Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The last guy I want on the bump late in a close game

The last guy I want on the bump late in a close game

NICK MASSET! Another awful outing. Really discouraging as Masset has good enough stuff to get the job done but he's a choke artist right now

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The last guy I want on the bump late in a close game

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg39 View Post
    NICK MASSET! Another awful outing. Really discouraging as Masset has good enough stuff to get the job done but he's a choke artist right now
    He was last year as well early in the season. He was awful for all of April and on into May. By the end of the year he was pretty darn good. He may just be one of those notorious slow starters.

Nick Masset is a good baseball player, he just starts poorly and he won't get better unless he keeps going out there. See last year and his 2.3 ERA after April. Stop complaining, this isn't the end. Chances are this will all workout.

He's a slow starter, dusty should have pulled him when he got into trouble.
    im not too worried about masset because he'll get it together.

im just highly upset that dusty kept him in the game.....
    YouTube - Louie G - The Deal - FULL (Jay Bruce/Reds Anthem)
    ^^ Jay Bruce Theme Song

2009 Reds Attendance Record 2-1
    2010 Reds Attendance Record 2-2 ***Attended NLDS Game 3***
    2011 Reds Attendance Record 1-0

It's Skyline time!

I'm kind of upset that he keeps getting put out there in close games right now. I feel like he needs to get his ish together in more of a mop-up role first, and then ease back into the big time situations.
    University of Kentucky Class of 2014

i'm not as mad now that i think about it. Before this series i thought we would be swept due to our awful play in Arizona. But i agree Masset, Bruce, and Francisco all need sent down, none of them at this moment contribute anything to this team.

Another problem is that Masset has never been the sharpest pencil in the box:

1. He comes in and totally ignores Hudson, lets him get a lead halfway to secong, which causes Hudson to eventually score the tying run.

2. This is the Padres, one of the worst offenses in baseball. None of them are very aggressive. This ballpark is like an aircraft carrier. Common sense- throw the fastball over the plate. Stop nibbling around with your offspeed stuff.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 04-13-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    i'm not as mad now that i think about it. Before this series i thought we would be swept due to our awful play in Arizona. But i agree Masset, Bruce, and Francisco all need sent down, none of them at this moment contribute anything to this team.
    no offense but that would be a stupid move..we havent even played a month of baseball and i question your baseball intelligence from this post...

no disrespect intended.
    ^^ Jay Bruce Theme Song

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dusty strikes again!

Why can everyone else or atleast me see bad moves as he makes them, or feel something bad about to happen but Dusty doesn't????

I wanted Mike Leake pulled the other day before the HR was hit but Dusty stuck with him to help him get through the 5th inning for the win even though I predicted a HR and IT HAPPENED.

Why send the reliever that is struggling the most out in the most crucial point of the game???? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ondrusek is pitching really well. So is Bray and a few others. But Dusty has to stick with the "oh but Nick Masset is my 8th inning setup guy, so I have to send him out there" even though he is stinking up the joint everytime he goes out there. Don't get me wrong, I like Masset and think he will come around like last year..........but if he doesn't have it now WHY SEND HIM OUT THERE??????? Go figure. We have a manager who either won't change things up and go with the hot hand or doesn't realize this (which may be worse).

I continue to believe this team wins despite Dusty. I think they should have 2 more wins if not for a braindead manager. I question so many moves this guy makes and they usually blow up in his face and I'm usually right.

Frustrating.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Francisco surprised me in the field. He did a really good job defensively tonight including the intelligence part of knowing what play to make. He made all the right moves. I wish his hitting would come around.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Dusty strikes again!

Why can everyone else or atleast me see bad moves as he makes them, or feel something bad about to happen but Dusty doesn't????

I wanted Mike Leake pulled the other day before the HR was hit but Dusty stuck with him to help him get through the 5th inning for the win even though I predicted a HR and IT HAPPENED.

Why send the reliever that is struggling the most out in the most crucial point of the game???? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ondrusek is pitching really well. So is Bray and a few others. But Dusty has to stick with the "oh but Nick Masset is my 8th inning setup guy, so I have to send him out there" even though he is stinking up the joint everytime he goes out there. Don't get me wrong, I like Masset and think he will come around like last year..........but if he doesn't have it now WHY SEND HIM OUT THERE??????? Go figure. We have a manager who either won't change things up and go with the hot hand or doesn't realize this (which may be worse).

I continue to believe this team wins despite Dusty. I think they should have 2 more wins if not for a braindead manager. I question so many moves this guy makes and they usually blow up in his face and I'm usually right.

Frustrating.
    my thoughts exactly. thank you
    ^^ Jay Bruce Theme Song

Now let's not go overboard. Sending down someone who was a 5.3 WAR player last year (Bruce) just because he's off to a slow start at the plate would be a gross overreaction. Masset also posted an 11.75 ERA in April last year. Monthly ERA after April? 3.75, 3.18, 0.64, 0.53, 4.35. This year will likely end up the same way.

Twelve games have been played, and now is not the time to panic and make such rash decisions. I am just as disappointed with Bruce and Masset as you are, but we have to remember that the season is young and the sample size is small. Both players will come around, just give it time.

Didn't Votto strike out his last ime up? I think we should send him to Louisville until he gets it together. And last year there was a game where Baker kept Arroyo in too long and he gave up a run. That should convince everyone one we win despite Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Dusty strikes again!

From where I'm sitting you only see the bad moves after they've happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    From where I'm sitting you only see the bad moves after they've happened.
    Why? Because I'm not sitting at my computer typing my predictions before they happen?

I have a life. I work 2 jobs and I'm raising a 16 year old daughter on my own.

Believe me........I predict all the things I say, even if I'm not doing it on here.

Turn Off Ads?