Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Reactionary to only this entire season and furthermore his career. Save for a few weeks to end 2010 and two weeks to begin his career, he has never looked more than a one dimensional dead pull hitter to me. Do not know where scouts got off saying this guy had what it takes to be special. Most frustrating player I've ever remembered on the Reds and I am not sure exactly why that is.
    I really think you're missing what I'm trying to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Code:

Split           PA   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS
    2011 Totals     76 .257 .303 .371 .674
    Last 7 days     22 .333 .364 .476 .840
    Last 14 days    45 .268 .333 .439 .772
    Last 28 days    76 .257 .303 .371 .674
    Last 365days   583 .288 .355 .488 .843
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 4/23/2011.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ind...ith-jay-bruce/

With every lowball trade offer that comes my way for Jay Bruce, I am often reminded of the words of Winston Churchill who once said, “Continuous effort — not strength or intelligence — is the key to unlocking our potential.” I am also reminded of the words of the recently departed Chuck Tanner — “There are three secrets to managing. The first secret is have patience. The second is be patient. And the third most important secret is patience.” These words couldn’t ring more true.

I think a lot of people are missing the point with Bruce. The issue isn't what his small sample size stats say or even that anyone thinks he's a bad player. This issue, at least for me, is that Jay Bruce appeared to finally get it at the end of 2010. He seemed ready to take that step forward to becoming the consistent middle of the order run producer this team needs to win games over the course of a season. I think the Reds thought so as well or they would have acquired somebody to play that role. Instead, we heard quotes about young players improving and improvement coming from within. Jay Bruce will surely have a hot streak or two in 2011 and his overall numbers will be pretty good IMO. But he won't be the consistent middle of the order bat that this team needs and seems to be counting on. Its not that he's a bad player, but he hasn't become the centerpiece. He's still a keeper.

This thread asks when he'll start hitting. Given his history of prolonged slumps where he contributes little to the offense day in and day out, its a fair question to wonder how long this slump will last. Games are won and lost every day. Long slumps around red hot streaks may show differently in the overall results than how it actually contributes to the W/L recored. Bruce has done a little better lately, but his approach still looks off and a couple of IF hits propping up his numbers over a small smattering of PAs doesn't really mean that he's turned the corner. Anybody watching the games can tell he's not really an asset offensively no matter what the box scores may show.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think a lot of people are missing the point with Bruce. The issue isn't what his small sample size stats say or even that anyone thinks he's a bad player. This issue, at least for me, is that Jay Bruce appeared to finally get it at the end of 2010. He seemed ready to take that step forward to becoming the consistent middle of the order run producer this team needs to win games over the course of a season. I think the Reds thought so as well or they would have acquired somebody to play that role. Instead, we heard quotes about young players improving and improvement coming from within. Jay Bruce will surely have a hot streak or two in 2011 and his overall numbers will be pretty good IMO. But he won't be the consistent middle of the order bat that this team needs and seems to be counting on. Its not that he's a bad player, but he hasn't become the centerpiece. He's still a keeper.

This thread asks when he'll start hitting. Given his history of prolonged slumps where he contributes little to the offense day in and day out, its a fair question to wonder how long this slump will last. Games are won and lost every day. Long slumps around red hot streaks may show differently in the overall results than how it actually contributes to the W/L recored. Bruce has done a little better lately, but his approach still looks off and a couple of IF hits propping up his numbers over a small smattering of PAs doesn't really mean that he's turned the corner. Anybody watching the games can tell he's not really an asset offensively no matter what the box scores may show.
    Exactly. Some might be overreacting here, but the general "concern" is warranted. There is no reason why he cannot be more of a consistent threat in the lineup at this stage. He is 24, not 19. He is also the former #1 prospect in all of baseball. It is still early and all that, but it would be nice to see him start spraying the ball around the stadium.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Couldn't have said it better than the last two posts, after sleeping on it
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I wish Jay would read this...it's great advice. He really needs to learn to be more patient at the dish instead of pressing and trying to jack everything down the right field line.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I wish Jay would read this...it's great advice. He really needs to learn to be more patient at the dish instead of pressing and trying to jack everything down the right field line.
    Bruce has been hitting the ball to LF, most of those are fly outs but he hasn't been trying to pull everything.

Bruce has been hitting the ball to LF, most of those are fly outs but he hasn't been trying to pull everything.
    The whole idea that Bruce is best when he is hitting the ball to left center seems completely off base to me. Brantley tries to make this argument whenever Bruce slaps a single over the shortstops head, but when has Bruce ever hit with any kind of authority going the opposite way? It's almost exclusively weak fly balls and sprayed line drives from what I've seen. I don't know what Bruce's problem is, but going oppo has never been Jay's strong suit and I don't see that changing without a complete swing overhaul. Griffey seemed to do okay pulling the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    The whole idea that Bruce is best when he is hitting the ball to left center seems completely off base to me. Brantley tries to make this argument whenever Bruce slaps a single over the shortstops head, but when has Bruce ever hit with any kind of authority going the opposite way? It's almost exclusively weak fly balls and sprayed line drives from what I've seen. I don't know what Bruce's problem is, but going oppo has never been Jay's strong suit and I don't see that changing without a complete swing overhaul. Griffey seemed to do okay pulling the ball?
    I'm the last guy to go bashing Bruce over the head. I think he will be fine--maybe he won't ever meet everyone's lofty expectations, but he will be fine.

That said, Jay Bruce is no Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

He still will be primarily a pull hitter, but trying to do that while teams pound the outside corner on him contributes to these slumps. Hitting it where its pitched and poking some hits into LF is the best way to break the pattern. I agree that middle in he should be turning on the ball to drive it a long way, but right now he's not getting those chances.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

HR #3 tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Not saying he needs to be an oppo guy. But he needs to learn to either lay off the outside pitches....or hit them to left. Trying to pull them is just an exercise in futility over time for even the best of hitters.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Which is exactly what I used to think about Dunn as well. I used to think he needed to go the other way more when they threw to him outside.....just with his power alone he could drive it far. I got blasted by SteelSD for that one way back in 2002-03. I was not trying to turn him into Tony Gwynn or anything. I just thought it would keep the pitchers somewhat honest.

Anyways.....I guess we are figuring out that he is not very good at going the other way. Whatever happened to SteelSD?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Which is exactly what I used to think about Dunn as well. I used to think he needed to go the other way more when they threw to him outside.....just with his power alone he could drive it far. I got blasted by SteelSD for that one way back in 2002-03. I was not trying to turn him into Tony Gwynn or anything. I just thought it would keep the pitchers somewhat honest.

Anyways.....I guess we are figuring out that he is not very good at going the other way. Whatever happened to SteelSD?
    I've often wondered why Steel hasn't been around. He taught me a lot and I miss him.

Turn Off Ads?