Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Votto, Mesoraco and Pena upon Votto's return

Votto, Mesoraco and Pena upon Votto's return

If we make a major assumption that all 3 of these guys can stay healthy at the same time how would you like to see the playing time shake out? In the summer you get about 1 day off every 2 weeks, so lets just say in a 13 day stretch of 13 straight games how should Price divide the playing time and at what positions? This is also assuming Votto isn't going to regain his MVP form this season.

I've heard giving Mes some PT in LF as an option. He obviously has decent enough speed to play out there but are there any comps of players going from exclusively catcher to the outfield so suddenly? Would this affect his D behind the plate? This could be ugly but would it be uglier than watching Heisey/Bernadina/Ludwick at the plate?

I don't see how Pena can only play 1 or 2 days a week. Even this scenario takes one of your best hitters out of the lineup almost half the time.

Example:
    Mes: C 8 games, LF 3 games, off 2 games
    Votto: 1B 11 games, off 2 games
    Pena: C 5 games, 1B 2 games, off 6 games

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto, Mesoraco and Pena upon Votto's return

I suggested Pena play LF in the other thread to stay in the line-up, spelling all three positions. There have been lots of great catchers play OF, Johnny Bench, Brian Downing, Thurman Munson, Ted Simmons, Yogi Berra to name a few.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Pretty simple. Votto starts at first. Mes is the starting catcher. Pena backs up.

Not that complex really.

5. Likes:

Big Klu (06-01-2014),bigredmechanism (05-30-2014)

There's a long tradition in baseball of playing a hitter in LF regardless of defense. I remember when Yogi Berra played LF.

I agree that if Ludwick continues his slide, the Reds might put Mesoraco or Pena in LF on a few occasions. You'd think Mes because he probably has a bit more speed.

Didn't they try to steal a base with Pena? If a guy can try to steal he can play LF, LOL.

Pena has stolen a couple this year. Outright blatant surprise thefts. Pena isn't fast but he is a smart player. Picking him up was a golden touch that I didn't recognize but he is almost the quintessential backup guy. Hits fairly well. Plays decent enough defense wherever he plays. Good enough ballplayer to take on a new position and do it decently. Plus great attitude and clubhouse guy by all accounts.

As Monds said - it's simple. Votto and Mes start, Pena is the backup. I could see Mes getting some time in LF if his hitting continues, though.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 05-31-2014 at 12:39 AM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Pretty simple. Votto starts at first. Mes is the starting catcher. Pena backs up.

Not that complex really.
    It is simple, as anemic as this offense is, it's whatever it takes to keep the 4th best OPS in the line-up.

Turn Off Ads?