Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Not sure what point you're making. That Al Kaline was a hell of a player at age 20? That he was way ahead of Jay Bruce at the same age? That Jay Bruce is no Al Kaline?
    That he OPS'd under .800 in 1960, and that the path to being a star is not a perfect one.

In his late 20's Kaline was regularly derided for not being who he was at 20, it's a shame because he was really great then too.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I do believe that Bruce is struggling this season, but the belief that he should be a stud NOW is one more wrapped in fantasy than reality, especially considering his age.
    I think it's at least fair to consider the idea (as was brought up on ESPN.com a few months ago: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...ached-his-peak) that Bruce has no improvement left in the tank and, as an offensive ballplayer, he's WYSIWYG at this point.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Another issue is that Dusty sits Bruce vs. lefties, which he has substantially more success against. Of all of our OF currently on the roster, in the last year Bruce has stroked them the best. Last night he was going to sit in favor of a Heisey/Stubbs/Gomes combo, I assume that will be the deal tonight. And then Wandy Rodriguez going tomorrow, who Bruce is 1 for 20 lifetime with no walks and 12 K's. With the off day yesterday, why would Dusty sit him tonight; presumably throw him out there against Wandy tomorrow after an off day yesterday? Not a way to keep a guy hot. Dusty compounds the Bruce problem or problems in my opinion.

When Rolen gets back, I'm sure Dusty will put Bruce back in the 5 and 6 hole on most nights, even 7th. Bruce should be hitting 2nd for the rest of the year in front of Votto, if they're truly trying to get the most out of him as a developing young player. It does us no good to have a combination of Phillips, Renteria and whatever else the cat drags in hitting 2nd and Bruce 6th or 7th.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

To me, Bruce's stance is bothersome. I just don't like watching his AB's because I get the sensation that the outside corner is in Australia.

I wish he'd try lowering his elbow so there is less motion and more control. It just bothers me.

I've said, I'd rather watch a Hanigan AB with the game on the line because I know he won't likely strike out and he'll battle the pitcher. Two entirely different hitters, I know, and Bruce is more likely to win a game for you in many ways, but when you see 3-4 regions of the strike zone that the pitcher can live in during an important at bat, it gets uncomfortable.

The scary thing is, his K rate this year isn't really out of the norm for his entire minor and major league career. That is one aspect that seems to be here to stay, which is to say, get used to much of the same from Bruce.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Another issue is that Dusty sits Bruce vs. lefties, which he has substantially more success against. Of all of our OF currently on the roster, in the last year Bruce has stroked them the best. Last night he was going to sit in favor of a Heisey/Stubbs/Gomes combo, I assume that will be the deal tonight. And then Wandy Rodriguez going tomorrow, who Bruce is 1 for 20 lifetime with no walks and 12 K's. With the off day yesterday, why would Dusty sit him tonight; presumably throw him out there against Wandy tomorrow after an off day yesterday? Not a way to keep a guy hot. Dusty compounds the Bruce problem or problems in my opinion.

When Rolen gets back, I'm sure Dusty will put Bruce back in the 5 and 6 hole on most nights, even 7th. Bruce should be hitting 2nd for the rest of the year in front of Votto, if they're truly trying to get the most out of him as a developing young player. It does us no good to have a combination of Phillips, Renteria and whatever else the cat drags in hitting 2nd and Bruce 6th or 7th.
    Jay Bruce's problems are Jay Bruce's problems. Jay Bruce sits out very few games. I don't get blaming Dusty for Jay's problems.

It seems to me there's a lot of statistically unjustifiable angst here over Bruce. He's OPSing .716 through 28 games, which has got to be perfectly within ordinary levels of statistical variance for a guy we might expect to do .850 for the year (at least now, as a 24 year old). Brandon Phillips is currently OPSing .954, as against a .751 lifetime--a far greater variation. But I don't see a thread asking, "When is Phillips going to stop hitting?" Perhaps there should be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Jay Bruce has the 2nd most PAs vs LHPs on the team this season behind Votto.

The Reds are also facing RHP Aneury Rodriguez tomorrow, not Wandy Rodriguez.

Other than that, I guess I have no concerns with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    It seems to me there's a lot of statistically unjustifiable angst here over Bruce. He's OPSing .716 through 28 games, which has got to be perfectly within ordinary levels of statistical variance for a guy we might expect to do .850 for the year (at least now, as a 24 year old). Brandon Phillips is currently OPSing .954, as against a .751 lifetime--a far greater variation. But I don't see a thread asking, "When is Phillips going to stop hitting?" Perhaps there should be one.
    Thats because no one wants Phillips to stop hitting On the other hand, everyone wants Bruce to start hitting more. If Phillips stops hitting now I am totally blaming you

There are 6 non-P younger than Bruce in top 3 levels for Reds. Just a point to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I think it's at least fair to consider the idea (as was brought up on ESPN.com a few months ago: http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...ached-his-peak) that Bruce has no improvement left in the tank and, as an offensive ballplayer, he's WYSIWYG at this point.
    Is it "fair" to consider it? Sure. Is it realistic to expect it? No.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There were 56 major leaguers that had an OPS of .800 or higher. Break the number down -- there are only 254 starting players in the major leagues, so that means roughly 22% of all big league starters had an OPS of .800 or better. If you break it down to just outfielders, there are 25 guys on the list with an OPS over .800, which works out to 27% of all ML outfielders.

That doesn't exactly scream "rare" to me.
    And there are ~416 (using 13 per club) Major league position players in the majors at any given time which means Bruce is top 10% of the league. The point was can you cheaply go fill that spot in the order with one of those other 415 players for cheap that is OPS' over .800 over the course of the entire season?
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Jay Bruce has the 2nd most PAs vs LHPs on the team this season behind Votto.

The Reds are also facing RHP Aneury Rodriguez tomorrow, not Wandy Rodriguez.

Other than that, I guess I have no concerns with this post.
    Easily the post of the day.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

How is it weak?

5% of the players in MLB history have had as many ab's as Bruce has by his age, that's a small group of folks out of the myriad of bodies this game has chewed up.

I do believe that Bruce is struggling this season, but the belief that he should be a stud NOW is one more wrapped in fantasy than reality, especially considering his age.
    Per the GM, this team was built around the concept of improvement from within. Reading between the lines, I take that to mean Bruce steps up to elite Status. I agree with those who say he's very good. For this team to be the power we want it to be, he needs to be better than very good. There really isn't anyone else to step forward.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    There are 6 non-P younger than Bruce in top 3 levels for Reds. Just a point to consider.
    Keep in mind that Jay Bruce is only 5 days older than Yonder Alonso.

Yes, yes..... and yes.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?