Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tonight is a big night for EV

Tonight is a big night for EV

Volquez needs to start to prove that he's worthy of a top of the rotation spot. He needs to come out and immediately challege hitters. Quit trying to paint the edges of the zone at the begining of the game. Keep the ball down and rely on your stuff. You have a plus fastball and some decent offspeed. Make the batters earn their bases.

If he can't start to control his pitches then I think they should consider moving him down to the 3rd spot. Arroyo and Wood have shown not only strong pitching, but consistency which is what a contending team needs in order to compete for a pennant like this team is capable of.

I'll get off of my soap box now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tonight is a big night for EV

If his struggles continue, then it will be interesting to see how the rotation changes when we add Bailey and Cueto back in the mix

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBuckeye View Post
    If his struggles continue, then it will be interesting to see how the rotation changes when we add Bailey and Cueto back in the mix
    Yep. The scary thing is I dont have a great deal of confidence Bailey or Cueto can separate themselves from Volquez at this point. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm begining to lean with people in the corner of finding a top of the rotation arm at the trade deadline and leaving the offense well enough alone. I'd be fine with a solid 2 or 3 who will give quality starts most outings, as I'm not confident there will be a true #1 available or one at a reasonable price anyway.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 04-11-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Complete game 5 hitter. Reds win 2-1

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Yep. The scary thing is I dont have a great deal of confidence Bailey or Cueto can separate themselves from Volquez at this point. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm beging to lean with people in the corner of finding a top of the rotation arm at the trade deadline and leaving the offense well enough alone. I'd be fine with a solid 2 or 3 who will give quality starts most outings, as I'm not confident their will be a true #1 available or one at a reasonable price anyway.
    Im sure we'd be able to land a quality arm.... we have good young talent and could package something with Yonder Alonso in order to help our pitching staff

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    That would be a great start and provide some momentum in getting his pitching back in order.

I am still shocked that people think that either Cueto or Bailey will be able to come back and provide any kind of long term help. We are talking arm issues here and both are hard throwers. Bailey's issue clearly means he is heading for major arm issues and with how bad of a motion cueto has, i would be shocked if either see more then 5-6 games this season.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    You may want to consider this alteration of sig-line:

CRACK, THE FOUNDATION

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Volquez needs to start to prove that he's worthy of a top of the rotation spot. .......

If he can't start to control his pitches then I think they should consider moving him down to the 3rd spot. Arroyo and Wood have shown not only strong pitching, but consistency which is what a contending team needs in order to compete for a pennant like this team is capable of.
    Now that we're into a season and a rotation, how the heck would Dusty do this? Skip Volquez's turn to shuffle Arroyo and Wood up two games each on short rest, then drop Volzuez in behind them instead of ahead of them?

Truth is at this point there is no "number one" starter, there are just guys taking their turns in the rotation. Until the All-Star break, the only place to tinker is at the back end (sometimes the #5 guy starts, sometimes he gets skipped, depending on off days and rain outs).

You're Welcome

Obviously, I crave a strong outing for Volquez tonight. But if I don't get it, I'm not prepared to panic. Tonight alone shouldn't carry anymore weight with Volquez's status than any other night.

And I may be in the minority, but whatever happens tonight, even after you combine it with what has happened previously this season, doesn't carry enough weight to seriously indicate that Volquez's spot in the rotation is in any danger.

Looking at the numbers, it sure looks like there's something wrong with Volquez so far this year. But looking deeper at the numbers, it seems like there's something specific that's wrong. Something that should be addressable/fixable:

Volquez in the 1st inning: 2 innings pitched, 7 runs (31.50 ERA), 7 hits, 4 walks (5.50 WHIP), and 5 strikeouts (1.25:1 K-to-BB ratio).

Volquez after the 1st inning: 9 IP, 2 R (2.00 ERA), 5 H, 3 BB (0.89 WHIP), 8 K (2.7:1 K-to-BB).

His ability to suck for brief spurts indicates there may be concentration issues. His numbers after he stops sucking indicates that he's still got the arm of a potential ace. You don't give up on that combination after 3 games.

Between last year's story arc of slow-starting followed by ace-like numbers in September and this spring's story of Volquez falling behind due to visa issues, time should more than be on EV's side. The arm is there, and the mental part of the game should follow...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    Obviously, I crave a strong outing for Volquez tonight. But if I don't get it, I'm not prepared to panic. Tonight alone shouldn't carry anymore weight with Volquez's status than any other night.

And I may be in the minority, but whatever happens tonight, even after you combine it with what has happened previously this season, doesn't carry enough weight to seriously indicate that Volquez's spot in the rotation is in any danger.

Looking at the numbers, it sure looks like there's something wrong with Volquez so far this year. But looking deeper at the numbers, it seems like there's something specific that's wrong. Something that should be addressable/fixable:

Volquez in the 1st inning: 2 innings pitched, 7 runs (31.50 ERA), 7 hits, 4 walks (5.50 WHIP), and 5 strikeouts (1.25:1 K-to-BB ratio).

Volquez after the 1st inning: 9 IP, 2 R (2.00 ERA), 5 H, 3 BB (0.89 WHIP), 8 K (2.7:1 K-to-BB).

His ability to suck for brief spurts indicates there may be concentration issues. His numbers after he stops sucking indicates that he's still got the arm of a potential ace. You don't give up on that combination after 3 games.

Between last year's story arc of slow-starting followed by ace-like numbers in September and this spring's story of Volquez falling behind due to visa issues, time should more than be on EV's side. The arm is there, and the mental part of the game should follow...

Rick
    I never said that I though Volquez should get dropped out of the lineup, just down in the order of pitching. If he continues pitching the way he has, then he should be dropped down. I don't think he gives this team a chance against other 1's and 2's despite the Reds offense.

I've always believed he's had the "stuff" to be a #1, but at what point do you call a spade a spade? He's always suffered from mental lapses where he blows up.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 04-11-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I am still shocked that people think that either Cueto or Bailey will be able to come back and provide any kind of long term help. We are talking arm issues here and both are hard throwers. Bailey's issue clearly means he is heading for major arm issues and with how bad of a motion cueto has, i would be shocked if either see more then 5-6 games this season.
    I'm still shocked that you're still questioning Cueto. He has shown solid improvement each year in the bigs. He was our second most consistent starter behind Arroyo last season, and he had an ERA well under 4 last year. And finally that has to be the biggest over reaction to an injury I've ever seen, he has started over 30 games the last 3 years!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Pretty obvious hyperbole here.

I think the facts of the situation all point to 20+ starts from Cueto barring a new injury. I can at least see where you're coming from on Bailey due to his injury track record, but 5-6 is still an extremely pessimistic view the way things stand today.

Cueto starting on the DL is simply a case of the Reds babying their young investment with their eyes on the long haul IMO.

Nobody knows right now how bad Cueto's issues are. He could come back and have a great season or he could he headed to TJ surgery. He has been durable over the years so I think he has a better chance than Bailey. Either way, if LeCure can hold down the #5 spot then they might not be in a rush to bring either one back.

This might be a big night, I don't know. But at the same time, I'm not worried about the guy yet. I just want to see improvement. If you take away both first innings of his starts, he's actually done well (as has probably been pointed out multiple times.) I think him getting into camp late has a lot to do with his struggles thus far so I'm willing to give him his due.

Turn Off Ads?