Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't the beat reporters asking Price the questions we all have?

Why aren't the beat reporters asking Price the questions we all have?

I understand not biting the hand that feeds you, but I would think, if asking questions was my job, I'd ask the manager the questions that are on everyone's mind.

Any ideas why that's not the case?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why aren't the beat reporters asking Price the questions we all have?

What's on your mind?
    Name:  red-antique-couch.jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  53.6 KB
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

4. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (05-08-2014)

Got some examples of question you want to know they aren't asking?

First and foremost, looking at Hoover's numbers in his last 10 or so appearances and his being used last night, why bring him in, in a tight spot? Why not Marshall who hasn't pitched recently?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    First and foremost, looking at Hoover's numbers in his last 10 or so appearances and his being used last night, why bring him in, in a tight spot? Why not Marshall who hasn't pitched recently?
    Short answer = He didn't want a LH to face Boston's RH hitters.

Long answer = read his quotes.

"We didn't have (Sam) LeCure," he said. "We knew we didn't have LeCure. My concern was if they had a runner on and a chance to the win the game, I didn't want Gomes or (Xander) Bogaerts hitting off a left-handed pitcher.

"So when Gomes came in, if we didn't get a double play, Hoover was going to have to have (A.J.) Pierzynski. I was OK with that. Hoover's numbers historically have been better against left-handers. And he's been throwing the ball great the last four or five times.

"So I had to put the ball in his hands. We can't use Parra, (Jonathan) Broxton, LeCure every day. We've been getting better production from Hoov. Today it didn't work out."

Norm, thanks for that. I guess he was asked. Where did you get the quote from?

^ Fay's game story on cincinnati.com.

Never mind!

I'm pretty sure I read that question and answer from Price last night.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

The Reds' beat writers don't even break stories that involve the Reds. A guy from the Cleveland Plain Dealer broke the Bailey contract news.

Our guys never break stories, but you want them to ask tough questions? Blasphemy. Allow them to be lazy and write game stories that no one reads. This is what they do well.

John Fay and Mark Sheldon are boring and never break stories. And the next tough question they ask will be their first.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Short answer = He didn't want a LH to face Boston's RH hitters.

Long answer = read his quotes.
    Price talked all offseason about how he doesn't get caught up in the "righty/lefty matchup stuff." Then when explaining why he made the moves he did last night, he says it was basically all because of righty/lefty matchups.

Talk about saying one thing and then doing another. Overall, I like Bryan Price and think he's doing a solid job with the hand he's been dealt (from a short deck). But that left me scratching my head last night because I heard the guy say several times during the offseason that he doesn't make decisions based off righty-lefty matchups.

Stick with your guns, Bryan!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Price talked all offseason about how he doesn't get caught up in the "righty/lefty matchup stuff." Then when explaining why he made the moves he did last night, he says it was basically all because of righty/lefty matchups.

Talk about saying one thing and then doing another. Overall, I like Bryan Price and think he's doing a solid job with the hand he's been dealt (from a short deck). But that left me scratching my head last night because I heard the guy say several times during the offseason that he doesn't make decisions based off righty-lefty matchups.

One of the things I figured out during Jack McKeon's stay with the reds was that the manager can pretty much tell the press anything he wants and the press will knowingly laugh and agree on camera or radio. The manager can then turn around and do something entirely differently than what he was talking about and the press will never call him on it.

Don't pay attention to what Price tells the media. Pay attention to how he uses his players.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

15. Likes:

919191 (05-09-2014),Old school 1983 (05-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post

WHat Price said during the offseason was that he wasn't going to do a lot of only letting the righties pitch to right handed hitters, and only left handers pitching to left handed hitters. Basically when he would bring bring pitchers in to pitch the inning, not only to a few batters.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I think we should come up with a list of questions and forward them to Fay and CTrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I think we should come up with a list of questions and forward them to Fay and CTrent.
    I think that's an awesome idea, honestly.

Turn Off Ads?