Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

If you want Bruce to start hitting you play him, simple. You might to look to rest his a bit more agaisnt a particularly tough lefty, but sending him to the bench "until he starts hitting" means you have likely stretched out he time period until he starts hitting.

Bruce is a special talent. He needs to play and he will reward us. He actually looked much better at the plate last night and I certainly wouldn't be benching him now. His 12th inning walk was well earned and preceeded 4 insurance runs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Per Fay, Bruce tweaked his groin but is available tonight.
    And there you go. Though I'm quick to criticize, I'm definitely learning to give the benefit of the doubt...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Consider the source.
    I always do when I read JayBruce32, err, Ghosts of 1990's posts. Especially after this gem last season:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=276

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Errors happen. Errors happen to even the best of the best. Heck just the other day Pujols booted a throw to first that any little leaguer would be able to catch. I don't think errors should have anything to do when talking about the best defenders in the league. An error for a good defender is a fluke, a loss of concentration, losing the ball in the lights or sun. That is completely different than getting to a ball that is out of zone.

Exactly. I think ed just likes to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Dumb move by Dusty. As horrible as Bruce has been; where went the players manager who should understand that inspiring confidence goes a long way?

What is with this hitting Bruce 7th, protecting him with Janish, sitting him AGAIN especially this time vs. a RHP, it makes no sense.

I hope Heisey never gets a hit again for the way that Dusty is with this stuff. Nothing I loved more than seeing Dusty run Heisey out there every day last year and Heisey did exactly what we all knew would happen when he played everyday, he became a .250 hitter. Loved it when Gomes couldn't hit a lick down the stretch. Dusty asked for it.

Dusty will get that just dessert tonight and the Reds will get about 6 hits. Keep platooning Bruce, Dusty. It will honestly get us nowhere. He needs ran out there every single day, regardless of LHP or RHP, struggling or not. Even if you want to hit him 8.
    WOW!!!

Disclaimer. This is just my honest opinion but I believe Jay Bruce has the talent to become the best all around player that the Reds have started everyday in RF since Frank Robinson. Will it come to pass? Who knows?

Like I said it's just my humble and honest opinion. Let's enjoy the ride on the 2011 season.

Is Bruce generally a slow starter?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Is Bruce generally a slow starter?
    He has been. If you just look at last year and 10 games this season.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-14-2011 at 04:03 AM.

It's his second full year in the majors. I don't think it's fair to put any label on him at this point.

He's got all of 41 ABs to this point. If he has a stretch in July when he's 9-41 people will be like "oh Jay has been scuffling lately" and barely bat an eye at it.

He'll be fine.

EDIT: Also, if "Heisey became what we knew he played everyday" and you loved that "Gomes couldn't hit a lick down the stretch" who exactly was supposed to be playing in LF last September?
    Last edited by reds44; 04-14-2011 at 03:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It's his second full year in the majors. I don't think it's fair to put any label on him at this point.

He's got all of 41 ABs to this point. If he has a stretch in July when he's 9-41 people will be like "oh Jay has been scuffling lately" and barely bat an eye at it.

He'll be fine.

EDIT: Also, if "Heisey became what we knew he played everyday" and you loved that "Gomes couldn't hit a lick down the stretch" who exactly was supposed to be playing in LF last September?
    To be fair, he is closing in on 1500 major league PAs. He isn't in his second full season in the majors the same way that Leake is. Huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Exactly. I think ed just likes to argue.
    Sometimes, but i just thought that it is ironic that we have posters talking about expectations and he's still young an all that, and then in the same thread we are saying things like he is far and away the best defensive RFer in baseball. Just ironic.

I know the party line is that Jay is a great defender and I don't think anyone will dispute that. But why do we always have to go to the extreme? This guy has the potential to be a top 5 starter in the league, this one is a #1 starter, that one will be an MVP candidate. And then when they don't hit their targets, some end up being disappointed. Can you blame them?

Is Bruce the 2nd best RF on the Reds? Heisey was flashing some serious leather out there last night. I actually think Heisey is a bit faster and quicker and gets the same jump on the ball.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Is Bruce the 2nd best RF on the Reds? Heisey was flashing some serious leather out there last night. I actually think Heisey is a bit faster and quicker and gets the same jump on the ball.
    No. I'd say they're similar in regards to speed and maybe their jumps on the ball, but I'd give an edge to Jay. However, once you factor in the arm...it's no contest.

Disagree on all points very strongly. The first diving catch that Heisey had was because of a bad jump. 2nd catch was incredible and I can't take anything away from that, but he also had a terrible play on a line drive that he dropped but was lucky that there was someone on 2nd so he was at least able to get the force at 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Disagree on all points very strongly. The first diving catch that Heisey had was because of a bad jump. 2nd catch was incredible and I can't take anything away from that, but he also had a terrible play on a line drive that he dropped but was lucky that there was someone on 2nd so he was at least able to get the force at 2nd.
    Lost the ball in the sun. I don't have an issue with someone losing the ball in the sun.

Turn Off Ads?