that he is academically a junior and is very high on academics. He could return to get his degree, but I think he is gone.

As for Kemba, the biggest knock is that he is undersized for a NBA PG. But then again, so is Chris Paul.
    The problem is that Kemba Walker isn't quite as athletic as Chris Paul and that he is more of a scorer than he is a distributor. I question whether or not he's going to be able to transition to become a true PG or if he's a SG trapped in a PG's body. I suppose all it takes is one team to fall in love with him but I could see him slipping out of the lottery, even with a weak draft class.

Harrison Barnes to return to UNC for sophomore season.

It's a longshot, but should UK happen to return all of their players, this is what you get to look forward to in December:

Kentucky:
    Michael Gilchrist (Fr)
    Anthony Davis (Fr)
    Marquis Teague (Fr)
    Kyle Wiltjer (Fr)
    Terrence Jones (So)
    Brandon Knight (So)
    Doron Lamb (So)

North Carolina:
    James McAdoo (Fr)
    PJ Hairston (Fr)
    Kendall Marshall (So)
    Reggie Bullock (So)
    Harrison Barnes (So)
    John Henson (Jr)
    Dexter Strickland (Jr)
    Tyler Zeller (Sr)

That is 15 McDonalds All American's in the same game. I'd say Kentucky loses Knight for sure and maybe Jones though, but its still nice to dream about the talent on that game. Might be a possible national championship game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

UNC will be the prohibitive number one team going into next season. They are loaded. They should be nearly as good as their 2009 team.
    If Knight and Jones do come back UK could be there with them. But they still may be just a tick behind even with everyone back.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    UNC will be the prohibitive number one team going into next season. They are loaded. They should be nearly as good as their 2009 team.
    If Knight and Jones do come back UK could be there with them. But they still may be just a tick behind even with everyone back.
    Well, the big difference is the 2009 team had Wayne Ellington and his 3 ball. This team needs Bullock, Hairston and Barnes to step up from beyond the arc (and to defend it like the 09 team once the tourney rolled around) to be as "loaded" as the 09 team.

That said, the Final Four is in New Orleans and I am already looking to get tickets just in case because I think UNC has excellent shot to get there.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

This draft class is going to suck IMO

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    This draft class is going to suck IMO
    I believe that's been the consensus since early on.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I believe that's been the consensus since early on.
    I don't get into the early projections too much. It's always "this is the worst class ever" or "this is the greatest class ever"... but it seems like several lottery picks are staying another year... in the past, usually there's only one or so that goes back to school.

As a GM, I think I would look to trade my pick for one next year... which is going to be LOADED

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    This is where I disagree.

If we return everybody (doubtful), this is still the same team minus Jorts that knocked off UNC in the tournament. Consider what Kentucky is adding and I would say it's going to be more like 1a and 1b for Kentucky and North Carolina next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I don't get into the early projections too much. It's always "this is the worst class ever" or "this is the greatest class ever"... but it seems like several lottery picks are staying another year... in the past, usually there's only one or so that goes back to school.

As a GM, I think I would look to trade my pick for one next year... which is going to be LOADED
    But the consensus was that it was a fairly weak freshman class to begin with.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Many are worried-- rightfully so-- about a lockout, a year-long work stoppage, and how to afford life in the meantime. (I'm guessing prospective agents would possibly float loans to lottery picks, but expect some serious interest rates in the meantime. And what happens if you don't get picked where you think you will be? And what happens when you don't repay the loan, conveniently forgetting that agent's largesse?)

Much easier to stay in school the extra year and wait it out while getting the free education, free food, free clothing so many do. It's not like it's seriously difficult. This is probably the best time of their young lives. (It was for me, anyway, and likely 90% of the board.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Many are worried-- rightfully so-- about a lockout, a year-long work stoppage, and how to afford life in the meantime. (I'm guessing prospective agents would possibly float loans to lottery picks, but expect some serious interest rates in the meantime. And what happens if you don't get picked where you think you will be? And what happens when you don't repay the loan, conveniently forgetting that agent's largesse?)
    I seem to recall a recent story about clients who got loans from Scott Boros when they first started and they can't/won't pay them back.

Much easier to stay in school the extra year and wait it out while getting the free education, free food, free clothing so many do. It's not like it's seriously difficult. This is probably the best time of their young lives. (It was for me, anyway, and likely 90% of the board.)
    That's all true. However one injury could put an end to those NBA dreams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Harrison Barnes to return to UNC for sophomore season.

It's a longshot, but should UK happen to return all of their players, this is what you get to look forward to in December:

Kentucky:
    Michael Gilchrist (Fr)
    Anthony Davis (Fr)
    Marquis Teague (Fr)
    Kyle Wiltjer (Fr)
    Terrence Jones (So)
    Brandon Knight (So)
    Doron Lamb (So)

North Carolina:
    James McAdoo (Fr)
    PJ Hairston (Fr)
    Kendall Marshall (So)
    Reggie Bullock (So)
    Harrison Barnes (So)
    John Henson (Jr)
    Dexter Strickland (Jr)
    Tyler Zeller (Sr)
    Got to love that UNC squad-- depth everywhere with McAdoo playing behind all three Tar Heel bigs. Hairston, Barnes, and Bullock need to be able to stroke the 3, as do Strickland and Marshall. That will be the determining factor in Carolina's quest for the championship.

UK, OTOH, would be questionable underneath, IMO. Jones could post almost anyone, but he has to learn a couple moves. (An up and under would be nice to see, as would an effective baby hook.) Miller would kill most small forwards if he posts, but I'd put a big on him anyway. Davis is willowy and Wiltjer is young and hasn't played all that much with athletes this special.

Actually, when you look over CBB, only Duke and Kansas look like they may take serious steps backward. Memphis looks really good. I like Washington's team. Lousville looks intriguing. Pitt is solid, especially if they return their lead guard, Gibson. (Though, with others not entering the draft, he may see an opportunity.) MSU will be much, much better. Michigan looks really loaded. Vandy even looks good. Florida will be fun to see play, too.

Another thing to not overlook is that these guys are very talented. Top prospects (usually) learn so much faster than your average athlete. Who knows how much these players will improve from this year to next.

Turn Off Ads?