Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Reds vs. Diamondbacks 4/10/2011

Re: Reds vs. Diamondbacks 4/10/2011

The guy nibbles. Has all this great stuff and he nibbles. You think it would get through to him by now...but it does not. Hanging his off speed stuff and doing what Cordero does....away ...away with his fastball until he has to bring it right down the pipe.

Just like the Juan F AB.....You think some of the coaches did not tell him or have told him to shorten his swing with 2 strikes by now?

You know when this team was not very good....I was not that upset or anything ...It would just be another game. NOW this team is better and stuff like this gets old. I like Juan but I think you would rather have an actual "old veteran" on the bench for this type of role. I mean JJ Putz? This guys arm was done and he is not the same pitcher that he had been in Seattle. A hitter with a clue or a plan would have done a better job. Now since I did not see the AB...maybe it was a good AB and the pitcher won this time. What about Bruce? This is the kind of guy he should hit...but since it is early and all is well....not going to sound like a troll for getting on his case.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Gone today and listened to this debacle (Marty's words) in the car on the old BB. Just one observation: Nick Masset has been the reason for two of the 3 losses this year In his last two appearances, he's pitched 3 innings allowing 7 hits, 5 runs, walked 2 and struck out 2. ERA is 15.00 in those two games, and 11.25 overall. Yes, he did this last season and settled down, but how much can you trust him to come in games now? Dusty avoided him on Friday and Saturday, but after the mess against Houston, he comes back and has problems. Could it be mechanics?
    I love his talent, but I always get nervous with the game on the line and Masset on the mound.

This might be the source of his problem:

Code:
    2 out  	      .284	.385	.430	.815
    2 outs, RISP  .271	.386	.436	.821
    For some reason, he has a hard time getting that third out. Those are career numbers.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I love his talent, but I always get nervous with the game on the line and Masset on the mound.

This might be the source of his problem:

Code:
    2 out  	      .284	.385	.430	.815
    2 outs, RISP  .271	.386	.436	.821
    For some reason, he has a hard time getting that third out. Those are career numbers.
    Alarming statistics and just about what I've seen but had no statistical verification. This tells it all. Nibbling creates opportunity for the other team apparently.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I liked the observation made yesterday by the Cowboy, and how Masset relies TOO MUCH on one pitch (breaking ball), especially on the first pitch, which puts him in the hole in the count a majority of the time.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I liked the observation made yesterday by the Cowboy, and how Masset relies TOO MUCH on one pitch (breaking ball), especially on the first pitch, which puts him in the hole in the count a majority of the time.
    The Cowboy hit the nail on the head. Why do throw your breaking ball so much when you are shattering bats with your 95mph fast ball? Just crazy.
    Didn't Massett do this last year early on? Nibbled with breaking stuff and got lit up. Finally started throwing his fast ball most of the time and was pretty good the rest of the season. Price and Baker better sit him down for a reminder.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 04-11-2011 at 08:06 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    The Cowboy hit the nail on the head. Why do throw your breaking ball so much when you are shattering bats with your 95mph fast ball? Just crazy.
    Didn't Massett do this last year early on? Nibbled with breaking stuff and got lit up. Finally started throwing his fast ball most of the time and was pretty good the rest of the season. Price and Baker better sit him down for a reminder.
    Or maybe the catching duo should give this some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Or maybe the catching duo should give this some thought.
    Agreed. Catcher(s) should share the blame too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Okay, did some research concerning Chapman in back to back days. I seemed to recall an article or two about this subject, but can't find them. Regardless, he's done it 7 times now. Minors & majors combined. The first time he did it, he allowed the most hits he's allowed in a minor league game (3). The third time he did it, he allowed the most walks as a reliever (2) in a minor league game. He also had a bit of trouble with the Reds on the 25th allowing a run and a walk. All in all he hasn't had very much trouble with it, but it's a very limited sample. But as I said in the game thread, if it continues to be a problem...it's something to be concerned about. Nobody is overreacting...simply pointing out that he was FAR from sharp today and with a young pitcher it's something to keep an eye on. Still, I could've swore I remember some articles about this. Fay or somebody. But whatever.

If Chapman cannot be effective 2 let alone 3 days in a row.....as most relievers have to be at least back to back effective....then you might as well make him the real long man in the bullpen.
    Someone who comes in when the starter is clearly not having his best stuff.

I remember in 1984...early in the season and this used to happen often before the 90's. Joe Price i think was bombed for 4-5 runs in the 1st and replaced by Frank Pastore who went 8 2/3 and won the game. Soto did the same thing for Bruce Bereyeni (?)

Now I know that is not going to happen but you get the idea. It would have nice having afresh Chapman in there to take over for Leake ...and to have Dusty forget about having to try and get him the win and just remove him for a fresher arm.

Turn Off Ads?