Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 660

Thread: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

  1. #151
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Because it's true. BTW this is a good Reds read for anyone who has insider. "Reds - Winning with defense"

    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insid...ory?id=6328611

    Meanwhile, Jay Bruce deserved some postseason hardware of his own last year, saving more than 20 runs above the average major league right fielder, easily the best mark for anyone at that position. (Multiyear UZR figures tend to be more reliable, and Bruce was excellent defensively in '09, too.)
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-13-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #152
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Didn't Ichiro drop a flyball in the first series of this season? IIRC, he did. It happens to the best of them. I've seen Andruw Jones drop a flyball in his prime.

    That jump Bruce got on that flyball last night was unbelievable. I thought for sure it was a game winning hit off the bat. Judging from Brandon Phillips reaction, he thought it was falling in too.

    I also thought Bruce looked better at the plate last night. 1-for-3 with two walks. Usually when he starts drawing walks he starts hitting too.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-13-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  4. #153
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Because it's true.
    Nice. In order to make a claim like that, you should have something to back it up. "Far and away the best in baseball" is a huge friggin nut.

  5. #154
    Member Tom Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,413

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Before we get carried away with the hyperbole, didn't he flub a routine fly ball the other night? He is obviously a huge asset in the field but do guys like Ichiro drop fly balls like that?
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/texas...2-rangers-runs
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

  6. #155
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Nice. In order to make a claim like that, you should have something to back it up. "Far and away the best in baseball" is a huge friggin nut.
    I figured you'd say that. Look ^
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  7. #156
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Just found this...Ichiro dropped a ball on April 4th against the Rangers...

    Indeed, the Mariners didn't lose because they surrendered; they lost because they tried and played worse. They lost in large part because they put runners on second and third with nobody out in consecutive innings and came away with two runs, and they lost in large part because Ichiro dropped a line drive that indirectly led to the Rangers scoring two runs of their own. That is a pretty sure recipe for defeat.
    http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2011/4...rs-erik-bedard

    Edit - Tom Servo beat me to it.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  8. #157
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Whoops. My bad.

  9. #158
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,663

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?



    Unpossible

  10. Likes:

    reds44 (04-18-2014)

  11. #159
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I figured you'd say that. Look ^
    More reasons why UZR is such an abused metric. It is supposed to be looked at in a minimum of 3 year intervals, right? Check out Bruce's fluctuations. Janish's. Braun's. Braun went from horrifying to above average in one or two years.

    Let's just enjoy that the guy is really good out there instead. Of going for "the best by far". And people wonder why expectations get out of line once in a while.

  12. #160
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    More reasons why UZR is such an abused metric. It is supposed to be looked at in a minimum of 3 year intervals, right? Check out Bruce's fluctuations. Janish's. Braun's. Braun went from horrifying to above average in one or two years.

    Let's just enjoy that the guy is really good out there instead. Of going for "the best by far". And people wonder why expectations get out of line once in a while.
    And figured you'd discount it too......
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  13. #161
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    And figured you'd discount it too......
    I'm not discounting the fact thy he plays great defense. I am discounting using one year of UZR as evidence of anything. Especially when it is universally known to be unreliable in one year samples. Bruce has close to 3 years of data available. Use it.

  14. #162
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm not discounting the fact thy he plays great defense. I am discounting using one year of UZR as evidence of anything. Especially when it is universally known to be unreliable in one year samples. Bruce has close to 3 years of data available. Use it.
    How about you use it Ed! You asked for something I gave you something and as the quote says 2 years running. If it's not your idea or Walts..........
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  15. #163
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    More reasons why UZR is such an abused metric. It is supposed to be looked at in a minimum of 3 year intervals, right? Check out Bruce's fluctuations. Janish's. Braun's. Braun went from horrifying to above average in one or two years.

    Let's just enjoy that the guy is really good out there instead. Of going for "the best by far". And people wonder why expectations get out of line once in a while.
    Bruce's #'s are showing a trend towards being the defender that any scout (or any person) would tell you he is.

    Braun's UZR fluctuated a lot because he changed positions. As a left fielder, with 3 years of data, he's a below average LF, and a horrible 3B.

    Bruce was approximately 20 runs above average last year as a right fielder. I don't think there is anyone here would disagree that that is a pretty accurate assessment of his defense in RF.

  16. #164
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    How about you use it Ed! You asked for something I gave you something and as the quote says 2 years running. If it's not your idea or Walts..........
    Over the last 3 years, Bruce is ranked 4th by that same metric. Difficult to say he is the best "by far". Very difficult.

  17. #165
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,045

    Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

    I imagine you guys won't like this, but chop away at it:

    This is from Lance Mcalister. It's not bad.
    http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

    Bruce=Kearns?
    Interesting comparison by listener Mike from Marysville.
    Stats for Austin Kearns through his first 365 games with the Reds and for Jay Bruce through his first 366 games (entering Tuesday) with the Reds.
    Kearns/Bruce
    Game: 365/366
    PA: 1467/1452
    AB: 1268/1305
    R: 195/193
    H: 337/333
    2B: 71/57
    3B: 6/8
    HR: 55/68
    RBI: 213/183
    SB: 13/14
    BB: 171/130
    SO: 327/336
    BA: .266/.255
    OBP: .360/.324
    SLG: .461/.467
    OPS: .821/.791
    My only thing is that Kearns was actually pretty good in his first 365 games as a Red. Actually, at some points VERY good. From there he went in the toilet. There were injuries. He was a year older than Bruce. He didn't work as hard as he should have.

    But that's why right now is crucial with Bruce. The cement is about to harden I believe.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25