Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ryan Hanigan

Re: Ryan Hanigan

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't really see how he doesn't get in.
    Me either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Why would you take anything Brantley ever said seriously?
    Good point but he was talking about pitching. He does posess some knowledge about that and is about the only time he doesn't sound like a complete tool.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Benito Santiago also played on some of the same teams as Brantley. Is he a possible HOF?

That's my guess. Santiago was the Reds catcher in 2005 when Brantley was the closer. And Santiago was definitely talked about as being a HOF early in his career. Plus, Brantley is prone to hyperbole.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Not sure how many of you watched entire game last night, but Ryan Hanigan put on a clinic behind the plate last night. He was simply awesome. He took a couple balls off of his right shoulder (no padding), but continued to block each and every pitch thrown in the dirt. He kept the ball in front of him and under control every single time. He made several very, very tough scoops with runners on. He threw the ball well and got rid of it quickly, and with great footwork. And I'm pretty sure when Masset gave up the lead he scolded him on the mound, telling him he cost one of his teammates a win after a great start. I swear that's what I read from his lips. It wasn't a "pep-talk" or a "don't worry about it" talk. I recorded the game and am going to show it to my 12 year old as an example of how that position should be played. I can't remember the last time I saw a game caught as well as last night's game was. Wanted to hear others' opinion, or if they even noticed.
    Here's a great article with Ryan Hanigan talking about how he prepares for a game, how he works with the Pitching Coach, the Starters and Relievers.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds

Looking for a #2 hitter? Ryan Hanigan's career numbers: 274ba, 372 obp, 369 slg, 741 OPS

This season: 360 OBP, 730 OPS

Sure he's not going to play everyday, but what kind of person would hit Janish 2nd over a guy with those types of numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    but what kind of person would hit Janish 2nd over a guy with those types of numbers?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    Looking for a #2 hitter? Ryan Hanigan's career numbers: 274ba, 372 obp, 369 slg, 741 OPS

This season: 360 OBP, 730 OPS

Sure he's not going to play everyday, but what kind of person would hit Janish 2nd over a guy with those types of numbers?
    I tend to agree with Dusty (I know it doesn't happen often).

Does he draw walks because he usually bats in front of the pitcher or Janish though? That would be my one big concern with Hanigan batting 2nd. Hitting ahead of Votto pitchers are going to attack him and make Hanigan earn his way on in front of Votto. I just seem to believe that Hanigan is what he is a good receiver and enough bat/eye to not be a liability when he plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    That's my guess. Santiago was the Reds catcher in 2005 when Brantley was the closer. And Santiago was definitely talked about as being a HOF early in his career. Plus, Brantley is prone to hyperbole.
    Brantley has given this rant before (I didn't hear it the other night) and I've always assumed he was talking about Santiago. Barring a scandal, Pudge is definitely in the hall of fame.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I tend to agree with Dusty (I know it doesn't happen often).

Does he draw walks because he usually bats in front of the pitcher or Janish though? That would be my one big concern with Hanigan batting 2nd. Hitting ahead of Votto pitchers are going to attack him and make Hanigan earn his way on in front of Votto. I just seem to believe that Hanigan is what he is a good receiver and enough bat/eye to not be a liability when he plays.
    He had more walks than Ks over entire minor leagues.I don't know,but I doubt he's always hit in front of pitcher.Anyway, his low Ks have nothing to do with where he bats.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    He had more walks than Ks over entire minor leagues.I don't know,but I doubt he's always hit in front of pitcher.Anyway, his low Ks have nothing to do with where he bats.
    Minors and Majors are two different animals I would just be afraid of batting him second because pitchers would attack the zone with him and I just don't think he'd maintain the OBP he has thus far.

Of his 223 at bats 193 have come batting 7th or 8th. He's batting 9th 16 times (8 games so I'd guess ph). He batted 6th 13 times (5 games).
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Maybe I should say it this way. Why bat him 8th?

I'm thinking it was indeed Santiago. 20 year career, 5 AS games, 3 GG's 4 silver slugger awards. 10th all time in games as a catcher.

He's the definition of almost hall of famer.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Sadly, Santiago was on the steroids list. That was a disappointment to me.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    JUNE 27, 10:15 PM ET @ AT&T Park
    Crushing their heads!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Hanigan is tied for 6th in MLB (with Placido Polanco) in contact rate. I'm sure batting in front of the pitcher and Janish gives him more pitches to hit, but it doesn't affect his ability to judge a pitches' location nor to make contact when he does swing.

Perhaps pitchers would challenge him more batting 2nd, but doesn't it make sense to give it a shot rather than bat a sub .300 OBP guy up there instead?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Hanigan is tied for 6th in MLB (with Placido Polanco) in contact rate. I'm sure batting in front of the pitcher and Janish gives him more pitches to hit, but it doesn't affect his ability to judge a pitches' location nor to make contact when he does swing.

Perhaps pitchers would challenge him more batting 2nd, but doesn't it make sense to give it a shot rather than bat a sub .300 OBP guy up there instead?
    This seems completely backwards to me. In front of the pitcher (or Janish) is where they would seem most likely to pitch around him and throw junk. In front of Votto seems like the place they would avoid walking him at all cost and come right at him.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?