Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web browser question

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Web browser question

I am running my business on a Mac and that is working just fine with one little glitch. One web site I use for freight, and it's a site that has a lot of freight, only works on IE. I use Firefox for everything else. The only issue is that IE is no longer made for Mac. I have Parallels installed with Windows 7 on an external hard drive so I can run Windows applications simultaneously with my Mac applications.

This arrangement works pretty well, but my Mac is a few years old and sometimes gets bogged down running two operating systems at the same time. Short of getting a new computer, which I really don't want to do yet since it runs pretty darn good when only running one OS, I wonder if I can find another web browser that might be able to trick that site into thinking it's running on IE. Browsers I've tried so far with no success are Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Chrome. There is an ipad browser called Pro Browser that emulates different ones and it works with that site, but I don't think there's a version of that browser for a computer. I guess I could always try to replace the internal hard drive with something much bigger so I don't have things running off an external drive, but if I can find a browser that works I can quit running Windows altogether, which would be preferable anyway. Any ideas?
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Web browser question

You may be able to trick it using an IE user agent spoofer addon in firefox but there may be some active x stuff which requires IE.

What site? I develop for a shipping logistics company.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    You may be able to trick it using an IE user agent spoofer addon in firefox but there may be some active x stuff which requires IE.

What site? I develop for a shipping logistics company.
    I've tried that option in Firefox, but it didn't work because of the active x. The site is http://www.nlmi.com
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

IE only sites are gross. This isnt 1999 anymore. I develop strictly in Firefox and then check the other browsers as I go.

As far as getting IE running on your mac... probably wont be able to get it going.

What does the active x controls do?

Oh crap, you're Charles. haha

IE only sites are gross. This isnt 1999 anymore. I develop strictly in Firefox and then check the other browsers as I go.

As far as getting IE running on your mac... probably wont be able to get it going.

What does the active x controls do?
    On any browser I can log into the site and see the freight, update trucks, do billing, etc., but there is a little button next to each load that you have to click on to expand the information on that shipment and actually submit a bid. On any browser besides IE, if you click on that button, it won't expand all the way and allow you to see all the info or submit a bid. Firefox has an addon called IE tab, but it won't install the active x on there and the site won't even open at all. I can use the site in Firefox without going through IE tab, but if I can't see all the information on the loads or submit bids, it's pretty useless.

Oh crap, you're Charles. haha
    Last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Last time I checked.
    I forgot what your username on RZ was. Saw DeMaris and it clicked. ha

Yea, IE tab is really meant for Windows Firefox installs.

Look into BestTransport. they have a nice system for bidding on shipments.

Not an easy answer obviously, but you shouldn't be held hostage to crap software like that and need to make your voice, as a customer, be heard with your dollar.

Can I see the url??

I can try a test from my end, I have some serious resources available (and we love this sort of stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Can I see the url??

I can try a test from my end, I have some serious resources available (and we love this sort of stuff)
    ORH posted this link above:

http://www.nlmi.com
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Can I see the url??

http://www.nlmi.com

That's the link, but to get to the areas that require IE, you need my login information. I'll PM you.

So, it's a javascript run site that nests all the data in an I-Frame.

I accessed it with FF in a windows environment, turned off my javascript and voila everything stopped working. In short it's not the *just* browser that is causing you issues, it's how the javascript interacts with your browser.

1st thing I would do is update the java that your browser

We know that Java is enabled in your browser, but you should check what version is detected, and if the latest version of Java available for your operating system.

Then I would try it again.

But that said a java driven site is generally written with one audience in mind and the outliers tend to have to modify their approach.

Good luck.

So, it's a javascript run site that nests all the data in an I-Frame.

I accessed it with FF in a windows environment, turned off my javascript and voila everything stopped working. In short it's not the *just* browser that is causing you issues, it's how the javascript interacts with your browser.

1st thing I would do is update the java that your browser

We know that Java is enabled in your browser, but you should check what version is detected, and if the latest version of Java available for your operating system.

Then I would try it again.

But that said a java driven site is generally written with one audience in mind and the outliers tend to have to modify their approach.

Good luck.
    Im confused... Javascript isnt Java.

Im confused... Javascript isnt Java.
    It's all JS in the site.

Not Java.

My bad

unless it is using active x controls, you may consider using safari or chrome, current versions. they may handle the js better.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?