Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman's Velocity

Chapman's Velocity

In the spirit of over-reactionary threads on RedsZone, here's a convenient place to discuss the fact that Chapman topped out at 94MPH tonight. Any theories. Is he tired? torn labrum? I wasn't concerned until he dropped that last pitch in at 89 tonight...that's frighteningly outside the norm.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Chapman's Velocity

He was throwing like that in Arizona too. On Sunday, he was topping out at only 96.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I haven't been concerned until tonight. Mid 90's can be explained by fatigue or just an off day. Low 90's is just such an enormous drop off.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Bad radar gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    He was throwing like that in Arizona too. On Sunday, he was topping out at only 96.
    I watched him throw ten pitches over 100 Saturday night...including 102, 103, 103, 102 to k Montero. He was firing on all cylinders
    Last edited by VR; 04-13-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Bad radar gun?
    That was the theory for the first few games, but I just can't see that being the case. The gun seemed accurate for everyone else. I can see where maybe they'd try and mess with Chapman on the stadium gun, but pitch f/x should still be accurate I think.

There is something in the Enquirer right now about Hernandez talking to Chapman about NOT trying to pitch hurt.

IMO....Chapman is just not cut out to be a set up reliever. Maybe a good long man but then he should just be starting. He just seems to either be hurting ...about to be hurt even worse.....or just cannot handle more than pitching every other day...if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    There is something in the Enquirer right now about Hernandez talking to Chapman about NOT trying to pitch hurt.

IMO....Chapman is just not cut out to be a set up reliever. Maybe a good long man but then he should just be starting. He just seems to either be hurting ...about to be hurt even worse.....or just cannot handle more than pitching every other day...if that.
    That was my guess when they showed Hernandez giving him the business. It's real easy to picture Chapman keeping his mouth shut due to a combination of the culture and language barriers along with just being a rookie.

I still don't understand why Dusty used Chapman tonight in the first place. Yeah, he got good results last night, but he was already losing some velocity. To bring him back for a 4th appearance in 5 games while taking out Jordan Smith after 1 out just didn't make sense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That was my guess when they showed Hernandez giving him the business. It's real easy to picture Chapman keeping his mouth shut due to a combination of the culture and language barriers along with just being a rookie.

I still don't understand why Dusty used Chapman tonight in the first place. Yeah, he got good results last night, but he was already losing some velocity. To bring him back for a 4th appearance in 5 games while taking out Jordan Smith after 1 out just didn't make sense.
    From what I read.....Dusty was not doing too hot in mixing and matching his relievers at all. Everyone said he was an epic fail and blamed him for a lot of what was going on during Tuesday's game.....I can only imagine what the thread looks like for today's game.
    I am glad Hernandez has said something to him.....but Price and Dusty should also pay a little attention here?

It's always easy to start blaming Ol' Dusty when a potential arm issue of any sort flares up. If a guy can't toss 4 games in 5 nights (2 and 2), which is done rather routinely by major league relievers, it is either on the scouts and GM for putting a guy in the bullpen who cannot handle that kind of role, or simply that maybe a guys arm is not as durable as we thought.

And for all we know it may be nothing at all, let's not be so quick to blame it on Dusty.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    It's always easy to start blaming Ol' Dusty when a potential arm issue of any sort flares up. If a guy can't toss 4 games in 5 nights (2 and 2), which is done rather routinely by major league relievers, it is either on the scouts and GM for putting a guy in the bullpen who cannot handle that kind of role, or simply that maybe a guys arm is not as durable as we thought.

And for all we know it may be nothing at all, let's not be so quick to blame it on Dusty.
    But its fun to jump on Dusty first and ask questions later. He IMO should not be in the pen to begin with, he needs to be refining and stretching out that arm in Louisville's rotation. Its fun to have that toy at the team's disposal because it is so unique, but at the same time you have no real clue just how use to throwing pre-WBC. This maybe one of the first (if not the first) time he's thrown this much in this short of a period. I'm not worried about him, let him rest a couple days. Until the time that Dr. Kremchek comes on the radio and says that he's done for the year with Tommy John Surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I am glad Hernandez has said something to him.....but Price and Dusty should also pay a little attention here?
    What are you going to do if the guy says he feels fine, feels no pain and aside from the lowered velocity, is throwing what seems to be normally in terms of mechanics? While I understand being worried about the drop in velocity, as I am on that side of the fence, if the guy tells you everything feels great and his mechanics look fine.....

Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing.

Chapman was working on back-to-back days and for the fourth time in five days.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing.

Chapman was working on back-to-back days and for the fourth time in five days.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin
    I think Dusty's a smart man for listening to his veteran catcher.

After Chapman walked the first batter he faced, trainer Paul Lessard and manager Dusty Baker went to the mound to see what was amiss. In appearances the last two nights Chapman’s fastball was in the 93 to 94 miles an hour range, far below capacity.

“He said he was OK,” said Baker. “But catcher Ramon Hernandez said, ‘He’s not right, something isn’t right.’”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...ain_in_32.html
    sorry we're boring

Wasn't Chapman a reliever and starter for Cuba?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?