Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Re: So when is Bruce going to start hitting?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Jay Bruce is 24 years old. It think he still has plenty of time to become the player Reds fans hope he can. As has been mentioned, one minor alteration in his approach could lead to a totally different hitter then we are seeing right now. Regardless, I wouldn't trade that defense for anything. Though I would buy Mr. Bruce some sunglasses!
    I would. I'd trade that defense for a mulligan on the Hamilton for Volquez disaster.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Question from an outside observer:

Offensively, are Colby Rasmus and Jay Bruce the same player right now?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post

They're pretty darn simliar. Hard to make a strong case that they're not. Bruce showed a bit more power in the minors and has 6 months on Rasmus, but they've performed similarly when you take BABIP in to account.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    They're pretty darn simliar. Hard to make a strong case that they're not. Bruce showed a bit more power in the minors and has 6 months on Rasmus, but they've performed similarly when you take BABIP in to account.
    Yeah, I was looking at their numbers and it is shocking how similar their stats are, esp. last season. They were both even taken in the same round in 2005. The one thing I will give Rasmus is that he has better speed. Bruce clearly has superior defense though. It is going to be interesting to see which of these two ends up being better for their respective ball clubs. Rasmus started out hot last year so maybe this hot start he has thus far is just fools gold. However, unlike last year, TLR will be forced to play Rasmus all season so that could help boost Rasmus stats.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Rasmus have better years, at time, than Bruce but Bruce having an overall better career. Rasmus just has too much JD Drew in him without the injuries, in my opinion.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post

I think 7 or 8 of 10 non-biased observers would say Rasmus is a more complete offensive player. He definitely uses the whole field better. Might not have as good of home run power, but I think edge Rasmus. And I hate Rasmus, I think he's a dirtbag kid.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I'm starting to feel like this is schtick. Right? It's hard to get internet humor, but this isn't serious is it?
    This and the Volquez threads are just epic fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think that you might be in the minority for thinking this though.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I think that you might be in the minority for thinking this though.
    I don't care. They're both epic overreactions. I don't need people to agree with me to know that.

Especially this thread.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't care. They're both epic overreactions. I don't need people to agree with me to know that.

Especially this thread.
    Volquez is throwing another beaut' tonight. I don't think this thread nor the Volquez thread were an overreaction, and I haven't even posted in the Volquez thread. Both guys are messes right now. Until something changes I think its worthy of a discussion.

Something is looking like epic fail tonight...

It's impressive that you two managed to jump the gun about jumping the gun tonight. Not an easy feat to accomplish.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Volquez is throwing another beaut' tonight. I don't think this thread nor the Volquez thread were an overreaction, and I haven't even posted in the Volquez thread. Both guys are messes right now. Until something changes I think its worthy of a discussion.
    One inning does not a game make.

When are posters going to learn that?

Especially with Volquez.

Especially this thread.
    This poster agrees.

Ever since the Reds started winning a bunch of new posters jump on board and simply don't understand what a small sample size in baseball means.

In baseball, you can't judge anything on a small sample size. The randomness is so huge you can't make any conclusion based on one inning or a few AB's. Or even 50 AB's.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Something is looking like epic fail tonight...

As a reminder, I'm going to give one final warning on a post I already publicly agreed with in the Volquez thread that is similar to this one:

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg
    Also, for all the posts mocking the OP and calling this thread absurd and Sun Deck-ish, I find it amazing that this thread is now going on 8 pages. If it's so absurd, you'd think it would be ignored.

There are several threads started that I find silly, but I don't comment how silly they are and put down two sides in the process (the Sun Deck and the OP). Might I suggest simply ignoring a poster if you cannot tolerate reading an opinion that differs with yours or if you think a thread is silly. Enough of the personal and ad hominem stuff.
    If you want to debate the topic, by all means, do so, but otherwise, ignore it and move on.

Turn Off Ads?