Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PEDs and the Appendix

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

PEDs and the Appendix

Anyone notice that there has been a rash of appendectomies lately? Off the top of my head, Harang, Holliday, Dunn, and Andres Torres. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv but that seems like a higher percentage of occurrences in a small population over the last two years or so. I wonder if PEDs might have played a role in some of these? Looks like someone beat me to it:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...SP0U1IRFQK.DTL
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: PEDs and the Appendix

Appendicitis affects about 6 - 7 percent of the population in the United States

Since 2002, 21 players have been on the DL for having having an appendectomy.

Jim Doyle had one in 1912 and died

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    Anyone notice that there has been a rash of appendectomies lately? Off the top of my head, Harang, Holliday, Dunn, and Andres Torres. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv but that seems like a higher percentage of occurrences in a small population over the last two years or so. I wonder if PEDs might have played a role in some of these? Looks like someone beat me to it:

Umm, doubt it. Probably just a coincidence.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Doyle was clearly on something- he has an extra head growing out of his shoulder and a 3rd foot coming out of the back of his knee. that's why he was called 3 feet Doyle afterall.
    When it comes to PED's, Harang and Dunn do not jump to the front of my list as potential users.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Doyle was clearly on something- he has an extra head growing out of his shoulder and a 3rd foot coming out of the back of his knee. that's why he was called 3 feet Doyle afterall.
    LOL

When it comes to PED's, Harang and Dunn do not jump to the front of my list as potential users.
    If I didn't know better, I'd say Dunn would but unless they put steroids in donuts, I'd say Harang was a non-user.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Imagine Adam Dunn on steroids. He would have hit 70 homers. Accusing Dunn of steroid use is pretty outrageous.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I wonder if this isn't a bit like the occasional "summer of shark attacks". Coverage spikes and makes it seem like there's a big increase in activity, but the reality is that it is only the coverage that changed.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Yeah, Dunn never did any PEDs. Other than that; I am terrified of having appendicitis. Always paranoid when I have a lower stomach ache that isn't quite 'normal'.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

My appendix blew up after I drank of bottle of tequila on my 21st birthday.

I think it was because I threw up so hard.

Pay attention to the open sky

But did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night ?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

I think there is something to this theory because the steroids problem collect in the appendix and over time they corrode all of the quarters and army men and stuff that these guys probably ate as a kid and it makes a nasty chemical reaction with the wads of swallowed gum that are also stored in the appendix.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

As the resident expert in circumstantial evidence of steroid usage, I have this pretty far down on the list of things that make me go hmmmm.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

When I saw this thread's title, I guessed the thread was going to be about putting an appendix into the record book for PED users.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Looks like MLB needs about 54 more players to get it this year just to hit the average occurrence rate over the 800 or so players that are active on a given day.

New theory, maybe PEDS and amphetamine usage strengthens your appendix

Mind blown
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Looks like MLB needs about 54 more players to get it this year just to hit the average occurrence rate over the 800 or so players that are active on a given day.

New theory, maybe PEDS and amphetamine usage strengthens your appendix

Mind blown
    not quite

Appendicitis occurs in 7% of the US population, with an incidence of 1.1 cases per 1000 people per year.
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...overview#a0156

Still, the recent rash is what could be called anecdotal evidence.

Turn Off Ads?