Turn Off Ads?

Thread: San Diego/L.A.

San Diego/L.A.

A friend and I will be spending a long weekend catching some Paders and Dodgers games. We will have three full days to blow doing other things as well though. 1 day in L.A. 2 in San Diego. Anyone know of any cool sites/things to do there? I'm hoping the RZ has some people from the area that can recommend some hidden gems. I'll be there in late July.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: San Diego/L.A.

How much are you looking to spend? Do you want to do more touristy things or more local things? Do you have a car?

Money isn't a real issue I would say unless some sort of attraction is outrageous. It's hard to say I guess but if its highly recommended I'm game. We will have a rental car. Touristy and local, doens't necessarily matter. Any suggestions for something that is "fun" I'm open to.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

In LA there is really a lot so just depends on what you're looking for. The Getty is an art museum with amazing views of the city and the ocean, admission is free you just have to pay for parking. You can of course walk around Hollywood Blvd or the Santa Monica Pier and the 3rd Street Promenade. These are both really touristy things but there is a lot to do and see. You might want to check the schedule for the Upright Citizens Brigade. It's an improv theatre in Hollywood and is usually pretty cheap and fun you just have to line up about 45 minutes before the snow. There are a million places to eat. Some of my favorites are Fathers Office, Baby Blues, Cut (if you want to spend some money), and Taste.

LA stinks. I tell everyone to plan on liking and staying in SD more. Ya got to go at least once though.
    No clue what you're into but to get a real feel of the life here, I recommend visiting Pacific Beach area. Spend some time just north and south of that area on the coast. I've lived all over here and that's where I've finally settled down. Just too much to do. Every week we have a bonfire at the bay. I ride my bike everywhere after work. Plenty of bars, beaches, and scenery around.
    Downtown is nice. You can actually walk around at night n feel safe. Just a little too pricey to get in the doors, let alone be surrounded by "that crowd".
    A lot to do n see. It's all about what you choose to do that day. Plenty of theme parks. Plenty of coastline. Plenty of restaraunts (get a carne asada burrito at the scummiest place u can find!!!).

Anywhooooo..... let me know if ya got any questions.

I love San Diego and while I disagree with the LA stinks part, it is a lot of fun down there and certainly more relaxed. PB is a lot of fun and I would say a younger crowd. I've always said it's a college town without a college. Downtown is where the stadium is and has a lot to do in the Gas Lamp District right around the stadium. There is a mexican restaurant on Coronado Island that I love, but I can never remember the name of it. If I come up with it I'll post it.

If you're into beer I've had fun going on a brewery tour at Stone. It is in Escondido which is about a 45 minute drive or so north east of downtown. If you go try and go early as tours are first come first serve and you will probably have to wait about an hour. They have a bar and restaurant there to kill time while you wait for your tour.

Don't wear an opposing team's uniform and walk in the LA parking lot.

LA fans are worse than Steelers fans. Anaheims my "2nd team".

BTW *LA isn't what everyone imagines. Orange county/Huntington beach would be a better trip for environment/atmosphere and beautiful scenery. IMO!!!

When I was in San Diego a few years ago, I really liked the Ocean Beach area.

LA isn't a very family friendly, sunny-day, stroll through the orange groves place as some have correctly mentioned. But if you're an adult and don't mind walking through trash/dirty streets to get to cool places you can enjoy it. My main problem with LA is the parking and that instead of one giant nice area, all the cool things in LA are spread out amongst the gross/dirty areas.

If you want to see a really fun comedy show check out the Groundlings Theater on Melrose Blvd. On Weds and Thurs nights they have great improv shows, and on the weekends they have their main attraction sketch shows. Groundlings is very friendly for out of towners and they have great production levels. Upright Citizens Brigade is great too but it is more hip and low key and they don't have a "main cast" so their schedule is filled with dozens and dozens of independent shows from a bunch of performers at different levels- if you pick the wrong show you might feel like you're watching a college improv show or a rehearsal. The best show to catch at UCB is AS********SCAT (the * = S) and their Facebook show on Wednesdays is really fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by frenetic wave View Post
    Upright Citizens Brigade is great too but it is more hip and low key and they don't have a "main cast" so their schedule is filled with dozens and dozens of independent shows from a bunch of performers at different levels- if you pick the wrong show you might feel like you're watching a college improv show or a rehearsal. The best show to catch at UCB is AS********SCAT (the * = S) and their Facebook show on Wednesdays is really fun too.
    Totally agree. I caught them a couple months ago and laughed so much it hurt.

A good thing to do for one day in LA, is the farmers market at 3rd and fairfax. It is a good mix of touristy + local. Near by is the La Brea tar pits, you can see for free. There is also the art museum and natural history museum. It is also central. The Grove, an upscale outdoor mall is there.

If it is a nice day and you like to walk, you can go from Santa Monica pier to Venice Beach boardwalk. There is a lot to see. You can also rent roller skates.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    There is a mexican restaurant on Coronado Island that I love, but I can never remember the name of it. If I come up with it I'll post it.

Probably, Costa Azul Coronado. Went there to lunch in my Air Force uniform with a Navy Warrant. The warrant thought he could sneak in to with his uniform, he ended going back to his car and changing because he got called out.

In San Diego, Old Town might be worth a visit.
    This is a pretty good Mexican place
    http://bazaardelmundo.com/guad2006.shtml

You can also park at Old Town and take the trolley into Downtown San Diego/Gas Lamp.

I was in San Diego a few months ago. Sadly before baseball season started, though I did get to tour the ball park, which is quite nice. As others have said, spent some time in the Gaslamp district. Lots of shops / restaurants / bars to visit and some interesting people to see.

Personally, if I only had two days there, other than baseball, I would just spend my time on the various beaches and just enjoy the weather, which is absolutely beautiful. Considering you're from Northern IL like me, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Turn Off Ads?