Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Reading stuff by Lance is probably the only thing worse than listening to him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I imagine you guys won't like this, but chop away at it:

This is from Lance Mcalister. It's not bad.
    http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

My only thing is that Kearns was actually pretty good in his first 365 games as a Red. Actually, at some points VERY good. From there he went in the toilet. There were injuries. He was a year older than Bruce. He didn't work as hard as he should have.

But that's why right now is crucial with Bruce. The cement is about to harden I believe.

Hopefully Ray "burger" King won't land on Bruce, either.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Errors happen. Errors happen to even the best of the best. Heck just the other day Pujols booted a throw to first that any little leaguer would be able to catch. I don't think errors should have anything to do when talking about the best defenders in the league. An error for a good defender is a fluke, a loss of concentration, losing the ball in the lights or sun. That is completely different than getting to a ball that is out of zone.

Bruce looked comfortable at the plate last night for the first time since the opening series. He had a hit off the lefty and also walked twice, which usually means he's about to start hitting...so, tonight he's on the bench vs a RHP. I don't understand that at all.

My only thing is that Kearns was actually pretty good in his first 365 games as a Red. Actually, at some points VERY good. From there he went in the toilet. There were injuries. He was a year older than Bruce. He didn't work as hard as he should have.

But that's why right now is crucial with Bruce. The cement is about to harden I believe.
    This is part of the reason that trying to make direct comparisons to another player makes for a bad analogy.

Of the players who had on average 200 RBIs in their first 1300 AB's how many ended up being great?
    There's a reason everyone was so excited about Austin Kearns when he put up these numbers.

This is like saying no one should ever get 4,192 hits, everyone else who has done that was banned from baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    This is part of the reason that trying to make direct comparisons to another player makes for a bad analogy.

Of the players who had on average 200 RBIs in their first 1300 AB's how many ended up being great?
    There's a reason everyone was so excited about Austin Kearns when he put up these numbers.

This is like saying no one should ever get 4,192 hits, everyone else who has done that was banned from baseball.
    I had the same feeling watching him yesterday. He just seemed more comfortable up there. Really odd that he'd be sitting today, though I imagine Dusty is trying to get Heisey more PA.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Dumb move by Dusty. As horrible as Bruce has been; where went the players manager who should understand that inspiring confidence goes a long way?

What is with this hitting Bruce 7th, protecting him with Janish, sitting him AGAIN especially this time vs. a RHP, it makes no sense.

I hope Heisey never gets a hit again for the way that Dusty is with this stuff. Nothing I loved more than seeing Dusty run Heisey out there every day last year and Heisey did exactly what we all knew would happen when he played everyday, he became a .250 hitter. Loved it when Gomes couldn't hit a lick down the stretch. Dusty asked for it.

Dusty will get that just dessert tonight and the Reds will get about 6 hits. Keep platooning Bruce, Dusty. It will honestly get us nowhere. He needs ran out there every single day, regardless of LHP or RHP, struggling or not. Even if you want to hit him 8.
    Last edited by The Operator; 04-13-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I hope Heisey never gets a hit again for the way that Dusty is with this stuff. He's an imbecile.
    Really?

Wow I bet your wish doesn't come true

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

And thus the reason why I am starting to like the NHL so much. When one of your top goal scorers over the years hasn't scored in a while, he doesn't take a seat, or start being sat on shifts. If anything he plays more or on the powerplay more.

Dusty defies good baseball logic with his lineup management skills.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I hope Heisey never gets a hit again for the way that Dusty is with this stuff. Nothing I loved more than seeing Dusty run Heisey out there every day last year and Heisey did exactly what we all knew would happen when he played everyday, he became a .250 hitter. Loved it when Gomes couldn't hit a lick down the stretch. Dusty asked for it.

Dusty will get that just dessert tonight and the Reds will get about 6 hits. Keep platooning Bruce, Dusty. It will honestly get us nowhere. He needs ran out there every single day, regardless of LHP or RHP, struggling or not. Even if you want to hit him 8.
    Wow. Why would a Reds fan root against a Reds player?
    Last edited by The Operator; 04-13-2011 at 05:51 PM.

And thus the reason why I am starting to like the NHL so much. When one of your top goal scorers over the years hasn't scored in a while, he doesn't take a seat, or start being sat on shifts. If anything he plays more or on the powerplay more.

Maybe Bruce doesn't feel well.

Maybe Heisey hits Stauffer particularly well.

Maybe Bruce has a scheduled off day to allow for two consecutive days off.

There are a number of reasons why Bruce could be out today and I don't think Dusty should be criticized until he responds on this point. At least wait until you hear the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

There are a number of reasons why Bruce could be out today and I don't think Dusty should be criticized until he responds on this point. At least wait until you hear the explanation.
    I know whenever a guy is scuffling and they have a bout of effectiveness all of sudden Dusty inexplicably sits them directly afterwards. I think sometimes it is warranted but with Bruce he should rarely sit, his defense alone isn't replaceable out there. Heisey does a good job out there and better than alot of teams could expect for a backup but still. Bottom line with this move is no doubt "Heisey is the hot hitter right now and Jay has been scuffling a little bit even though he started looking a little better last night he could use a day to sit and watch". Something very much resembling that quote is what we will hear form Dusty.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Wow. Why would a Reds fan root against a Reds player?
    Consider the source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Hockey is a 4 line sport of intense 2 minute shift delegated action and is a constant moving back and forth sport.

It's nothing at all like baseball.

Except when comparing the impact of a goalie and a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Exactly. So many times moves get questioned. Fans know 2% of the story. Management knows his value. They aren't drawing lineups out of a hat and they aren't picking on him.

Turn Off Ads?