Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Bruce looks like Ted Williams in comparison to Rolen and Janish lately.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Why is it odd? Bruce has been struggling at the plate over the past few days. When they switch its not like they are putting Gomes in their for Bruce, its Heisey who is a good defender in his own right.

It may be more telling on Bruce at this stage in his development that he is getting double switched out of games.
    He tweaked his groin last week, chances are health plays into that more than anything.

Especially considering the loyalty that Baker exhibits.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Bruce looks like Ted Williams in comparison to Rolen and Janish lately.
    Don't forget Hanigan. He's struggling just as badly as Scott & Paul right now. Although Paul had a pretty decent game today. 1 for 3 with a walk and 2 ribeyes.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Don't forget Hanigan. He's struggling just as badly as Scott & Paul right now. Although Paul had a pretty decent game today. 1 for 3 with a walk and 2 ribeyes.
    Actually back to the original subject of the thread, the last week has almost been disconcerting in a way, in that Bruce hasn't really hit poorly, he just hasn't done anything off the charts either way.

In the last week he's 8 for 25, he's walked twice, but he has only 2 extra base hits.

I'm not sure whether to be encouraged that he's not going through an 0 for 18 week long slump, or discouraged that he's not failing but it's hard to say he's really doing well either.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Regardless of the results, Bruce does not look good at the plate, and even worse in pressure situations (I know, I know...there is no "clutch").
    Let's hope he gets straightened up before his contract is over.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Ya know all those Old Dudes in the HOF?

They were judged by their CARREER TOTALS.

Those CARREER TOTALS were made up of SEASON TOTALS.

We have to stop this nonsense about so and so had a good April, June and Aug. but sucked the rest of the season.

The Season Totals go on the back of the baseball cards not day to day boxscores.

(end rant)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Ya know all those Old Dudes in the HOF?

They were judged by their CARREER TOTALS.

Those CARREER TOTALS were made up of SEASON TOTALS.

We have to stop this nonsense about so and so had a good April, June and Aug. but sucked the rest of the season.

The Season Totals go on the back of the baseball cards not day to day boxscores.

(end rant)
    Yeah, but that's only because they didn't want to print baseball cards that were the size of billboards. Just think how big the gum would be. *grin*

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Sigh, he's been terrible this year. He's hit about two line drives all year long. I don't care how many want to come into this thread and rip me, whatever. I'd love more than anything to say this kid is a player but he has regressed completely and totally since he was called up! Let's call a spade a spade, he was a more complete hitter, having better at bats, working counts, and using all fields when he was 21 years old.

Someone last year said it best--I am like the kid who got a new toy and now they're not happy with the new toy now that it's out of the box. That's exactly how I feel.

What is it about this kid and his nervous pervous nice guy approach in the box? Night in and night out he just doesn't get it done in big spots or his poorer performance is masked by a 1-4 in which he did some VERY bad things. He is Ben Grieve II. He will be no more than that as a Major Leaguer. Remember I said that.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'm speechless at the above.

IMHO, it's kind of disappointing that reactionary commentary has to keep a thread from potentially being a terrific source of discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    IMHO, it's kind of disappointing that reactionary commentary has to keep a thread from potentially being a terrific source of discussion.
    Reactionary to only this entire season and furthermore his career. Save for a few weeks to end 2010 and two weeks to begin his career, he has never looked more than a one dimensional dead pull hitter to me. Do not know where scouts got off saying this guy had what it takes to be special. Most frustrating player I've ever remembered on the Reds and I am not sure exactly why that is.
    Last edited by Ghosts of 1990; 04-23-2011 at 01:56 AM.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Bruce has 21 Ks, 5 walks, and 7 RBIs this year. His OBP is barely above .300.

He seems to be way overanxious at the plate. Hopefully, his uppercut isn't back - he seems to be popping up a lot of pitches.

Maybe Reds can hire Jim Edmonds to come back as Jay's personal coach.

Not a good game for JB tonight. Hopefully tomorrow against Carpenter will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Reactionary to only this entire season and furthermore his career. Save for a few weeks to end 2010 and two weeks to begin his career, he has never looked more than a one dimensional dead pull hitter to me. Do not know where scouts got off saying this guy had what it takes to be special. Most frustrating player I've ever remembered on the Reds and I am not sure exactly why that is.
    So you're going to diminish a guy who finished last year (a season where he had FIVE HUNDRED at bats) with a damn good .281/.353/.493/.846 OPS and a GG caliber RFer as a 23 year old as somebody who only had a few good weeks at the end of 2010 and two weeks to begin his career? Really?

Fun fact, when Joey Votto was in the first month in his 24 year old season he was splitting ABs with Scott Hatteberg.

I know this is a foreign word to this place, but be patient, Bruce will be fine.

For whatever you want to say about Bruce, his SLG the first three years of his career were .453 .470 ..493. When he hits the ball, it goes far and for extra bases. His current SLG% this year is .379. Unless Jay Bruce magically lost all of his power as a 24 year old, that's going to change.

For whatever reason, there are groups of people on this board who have serious axes to grind with Jay Bruce and Edinson Volquez. And it's painful to read.
    Last edited by reds44; 04-23-2011 at 05:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Remember I said that.
    As if we'd be allowed to forget.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Fun fact, when Joey Votto was in the first month in his 24 year old season he was splitting ABs with Scott Hatteberg.

I know this is a foreign word to this place, but be patient, Bruce will be fine.

For whatever you want to say about Bruce, his SLG the first three years of his career were .453 .470 ..493. When he hits the ball, it goes far and for extra bases. His current SLG% this year is .379. Unless Jay Bruce magically lost all of his power as a 24 year old, that's going to change.

For whatever reason, there are groups of people on this board who have serious axes to grind with Jay Bruce and Edinson Volquez. And it's painful to read.
    I think the concerns are legitimate. The Votto comparison is unfair to Votto, IMO. Joey was held back, although he may have been majors-ready at 21 or 22 when he was tearing up the southern league. Ask Votto, and he probably thinks so.

He has always appeared solid at the plate and his improvement since coming up should be considered a refining of his craft, rather than a development of his skills.

Bruce, on the other hand, goes through periods of cluelessness and awesomeness, which have many of us baffled. Why? Because we're not sure that that's not his game. Is he going to "develop" out of his bad habits or are rivals going to continue to discover his weaknesses and exploit them?

I hope for the former, but the latter cannot be dismissed.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?