Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

I wanted to start a thread for Draft related predictions along with my predictions for the 1st round and Bengals picks. It will take awhile to put all of this in so I am just gonna put teams and names, if anyone has a question as to why any specific picks just ask. But usually I go BPA at a position of most dire need, of course in this I think value will play just as big a role. Remember this is a prediction not necessarily what I'd personally like to see.

#1 - Carolina - Cam Newton QB Auburn

#2 - Denver - Marcell Dareus DT Alabama

#3 - Buffalo - Von Miller OLB Texas A&M

#4 - Bengals - Nick Fairley DT Auburn

#5 - Arizona - Patrick Peterson CB LSU

#6 - Cleveland - A.J. Green WR UGA

#7 - 49ers - Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska

#8 - Titans - Blaine Gabbert QB Missouri

#9 - Dallas - Tyron Smith OT USC

#10 - Washington - Julio Jones WR 'Bama

#11 - Texans - Robert Quinn OLB UNC

#12 - Vikings - Anthony Costanzo OT B.C.

#13 - Detroit - Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson

#14 - Rams - J.J. Watt DL Wisconsin

#15 - Chargers (From Dolphins for a 3rd Rd.) - Cameron Jordan DE Cal

#16 - Jacksonville - Ryan Kerrigan OLB Purdue

#17 - Patriots - Aldon Smith OLB Missouri

#18 - Dolphins - Mike Pouncey OG/C Florida

#19 - Giants - Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA

#20 - Tampa Bay - Justin Houston DE UGA

#21 - K.C. - Phil Taylor NT Baylor

#22 - Indy - Muhammed Wilkerson DT Temple

#23 - Philly - Jimmy Smith CB Colorado

#24 - Saints - Nate Solder OT Colorado

#25 - Seattle - Mark Ingram RB 'Bama

#26 - Ravens - Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin

#27 - Atlanta - Kyle Rudolph TE Notre Dame

#28 - NE - Derek Sherrod OT Mississippi St.

#29 - Bears - Corey Luiget DT Illinois

#30 - NYJ - Rahim Moore FS UCLA

#31 - Pittsburgh - Brandon Harris CB Miami

#32 - G.B. - Cam Heyward DE OSU

2nd Round:
    #33 - NE - Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa

#34 - Bills - Jake Locker QB Washington

#35 - Bengals - Christian Ponder QB FSU

3rd Round: #66 Orlando Franklin OL Miami Fl.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NFL Draft Prediction(s) Thread

My turn:

1. Carolina- Cam Newton (QB-Auburn)
    2. Denver- Marcell Dareus (DT-Alabama)
    3. Buffalo- Blaine Gabbert (QB-Missouri)
    4. Cincinnati- AJ Green (WR-Georgia)
    5. Arizona- Von Miller (LB-Tex AM)
    6. Cleveland- Nick Fairley (DT-Auburn)
    7. San Fran- Patrick Peterson (CB-LSU)
    8. Tennessee- Robert Quinn (DE-UNC)
    9. Dallas- Prince Amukamara (CB-Nebraska)
    10. Washington-Julio Jones (WR-Alabama)
    11. Houston- JJ Watt (DE-Wisconsin)
    12. Minnesota- Jake Locker (QB-Washington)
    13. Detroit- Tyron Smith (OT-USC)
    14. St Louis- Aldon Smith (DE-Missouri)
    15. Miami- Mark Ingram (RB-Alabama)
    16. Jacksonville- Ryan Kerrigan (DE-Purdue)
    17. New England- Mike Pouncey (G-Florida)
    18. San Diego- Cameron Jordan (DE-Cal)
    19. NY Giants- Anthony Castonzo (OT-Boston College)
    20. Tampa Bay- Adrian Clayborn (DE-Iowa)
    21. Kansas City- Phil Taylor (DT-Baylor)
    22. Indianapolis- Gabe Carimi (OT-Wisconsin)
    23. Philadelphia- Derek Sherrod (OT-Miss St)
    24. New Orleans- Corey Liuget (DT-Illinois)
    25. Seattle- DaQuan Bowers (DE-Clemson)
    26. Baltimore- Jimmy Smith (CB-Colorado)
    27. Atlanta- Torrey Smith (WR-Maryland)
    28. New England- Muhammad Wilkerson (DE-Temple)
    29. Chicago- Nate Solder (OT-Colorado)
    30. NY Jets- Randall Cobb (WR-Kentucky)
    31. Pittsburgh- Ben Ijalana (OT-Villanova)
    32. Green Bay- Cameron Heyward (DE-Ohio State)

Bengals Draft:
    1. AJ Green
    2. Christian Ponder
    3. Daniel Thomas (RB-Kansas St)
    4. Brandon Hogan (CB-WVU)
    5. Ahmad Black (SS-Florida)
    6. Stanley Havili (FB-USC)
    7. Alex Henerey (K/P-Nebraska)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I have to agree with WVRed...if Green is there at 4 which he probably will be, I see Cincy grabbing him. I see Pouncy as a late first round steal and I just don't see Newton going #1...he has a lot of question marks and there will be quality QBs available in the second.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred View Post
    I have to agree with WVRed...if Green is there at 4 which he probably will be, I see Cincy grabbing him. I see Pouncy as a late first round steal and I just don't see Newton going #1...he has a lot of question marks and there will be quality QBs available in the second.
    Probably right. My gut screams they will do something like this but when I sat and pondered the remarks of Marvin and the organization in general the signs pointed to DL. It's the only position they haven't talked up or went into much detail about. They have talked up Cam Newton when asked, they have commented on the WR's, there has been indications they have shown interest in the DB's and Von Miller also. But the DL they just seemed to dismiss. Now to be fair I may be giving them too much credit because they aren't usually the type to do a lot of misdirection but I found it interesting nonetheless and Fairley is right up their alley in alot of ways.

I hope I'm wrong because Fairley seems to be that flash in the pan type of player who will be as much trouble or more than not. Truth is I'm not a big fan of taking WR in that spot just because of the unpredictability of the position, the fact that we have Chad, Jerome, Caldwell, Shipley already and also that Green is a more polished version of Simpson IMO. Neither is a rip the top off the defense type of down field threat, sure they both can get down field but neither is a Chris Henry type. I think 2 starting WR's ought to compliment each other in that way. I also think we have CB's and don't see the sense in drafting something we already have (I believe we will re-sign J-Jo).

I'd rather fill a position of need with Von Miller or get a bigtime upgrade in Dareus but I doubt they are available and I think Gabbert is probably gonna be an iffy pick but if they are gonna take a QB might as well take the best one you can and get one while you can rather than loading up on guys that aren't gonna have an easy time getting on the field with all this competition. Sure I am purposely thinking this year rather than looking towards '12 but I believe your 1st round pick needs to play their 1st year unless it is a QB. This is of course all dependant on Cam Newton being gone, because he is the last I guy I want to see in stripes.

If I had things my way I'd sit at #4 and see if Dareus or Miller drops and if not trade out of the spot if I could. And If I couldn't I'd take Gabbert, if he is also gone then it gets really tricky but I'd be ok with Green, Peterson or Amukamara in that scenario.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsred View Post
    As far as the rest of the 1st round it's tough to tell. I think Pouncey can go anywhere from #14 to 25ish and probably will likely go a bit later (as guards do) than I suspect but it's tough to predict who a team would go with if there isn't somewhere there who fits a relative need. Sure Miami could go Ingram like everyone is predicting but part of the reason for their struggles in running the ball is their interior O-Line is crap and Pouncey is IMO a better more long term prospect than any RB in the 1st these days. RB's can be had virtually anywhere even as undrafted FA's.

I hope Newton goes #1 and if nothing more than ceiling gets him drafted there it wouldn't be surprising to me, in fact yeah I suspect it. Alot of teams have the mindset that if they are stuck picking 1st might as well go QB and ceiling. No question about it in my mind Newton has the ceiling he just isn't very likely to reach it, but if he does you have a big strong playmaker at the most important position on the field.

--Woody Hayes

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

IMHO, the Panthers, a team with many holes to fill, are raving about Newton in an attempt to entice some other team to offer a nice package to move up to nab Newton for themselves.

Newton may well go #1 to the Panthers, but as things stand today, I'll believe it when/if it happens.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    IMHO, the Panthers, a team with many holes to fill, are raving about Newton in an attempt to entice some other team to offer a nice package to move up to nab Newton for themselves.

Newton may well go #1 to the Panthers, but as things stand today, I'll believe it when/if it happens.
    While true I don't think anyone moves up to their spot leaving them stuck with him. They could go another route and IMO would be very wise to do so but it's tough pressure in that spot. I think if Bowers had stayed healthy he really could have changed the entire draft because a pass rushing DE is both worth a #1 pick and would also muster some excitement among their fan base. Being they are a team in such close proximity to SEC country Newton may be a popular pick amongst the masses which is who they need to appeal to.

And FYI I think Buffalo is doing the same thing as I don't believe they like either QB and hope that the Bengals or Cardinals jump ahead of them so Dareus will drop to them.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-16-2011 at 08:58 PM.

--Woody Hayes

Peter King has a new article online today. He is always very tuned in with what the Bengals are up to. Typically only Dave Lapham is more in the know. Peter King makes a point to show how enamored the Bengals are with Andy Dalton, especially Jay and Jon Gruden. I am not a fan of Dalton, but this is a big leak. Peter King is tied in on what the Bengals are thinking. So that means the Bengals are probably looking at Wide Receiver, Corner, or Defensive Line at #4. I lost the link, but I got it from Lance McCallister's blog.

Can we just change this thread to "2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread"
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 04-18-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Peter King has a new article online today. He is always very tuned in with what the Bengals are up to. Typically only Dave Lapham is more in the know. Peter King makes a point to show how enamored the Bengals are with Andy Dalton, especially Jay and Jon Gruden. I am not a fan of Dalton, but this is a big leak. Peter King is tied in on what the Bengals are thinking. So that means the Bengals are probably looking at Wide Receiver, Corner, or Defensive Line at #4. I lost the link, but I got it from Lance McCallister's blog.

I don't know how tuned in with the Bengals King is. He is often very critical of the franchise but I don't think anyone is really tuned in with the Bengals. They operate very close to the vest.

I don't like the idea of going WR #4, actually I hate it. The number of WR's that can change the game by themselves is very very limited. While I think AJ Green is a great talent, I would rather go with defense or OLine. Since no OLine guys screams out I want D.

That said if Gabbert or Newton slip to #4 I don't see how the Bengals don't take one of them. I also think sitting in the early 2nd round is a good spot for the Bengals to be. I would be fine in the 2nd with Locker, Mallet, or even Dalton.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't know how tuned in with the Bengals King is. He is often very critical of the franchise but I don't think anyone is really tuned in with the Bengals. They operate very close to the vest.

I don't like the idea of going WR #4, actually I hate it. The number of WR's that can change the game by themselves is very very limited. While I think AJ Green is a great talent, I would rather go with defense or OLine. Since no OLine guys screams out I want D.

That said if Gabbert or Newton slip to #4 I don't see how the Bengals don't take one of them. I also think sitting in the early 2nd round is a good spot for the Bengals to be. I would be fine in the 2nd with Locker, Mallet, or even Dalton.
    Peter King is in the loop with the Bengals. He has been for years. He covered the team for six seasons, back in the eighties for the Enquirer. As far as the Bengals playing it close to the vest, I would say no, they typically have a predraft tv special, and they pretty much reveal their draftboard. Dave Lapham also knows what is going on and when he starts talking, he is revealing what is going on behind closed doors at PBS. Happens pretty much every year.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Nick Fairley: A Big Daddy Wilkinson for the new milennium...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post

And the Bengals have seemingly went out of their way to downplay DL IMO so my head says Fairley (which I'm not a fan of) but my gut says A.J. Green all the way.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    And the Bengals have seemingly went out of their way to downplay DL IMO so my head says Fairley (which I'm not a fan of) but my gut says A.J. Green all the way.
    Jerry Jones of the Drugstore List was on Sunday Morning Sportstalk on 700WLW. He is also plugged into what the Bengals do, but I put him third behind Lapham, and King. He was saying AJ Green. Thinks QB at two.

NFL Network reporting that Mallet, Locker, and potentially Dalton expected to go in first round.

The Bengals typically don't play games, they have let it be known that this is going to be a "offensive draft". Marvin Lewis on record raving about Cam Newton.

I predict AJ Green, and then a QB in round two.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 04-19-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Re: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

The Bengals typically don't play games, they have let it be known that this is going to be a "offensive draft".
    Most of the Bengals drafts are pretty offensive if you ask me...

Sorry- it needed to be said.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Re: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Are we not feeling the draft folks? Been a whole week since anyway has commented on any of it.

I'll get it started, do we think the Redskins are trying to gauge where the QB's are headed by acting as if they want to trade up to #2 for Blaine Gabbert? NFL.com and ESPN both have reported they have been trying to do so.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?