Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Embarrassing loss today

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Embarrassing loss today

Too early to panic, but a very tough ugly embarrassing loss today.

I blame Dusty for leaving Leake in too long. Dusty always gives the starters too much rope when they're in trouble because he tries to help them get 5 innings in for the win. He was clearly in trouble and you could feel the three run homer coming on. Seriously, I called it at our house watching it. So predictable.

Masset was getting squeezed by the ump. He was hitting the corners and not getting the calls. Unless he threw right down the middle, it wouldn't be called a strike. Then he forked up the right down the middle of the plate home run fastball. Ouch. Chapman was getting a squeezed a bit too.

But I thought Dusty had the right two hitters up in the 9th with Francisco and Bruce being lefties. I was surprised Arizona didn't bring in a lefty reliever to face them. Putz forked up perfect fastballs that both Francisco and Bruce usually handle, but didn't today.

Really ugly loss. I actually felt like the offense mailed it in when they went up 5-0. Then they had to try and kick back into gear. Gomes bailed them out until the 8th.

Embarrassing. Some teams never learn. Hopefully this one does.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Embarrassing loss today

It was a crap loss but Leake got in trouble so fast it would have been hard to have gotten someone ready in that short amount of time. That being said I have faith this team will recover from this. It's a hard one to swallow though, that's what she said.

I really start to groan whenever Francisco steps up onto the on deck circle.

As for the game as a whole, just a lot of bad omens. It just felt like we were destined to lose.

Also, on a random note, Justin Upton is a very good ballplayer, but he seems like he has a bit of a lazy streak in him.

It was kind of strange. I never really dream about my sports teams, but last night I had a dream that Leake got pounded by Arizona. Unfortunately that dream played out today. I think the Reds pitching is going to work itself out, but it's been frustratingly inconsistent so far.

It's Skyline time!

Eh it was a rough loss but over the course of the season these things happen. Remember the Atlanta game last year? The Reds will probably win a game like today's as well at some point throughout the season in the same fashion that the D'backs won today.

I'm just interested to see how we respond tonight. I think that's the bigger test.
    University of Kentucky Class of 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Redleg View Post
    Eh it was a rough loss but over the course of the season these things happen. Remember the Atlanta game last year? The Reds will probably win a game like today's as well at some point throughout the season in the same fashion that the D'backs won today.

I'm just interested to see how we respond tonight. I think that's the bigger test.
    I think the team as a whole will be just fine... my worry lies in the bullpen and what Volquez does when handed the gameball for tonight!

Agreed. A lot will depend on whether Volquez gets straightened out and how Cueto comes back.

Turn Off Ads?