Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Re: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

I agree I don't think Dalton gets past the next 3 picks. Buffalo needs a QB and NE has also been interested.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Dalton gets taken go BPA and hope Stanzi or Mallett tumble to round 3.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Buffalo will be looking QB too in the 2nd and NE will be looking to sell the pick they got from the Raiders. Dalton may be there he may not, I would roll the dice and if he is not there BPA.
    Buffalo supposedly had a deal in place to trade up for Christian Ponder, into the early twenties. That fell through when he went to the Vikings. They are said to like Dalton.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Wow. 5 DL from the Big Ten in the 1st round. And another Taylor (from Baylor) was once at Penn State.

I also heard Buffalo likes the kid from Nevada too. Wow fun draft so far lots of chess moves going on too bad the bengals are alwasy playing checkers.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I also heard Buffalo likes the kid from Nevada too. Wow fun draft so far lots of chess moves going on too bad the bengals are alwasy playing checkers.
    Truthfully playing in Buffalo don't you want the guy with the big arm? If you already control Ryan Fitzpatrick, why would you draft Dalton?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Fans in Buffalo would love Dalton, smart hard working kid, average arm but he more than makes up for it with smarts. However I heard they love the kid from Nevada and can groom him behind Fitz.

Buffalo may go Bowers and pair him with Dareus that would be pretty scary if the knee holds up.

Green is honestly a great pick. He's legit and a top talent with no real weaknesses.

As a Colts fan, I'm pretty happy with Castonzo. The Colts need O-Line help bad.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 04-29-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Green is honestly a great pick. He's legit and a top talent with no real weaknesses.

As a Colts fan, I'm pretty happy with Castonzo. The Colts need O-Line help bad.
    I agree. Leading up to the draft I wasn't particularly wild about using such a high pick on a WR, but I've warmed to using the pick on A.J. Green. At the end of the day the Bengals were able to address a position of need, get a solid value for their pick and snag one of the safest players in the draft. By Bengals standards, that's not too shabby.

I think I would have probably taken Patrick Peterson over A.J. Green but other than him I can't think of another player I would have liked better in that slot. This year's QB class was vastly overrated and I don't think any of the remaining options offered a great value at where picking. Another OL would have been nice but again none of them warranted being selected that high. I think that Fairley could have been a nice addition, though with some of his off the field issues and his somewhat inconsistent play I can't exactly fault the Bengals for passing on him.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Top talent, crap value. You can find good WRs all over the draft if you scout properly. You need to use a Top-5 pick to do something that improves the core of your team -- OL, QB or Front 7.

Still, they did better than my Buccaneers -- who apparently decided to draft a DE who has a nerve condition in his right arm that prevents him from playing on the left side of the line, and who punched a cab driver in college. Sweet.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Top talent, crap value. You can find good WRs all over the draft if you scout properly. You need to use a Top-5 pick to do something that improves the core of your team -- OL, QB or Front 7.

Still, they did better than my Buccaneers -- who apparently decided to draft a DE who has a nerve condition in his right arm that prevents him from playing on the left side of the line, and who punched a cab driver in college. Sweet.
    You said it yourself...you can find "good" WRs, but you can't find great ones. Green is a great one and the Bengals needed another target to throw to. I generally wouldn't draft a WR with the #5 pick, but Green is special. A Brandon Marshall/Calvin Johnson type is worth the high pick. Green is of that ilk.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You said it yourself...you can find "good" WRs, but you can't find great ones. Green is a great one and the Bengals needed another target to throw to. I generally wouldn't draft a WR with the #5 pick, but Green is special. A Brandon Marshall/Calvin Johnson type is worth the high pick. Green is of that ilk.
    Funny, though, how virtually every top-pedigree, high pick "great" WRs over the last decade+ has never played on a SB winning teams while guys like Marques Colston (rd. 7), Greg Jennings (rd. 2), Deion Branch (rd. 2), and Hines Ward (rd. 3) hoist Lombardi Trophies.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Funny, though, how virtually every top-pedigree, high pick "great" WRs over the last decade+ has never played on a SB winning teams while guys like Marques Colston (rd. 7), Greg Jennings (rd. 2), Deion Branch (rd. 2), and Hines Ward (rd. 3) hoist Lombardi Trophies.
    Super Bowl influencing RD1 WR in last five.
    2011 none
    2010 Reggie Wayne
    2009 Santonio Holmes Larry Fitzgerald
    2008 Plaxico Burress Randy Moss
    2007 Marvin Harrison Reggie Wayne

Fundamentally, I don't disagree with you at all - drafting a WR in the top five is not ideal. However, particularly with the other options that were available to the Bengals, let's not act as if this is a hard and fast rule to be followed. Otherwise, at your repeated imploring, your Bucs were absolutely correct in choosing (the late) Gaines Adams over Calvin Johnson, right?

The only things that could stop Greene from being a HOFer is injury or being drafted by a dysfunctional organization.

He's a weapon.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?