Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Chapman to the rotation possible in 2011?

Is Chapman to the rotation possible in 2011?

Chapman's performance last night renewed my hope that he will eventually move into the rotation. It was only three batters, but he flashed being a pitcher that can be effective without relying on a 100+ fastball.

I checked out MLB.com's pitch-by-pitch tracking of Chapman's outing and I was surprised to see that, according to MLB.com, 5 of his 11 pitches were listed as changeups, all sitting at 92-94 mph. Is MLB correct? Price said he was not going to throw his changeup often if at all during games.

So setting aside the question of whether there is any chance that the Reds will move him into the rotation in 2011 for a moment, my question is what would be the best way to make the transition in season? Move him into a longman role for a month or 2? Send him to AAA for a few starts? What is the track record for teams moving a reliever to the rotation mid-season?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Chapman to the rotation possible in 2011?

My only question is, who do you take out?

Leake has had 2 good starts (IMO Dusty left him in too long when he gave up the 3-Run HR).

LeCure and Arroyo have been studs.

Wood had one REALLY good game, and one REALLY bad game, too early to send him out.

And Edinson has terrible 1st innings, and then shows why he can/will be our ACE.

I like Chapman in the pen right now. He's doing a helluva job, and why not keep it going. BTW, we still have Homer and Cueto coming back from injuries. There's just no room for Chapman in the rotation this year, as of right now.
    Let's make some noise!

While I would love to see him as a starter, I don't see them making Chapman a starter any time soon if ever. They have a lot of starting options already and with Cordero gone at the end of this season I think the writing is kind of on the wall he is going to be the closer.

My take on last night is they are trying to get him dial back a bit to harness his control. His walk rate has been terrible so far this year and I think they are trying to get him to understand 98 on the black is better than 102 out of the strike zone.

The other thing is I think his stuff straightens out as it hits higher speeds. Watching him in the playoffs last year against the Phillies and his appearance in Houston this year I am really surprised that right handers get pretty good cuts against him even when he hits triple digits.

We may have a lot of pitchers, but we certainly don't have a lot of top of the rotation pitchers. The Reds are 21st in the majors in team ERA. The Reds' top priority should be to find a staff ace. If one or two don't emerge from the 7 candidates currently on the roster within the next month or two, then they would be foolish to not look at Chapman as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    We may have a lot of pitchers, but we certainly don't have a lot of top of the rotation pitchers. The Reds are 21st in the majors in team ERA. The Reds' top priority should be to find a staff ace. If one or two don't emerge from the 7 candidates currently on the roster within the next month or two, then they would be foolish to not look at Chapman as a starter.
    Who takes his spot in the pen then?

I guess Willis could, but I doubt he'd be as dominate in there as Chapman would be.

I still think we should leave the starters alone, for now, at least. They are doing a fine job right now.
    Let's make some noise!

I'd rather see him stay in the bullpen. From what I have read about his history in Cuba, it sounded like he lost concentration at times in the middle of games. He'd be breezing and all of a sudden give up 3 or 4 runs, but then regain his composure and be dominant again. If that's true, that characteristic would seem to lend itself to suggesting short stints would be the better option. My memory may not be totally accurate in what I remember reading awhile ago, but that was the impression I was left with at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    Pony, I completely agree with you. His ceiling as a starter is higher than anybody else on the staff and if he were to reach that and become a Randy Johnson type guy it would be huge for this team.

I just think the Reds take is they have a good offense with solid starting pitching and if they can get through 6 with the lead, their bullpen will slam the door. And I think that strategy will work really well....in the regular season. I think they need dominant starting pitching to win World Series, especially if they need to go through staffs like they have in Philly and SF.

I think he'll be a full-time bullpen arm in 2011. He has to get used to MLB hitting and a full season before he can think of making that transition. And as sparingly as he gets used being in the bullpen, he still has a hard time throwing 100%. He simply needs to build up that durability before he tries to make that transition in 2012.

However, if the Reds are either out of contention or have clinched before the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised for him to get a start or two there at the end.

My bad. Double post.
    Last edited by The DARK; 04-13-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Chapman/ Bailey for Felix. Doitdoitdoitdoit
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Chapman/ Bailey for Felix. Doitdoitdoitdoit
    No way. Chapman could very well turn into the modern day Randy Johnson. Bailey should continue to blossom into a reliable #3 starter.
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

As good as Chapman is as a reliever, I would much rather have him for ~200 innings a year instead of just ~70 innings a year.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ruREaDy2 View Post
    No way. Chapman could very well turn into the modern day Randy Johnson. Bailey should continue to blossom into a reliable #3 starter.
    Wow, I expected to be ridiculed for thinking Seattle makes that trade. Nobody knows what Chapman or Bailey will be; everyone knows Hernandez is possibly the best pitcher in baseball.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Wow, I expected to be ridiculed for thinking Seattle makes that trade. Nobody knows what Chapman or Bailey will be; everyone knows Hernandez is possibly the best pitcher in baseball.
    They may be some money and player control issues you may be overlooking.

How much time would Chapman have to spend in the minors streching out his arm to start again? I think he's too valuable to the Reds to have in in Lousiville for an extended period of time. He's a releiver this year.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?