Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

He always seems to be a slow starter. Wish I knew why.

2. Turn Off Ads?

My bad for questioning this thread. I just looked at his stats on ESPN and his projection for the season is 250/267/286 with 0 HRs and 41 RBIs. Yikes! I'm now on the bandwagon to get him out of here.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    My bad for questioning this thread. I just looked at his stats on ESPN and his projection for the season is 250/267/286 with 0 HRs and 41 RBIs. Yikes! I'm now on the bandwagon to get him out of here.
    Don't let it happen again.

With all due respect...more often than not it is best to sleep on it before starting up a thread like this. Between this and the EV thread (both started mid-game mind you) it comes across as being totally knee-jerk. Maybe it is not, but lets face it, perception is everything.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'm not suggesting that we 'get him out of here' or anything like that. I think you know that.

I'm just wondering, is he ever going to take the next step and become a difference maker the way Carlos Gonzalez did last season and Troy Tulo and so forth or are we looking at a guy who has reached his peak.

When I first heard people questioning that he had reached his peak, I simply refused to believe it. As it stands, I really don't know. Just seems like he really doubts himself.

I would have bet my mortgage on him being on zero home runs after the first week of action (only guy in the starting lineup) and I would almost bet my mortgage he's on 1 or 2 when April ends and May begins. He has to stop doing this or he's never going to be more than mediocre.

Edit: he's down to .241 now.
    Last edited by Ghosts of 1990; 04-09-2011 at 11:24 PM.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Check that. .241/.258/.276, I think it's a countdown of some kind and I don't want to find out what happens when it hits zero.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I don't really see the reason for jumping on the thread starter here. He's got a legitimate gripe. I don't care if it IS early in the season. Not producing is one thing. Being in a slump is one thing. Having consistently poor ab's and swinging at balls in the dirt consistently is a whole different ballgame. I don't think anybody is under the assumption that he's NOT going to break out of it. It's more along the lines of "at what point do you start to worry?" Why not be pro-active and give him a couple days off. Because at this point, it looks like his head is getting in the way.

And FWIW, I'm one of the bigger Bruce-backers around. I love this kid and think he'll have an absolutely monster year. But as this sort of thing continues...it tends to snowball.

If Bruce stays healthy, he'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 ABs this year. He currently has 29.

Let that sink in for a moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I'm not suggesting that we 'get him out of here' or anything like that. I think you know that.

I'm just wondering, is he ever going to take the next step and become a difference maker the way Carlos Gonzalez did last season and Troy Tulo and so forth or are we looking at a guy who has reached his peak.

When I first heard people questioning that he had reached his peak, I simply refused to believe it. As it stands, I really don't know. Just seems like he really doubts himself.

I would have bet my mortgage on him being on zero home runs after the first week of action (only guy in the starting lineup) and I would almost bet my mortgage he's on 1 or 2 when April ends and May begins. He has to stop doing this or he's never going to be more than mediocre.

Edit: he's down to .241 now.
    He was better than mediocre last year.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If Bruce stays healthy, he'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 ABs this year. He currently has 29.

Let that sink in for a moment.
    Also take into account that Dusty is going to continue to hit him 6th or 7th all year once again because he has no confidence in him either. I think that's part of the problem here too; Bruce's protection is so poor. I think he would get more than curves in the dirt if his protection wasn't Hanigan every night or Gomes when he is lucky every 5th day.

But if he isn't hitting in the top of the lineup he'll have just over 500 at-bats and that's without sustaining any injury.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Also take into account that Dusty is going to continue to hit him 6th or 7th all year once again because he has no confidence in him either. I think that's part of the problem here too; Bruce's protection is so poor. I think he would get more than curves in the dirt if his protection wasn't Hanigan every night or Gomes when he is lucky every 5th day.

But if he isn't hitting in the top of the lineup he'll have just over 500 at-bats and that's without sustaining any injury.
    Out of Bruce's 27 ABs this year, 18 have come hitting 5th and 9 have come hitting 6th.

In what world is 5th "low" in the lineup?

That would be the middle of the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

The Reds are on pace to win 121 games this season.

If they do that, I can live with Bruce OPS'ing .534
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I don't really see the reason for jumping on the thread starter here. He's got a legitimate gripe. I don't care if it IS early in the season. Not producing is one thing. Being in a slump is one thing. Having consistently poor ab's and swinging at balls in the dirt consistently is a whole different ballgame. I don't think anybody is under the assumption that he's NOT going to break out of it. It's more along the lines of "at what point do you start to worry?" Why not be pro-active and give him a couple days off. Because at this point, it looks like his head is getting in the way.

And FWIW, I'm one of the bigger Bruce-backers around. I love this kid and think he'll have an absolutely monster year. But as this sort of thing continues...it tends to snowball.
    You are a reasonable guy Sir so I do see where you are coming from. But I think the post that started this thread would have been better off in the game thread. Firing up a thread titled "When is Bruce going to start hitting" after less than 30 AB is asking for trouble. Again no offense intended by that remark...just stating the obvious.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

No offense was taken on my part, that's for sure. I just thought he was getting jumped on for pointing out a topic worthy of discussion.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-09-2011 at 11:47 PM.

I actually love Jay Bruce. I think he's a great kid and he's easy to root for. If he didn't have serious talent, I wouldn't get frustrated with his performance. I just wish he had confidence in his own game.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I was being very patient with him, but now I'm starting to worry. He needs to get his act together. Then again, he's always been a streaky hitter, so I'm sure he'll snap out of it.

Turn Off Ads?