Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is why I'm happy to see old-media sportswriters go...

Re: This is why I'm happy to see old-media sportswriters go...

Quote Originally Posted by jredmo2 View Post
    I agree. If you go on youtube you can find an endless array of stadium fights. I don't have kids but it's a shame that a guy can't take his kids to a game without worrying about the drunks fighting each other.
    Agreed. It does seem to happen more in football than in baseball. With an atmosphere like that plus hi def TV with scores of other games going across the screen all the time, it's a wonder anyone goes to an NFL game in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Most sportswriters are worthless... this one is particularly worthless.

Response was so overwhelming that they had to shut down the comments sections. Crazy that when it first came out the writer of the article actually spelled Stow's name wrong. From what I understand this writer is known to have some controversial takes and was fired from his last job which was a TV gig. Hopefully his stay at this paper is short lived too.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

If you have a problem with this article, you can email their sports editor at dugan@observer-reporter.com. I suggest you do so, and tell them why.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I would caution against representing this as a case against "old-media sportswriters."

First, this guy isn't exactly a real sportswriter as we tend to think of them; he's mostly been a TV guy and writes one opinion column a week for a non-major-market newspaper, and like every other opinion columnist, his job is to say what he thinks... whatever that is. His job at that paper is basically "blogger with access to newsprint."

Second, the implication is that new-media people don't write things that dumb. Oh, if only.

Getting a job at a newspaper doesn't make one wise, and not having that job doesn't make one unwise. (A line from one of Charles Kuralt's books, quoting the famous Edward R. Murrow: "Even though your voice may reach 16 million people every time you speak, that doesn’t make you any smarter than you were when your voice only reached the end of this bar.") But the converse is also true -- lots of newspaper writers know what they're doing and lots of new-media writers don't.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I would caution against representing this as a case against "old-media sportswriters."

First, this guy isn't exactly a real sportswriter as we tend to think of them; he's mostly been a TV guy and writes one opinion column a week for a non-major-market newspaper, and like every other opinion columnist, his job is to say what he thinks... whatever that is. His job at that paper is basically "blogger with access to newsprint."

Second, the implication is that new-media people don't write things that dumb. Oh, if only.

Getting a job at a newspaper doesn't make one wise, and not having that job doesn't make one unwise. (A line from one of Charles Kuralt's books, quoting the famous Edward R. Murrow: "Even though your voice may reach 16 million people every time you speak, that doesn’t make you any smarter than you were when your voice only reached the end of this bar.") But the converse is also true -- lots of newspaper writers know what they're doing and lots of new-media writers don't.
    Great point. He's not a "sports" writer.

I've worn my Bengals stuff to games in Cleveland and Pittsburgh. No problems

I've worn my Reds stuff to games in San Diego, Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New York, and Philadelphia. No problems.

Most fans are cool people. Most either A). dont care that you are supporting the visiting team, or B). may give you a good natured ribbing, but that's it.

It's one percent, or less that are the total morons. That's why I hate generalizing an entire fanbase, but like many things in life, sometimes a few people can ruin it for all.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    I've worn my Bengals stuff to games in Cleveland and Pittsburgh. No problems

I've worn my Reds stuff to games in San Diego, Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New York, and Philadelphia. No problems.

Most fans are cool people. Most either A). dont care that you are supporting the visiting team, or B). may give you a good natured ribbing, but that's it.

It's one percent, or less that are the total morons. That's why I hate generalizing an entire fanbase, but like many things in life, sometimes a few people can ruin it for all.
    You haven't been to soccer games in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You haven't been to soccer games in Europe.
    hah, nope, but I know the stories.

It only takes one idiot to put you or someone you care about in a coma. Think about that the next time you "just wanted to show my home team pride."

Turn Off Ads?