Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somebody Needs to be Fired

Somebody Needs to be Fired

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs..._the_firs.html

WHEN THE REDS sent Jordan Smith back to the minors early this spring, a major-league scout who watched him all spring was aghast and said, “What are they thinking? This kid has great stuff, maybe the best stuff on their team. We’d sure like to have him?”
    Jordan Smith, better stuff than Aroldis Chapman ladies and gentlemen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Somebody Needs to be Fired

The scout did say "maybe". lol
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

When I read the title, I thought, "Oh, boy. Here comes another stupid overreaction by some emotional Reds fan." But you're so right. Why would anyone say that? To be fair, Jordan Smith has looked better than ever in my eyes, but that's just a moronic statement.

Perhaps a more positive view of that statement from the scout might be taken? I am thrilled to hear that Smith is thought highly of. I happen to also really like his stuff, and am kinda glad to see his stuff has some backers in the scouting community. A heavy sinker in the low 90s in GABP out of the pen? Yes please. He's been good for this team since he came up, and has been succeeding at the highest level despite not being that far removed from starting. I am a fan of Smith's.

You sure that scout wasn't Jordan Smith's father?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Scouts are so over-reactionary. They just say whatever anonymously and never have to have accountability attached with whatever guy they saw hit 97 or what guy they saw rip a couple line drives the other way. I've spent a lot of time talking to them and they're wrong all of the time.

Just like all the scouts saying how loaded the Royals are. What do you want to bet the Royals are 'loaded' to the tune of 86 or so losses again the next few years. Tools and measurables don't equal wins.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I would seriously have no qualms about leap frogging Massett and his inconsistency for the consistency of Jordan Smith to get three outs in the 9th next year. The development of the split finger has really made him a rising bullpen arm to watch.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Scouts are so over-reactionary. They just say whatever anonymously and never have to have accountability attached with whatever guy they saw hit 97 or what guy they saw rip a couple line drives the other way. I've spent a lot of time talking to them and they're wrong all of the time.

Just like all the scouts saying how loaded the Royals are. What do you want to bet the Royals are 'loaded' to the tune of 86 or so losses again the next few years. Tools and measurables don't equal wins.
    Quite honestly, the Royals and Pirates should both be loaded if they were even close to having a clue. But in the name of the good old days, it is a shame that two model franchises have become laughingstocks.

This reminds me of reports of the pitcher the Reds acquired for Sean Casey, Dave Williams and that he was the toughest LHP in the league. If memory serves it was LaRussa who said that...

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I would seriously have no qualms about leap frogging Massett and his inconsistency for the consistency of Jordan Smith to get three outs in the 9th next year. The development of the split finger has really made him a rising bullpen arm to watch.
    Why wait until next year?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    Why wait until next year?
    I like Cordero in a contract year, esp. when he may be pitching for his last chance at anything more than a one year contract. However, if a rash of close games develops and he is available when Coco is not...

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Jordan pitched last night, late in the game in a very high leveraged situation.

And he did well.

Looks to me like someone in the Red's front office figured out that Jordan was pretty good.

Maybe they can keep their job?
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Massett's usual slow start has some folks down on him already. Much rather have Massett as his inconsistency usually only lasts the first part of the season. However it is nice to talk about shuffling chairs with a pen this deep.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Jordan pitched last night, late in the game in a very high leveraged situation.

And he did well.

Looks to me like someone in the Red's front office figured out that Jordan was pretty good.

Maybe they can keep their job?
    He was best available. Chapman was unavailable, I think they didn't want to bring in Masset if they could help it, and Ondrusek was probably not available. With that said, in a long season, a bullpen with interchangeable parts like this one is developing is a nice luxury Dusty has and he should be able to keep guys fresh.

Masset's one of the only strikeout guys on the staff, we need him in late game situations.

As for Smith, I remember thinking his stuff compared at least somewhat to Marmol's last year during a Cubs series. Not as wild or anything, but similar bite.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?