Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Early Entry Thread

Re: NCAA Early Entry Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Exactly. Everyone is so quick to point out the money angle. These kids will be giving up millions to go back, blah, blah, blah. The simple fact of the matter is most 19 year old kids are not ready to play an NBA season.

The lionshare of these kids who leave early play less than 20 minutes per game their rookie year. They go from never having sat on the bench to playing about a quarter plus 6 minutes per game. Basically they get paid to sit on the bench. The longer you stay in college, sure you might not improve your draft stock but you become more NBA ready and once you get in league you then get in running.
    Its the biggest problem in the NBA right now if you ask me. They draft too much on potential and the worst team doesn't get the best chance to improve. Every once in a while you have a unique talent come out like LeBron but in other years you have guys like Beasley and Oden come out. Not bad players, one doomed by injury, but it didn't help the team they were drafted by.

Too many of these teams draft upon development and potential. They draft guys who will need at least 2 years of development before they are able to play at a level demanded in the NBA. And even the players who are successful often have a glaring flaw in their game. I can look at Carmelo and its his unwillingness to play defense or even LeBron doesn't have the finesse that the great players of yesteryear had. There are a lot of nuances that need to be developed that many of the better players just don't develop in today's game.

I look at Evan Turner as a perfect example of both sides of the argument. He was a late 1st round pick after his Soph year. He made great strides in his 2nd year at OSU but he was still a very raw product. Even in his great Jr. season he needed some work. He improved a great deal, improved to the 2nd pick in the draft, but his ball handling left a little to be desired. He wasn't a finished product, but had shown a great deal of improvement from his Soph season to his Jr season. IMO he made the right decision to leave after his Jr. season but there were still some aspects of his game that could have used some full time tutelage.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Looks like Kemba Walker will be going pro. Not exactly a shock, I thought he was honored during the senior night ceremonies assuring that he was going pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Baylor freshman star Perry Jones not going pro yet.

http://http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/...r-jonesstaying
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Baylor freshman star Perry Jones not going pro yet.

http://http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/...r-jonesstaying
    That's a shocker. I thought he would go for sure.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Heard on the radio that Butler's Shelvin Mack will enter the draft but won't hire an agent.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That's a shocker. I thought he would go for sure.
    Tell me about it. Perry Jones returning plus Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello.

How does Scott Drew bring in blue chip recruits to Waco, let alone keep them there for an extra season?
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Looks like Kemba Walker will be going pro. Not exactly a shock, I thought he was honored during the senior night ceremonies assuring that he was going pro.
    FWIW, I heard today on the radio that Walker is graduating early and will receive his diploma this spring.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Three more are heading to the show:

FSU's Chris Singleton plans to hire an agent. A lockdown defender.. He's ready.

I'm not so sure about the next two:

UCLA's Malcolm Lee.

Georgia's Travis Leslie.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Tu Holloway declared but is not hiring an agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm not sure why these guys are going pro when there appears that there's going to be a work stoppage that has more of a chance at delaying the season than the NFL situation. They aren't going to get paid if there is no basketball to play.
    Look at a guy like Kemba. Is his stock ever going to be higher than now? Especially with only Irving coming out amongst projected lottery picks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Look at a guy like Kemba. Is his stock ever going to be higher than now? Especially with only Irving coming out amongst projected lottery picks so far.
    Not only that but he will be graduating in May. So to play another year he would have to enroll in a Masters program.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

In a normal year, without the concern of a work stoppage, I'd agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Not only that but he will be graduating in May. So to play another year he would have to enroll in a Masters program.
    I'm sure U Conn would accept him into a graduate program without much fuss. And he can always take the path a lot of these 1 and dones do: Take enough classes to be eligible in the fall semester then not even go to classes in the 2nd semester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Selby is going pro and hiring an agent.

Scary part is that if Knight declares (and I think he will), there are two PG's I would take over Kemba and all three will end up in the lottery (Irving being the other).

I think Brandon Knight is going to ultimately be a top 5 pick, especially with the class being as weak as it is. He has question marks, but I think once the workouts start and he works with the teams he will move up the draft boards pretty quick. The only reason I could see him coming back is that he is academically a junior and is very high on academics. He could return to get his degree, but I think he is gone.

As for Kemba, the biggest knock is that he is undersized for a NBA PG. But then again, so is Chris Paul.

Turn Off Ads?