Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Billy Hamilton

I've never divided my full attention to the minors but I've noticed Hamilton has 4 errors already, is he really this bad defensively or just going to through a funk right now??

Thanks in advance

Re: Billy Hamilton

I don't know a whole lot, but I bet it's a combo of early season jitters, adjustment back to SS, and a little bit a funk. Didi had a ton of errors last season and from everything I've heard he will stick there. I think Billy will be fine, and has all the tools to stick and be successful
    Go Reds!

The field may also be in rough shape. Some minor league fields are notorious for the shape they're in. Hamilton, IMO, will end up an above average fielder, as his range, footwork, speed, and quickness are all top-notch, and his arm, apparently, is solidly average for the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    The field may also be in rough shape. Some minor league fields are notorious for the shape they're in. Hamilton, IMO, will end up an above average fielder, as his range, footwork, speed, and quickness are all top-notch, and his arm, apparently, is solidly average for the position.
    Playing devils advocate here...

The Dragons have a darn nice infield
    I've heard nothing that makes him an above average fielder
    Great quickness/speed hardly makes you have great range in the IF
    I've only read that his arm is below average for SS, and will have to move to 2B.

I hope he's a SS forever, if not, would love to see him in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Playing devils advocate here...

The Dragons have a darn nice infield
    I've heard nothing that makes him an above average fielder
    Great quickness/speed hardly makes you have great range in the IF
    I've only read that his arm is below average for SS, and will have to move to 2B.

I hope he's a SS forever, if not, would love to see him in CF.
    1) It's a darn nice infield for a minor league stadium. It's nothing like a major league infield.
    2) Superior range has been discussed on this board and by scouts and Red personnel ad nauseum vis a vis Hamilton. It's one of his best tools. The apochryphal story from Billy Doran about Hamilton catching the ball steps away from the warning track in left field is an example.
    3) See two. Add scouting services that rate his reaction time as superior. Add in solid reviews of his glove.
    4) If you've been told his arm is below average, you've been told incorrectly. It's plenty good enough to play SS at the major league level. While it's not a plus tool, it's average at worst. Anyone who mentions the "weak arm" is simply spouting forth something they know nothing about. I guarantee they've never seen the kid play.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    1) It's a darn nice infield for a minor league stadium. It's nothing like a major league infield.
    2) Superior range has been discussed on this board and by scouts and Red personnel ad nauseum vis a vis Hamilton. It's one of his best tools. The apochryphal story from Billy Doran about Hamilton catching the ball steps away from the warning track in left field is an example.
    3) See two. Add scouting services that rate his reaction time as superior. Add in solid reviews of his glove.
    4) If you've been told his arm is below average, you've been told incorrectly. It's plenty good enough to play SS at the major league level. While it's not a plus tool, it's average at worst. Anyone who mentions the "weak arm" is simply spouting forth something they know nothing about. I guarantee they've never seen the kid play.

Sounds good to me! I'm in.

As far as his arm goes...I think Baseball America is the only publication I see that says his arm may not play at SS if I recall correctly.

Just out of curiosity, and I'm not doubting, but how many times have you seen him play (this year or in the past)?

I know you are not asking me but I've seen him play about 15 games since he signed and YES he has the arm for SS.

Not sure how to explain it but from what I have seen so far, it looks like he is playing a little too "fast", if that makes sense

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Not sure how to explain it but from what I have seen so far, it looks like he is playing a little too "fast", if that makes sense
    That is exactly what I was thinking too. Which is probably a bit of the jitters. He seems to be reacting so quickly on things. I know one error was a poor throw (short hopped it to the first baseman - I have video of it), but I don't have any doubt that he is going to stick at shortstop if the spot is open for him when/if he is ready for the majors. He has the range, easily, and his arm will play there just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking too. Which is probably a bit of the jitters. He seems to be reacting so quickly on things. I know one error was a poor throw (short hopped it to the first baseman - I have video of it), but I don't have any doubt that he is going to stick at shortstop if the spot is open for him when/if he is ready for the majors. He has the range, easily, and his arm will play there just fine.
    When you say he has the range, are you saying he'll be around league average? Or are you thinking above average to whatever extent?

He has a long way to go defensively but has the tools to be a special player IF it all comes together. He needs to improve significantly on understanding how to get a convenient hop rather than just charging every ball hard and running himself into a tough play. He will make a play in every game that Cozart or Rojas would not make due to speed and athleticism, but there will be three that he won't make that those guys would due to poorer hands and overall fielding skills. This is still a raw player. His baseball skills are not that advanced. He has athletic skills that are extremely rare. He needs time to become a baseball player.

In five games, I have seen him make two or three plays that almost no one makes, but he has four errors and there have been a couple others that could have been errors. We have been spoiled in Dayton with Cozart and Rojas, who were the best in the league, and then Gregorius, who was not as consistent but certainly serviceable. Hamilton has a ways to go to catch up to Gregorius.
    Last edited by redsof72; 04-12-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Redsof72, don't forget Janish. He was one of the best in the Midwest League his time there (of course, he's top notch in the bigs too, so I guess that would make sense).

Does Hamilton have a nickname yet? The Blur, Flash...?

He has a long way to go defensively but has the tools to be a special player IF it all comes together. He needs to improve significantly on understanding how to get a convenient hop rather than just charging every ball hard and running himself into a tough play. He will make a play in every game that Cozart or Rojas would not make due to speed and athleticism, but there will be three that he won't make that those guys would due to poorer hands and overall fielding skills. This is still a raw player. His baseball skills are not that advanced. He has athletic skills that are extremely rare. He needs time to become a baseball player.
    Interesting, 72. Fortunately, the Reds can afford to be patient with Hamilton, and short of his having bad hands or an inaccurate arm, he should be able to stabilize his play and become a reliable defender in time.

While he'll never get confused for Ozzie Smith out in the field, Derrick Jeter once committed just short of a bazillion errors at SS in the low minors, give Billy some time and let him work into the position.

For whatever reason, the Reds didn't have him play a ton of SS last year in Billings. He may need half a season to get his feet wet again and start making the routine plays, well routinely. The most important thing at this level, is the he maintains and flashes the tools that show he has potential to play SS in the major. Only time and work will make him completely comfortable at the position on all the routine plays, letting the game slow down a bit for him and reducing the number of errors.

*Disclaimer on all my comments: I'm a big fan of his, don't get this confused with me not thinking he's a good fielder with an arm that will play. I honestly don't know much about his fielding, and have only seen what BA says about his arm.

Turn Off Ads?