Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Re: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Seeing how Atlanta was trying to trade up, I would have gladly taken their picks and used our first pick on a offensive tackle, which amazingly enough might be our weakest position even with Carson Palmer gone.
    Assuming a comparable (if not better) offer was on the table from the Falcons, then I agree it was a mistake not to take it. In theory, we should have actually been offered a slightly better package than Atlanta offered Cleveland since our pick would have given them the choice of Green/Jones, but Hoosier Red raises a very good point regarding the Falcons' lost bargaining power once the Bengals refused their offer and selected Green. What does bother me is the reasoning (coming from the Bengals) for turning down the trade 'because 27 would be too low' for their liking. Gee, did you ever consider that having that many extra picks to work with would give you plenty of opportunity to trade back up to a spot that is to your liking? That's exactly what Cleveland did (though the player they chose obviously would not have been a fit for the Bengals).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Just some info here...

Bengals.com Link
    With that said I don't hate the Green pick but I probably would have given a slight edge to Patrick Peterson as the pick just because he was A.) considered the slightly better overall prospect B.) Arguably a potentially more pressing need and C.) Has the versatility to potentially fill either of 2 needs at Safety and CB if they don't re-sign Joseph assuming of course the future CBA allows him to be unrestricted. Of course if they have plans to let Chad go maybe that helps trump P2 so whatever but I would have taken that deal, any good organization would have.
    Per my above post, I'm with you on accepting the Falcons trade, though we likely won't ever know exactly what they offered us. I like Patrick Peterson a lot but there's no way CB is a more pressing need for the Bengals than WR. If you're considering Peterson a safety, that's a valid point because it's a huge weakness for us, but of all positions that I'd be reluctant to spend a top five pick on, safety's got to be towards the very top of the list (a little ahead of WR). To your last point, there's absolutely no way I see Chad back here. It was unlikely before Green was drafted and I'd say his selection makes it a formality that he's gone.

As far as resigning Joseph, that's exactly what I'd do, even though it won't be for the cheap prices the Bengals generally allocate for DBs. Assuming he actually wants to stay here (and I've read he's at least open to it), they should be able to get some sort of discount given his injury history, but I'll bet a lot of money (no pun intended) that they let Joseph walk and throw Leon Hall a big contract offer that he'll accept. IMO, that would be a huge mistake because Joseph, despite his injuries, is definitely a better player than Hall. I'd resign Joseph and let someone else overpay for Hall.

Just some info here...

Bengals.com Link

So they didn't want to move to #27, there is no reason to believe they actually offered less for a higher selection. The Bengals wouldn't know value if it slapped them in the face RE: Saints '99. It's simple they convince themselves they have to have certain players and they stick to it more rigidly than anyone ever.

With that said I don't hate the Green pick but I probably would have given a slight edge to Patrick Peterson as the pick just because he was A.) considered the slightly better overall prospect B.) Arguably a potentially more pressing need and C.) Has the versatility to potentially fill either of 2 needs at Safety and CB if they don't re-sign Joseph assuming of course the future CBA allows him to be unrestricted. Of course if they have plans to let Chad go maybe that helps trump P2 so whatever but I would have taken that deal, any good organization would have.
    I thought the same thing at first, but the difference between the Saints then and the Falcons now was that even with Ricky Williams, you could have guessed the Saints were going to be bad still. Not to mention the Redskins didn't have to trade down all the way to the end of the first round in an overall weak to average draft.

To me it's quality over quantity. Once the Bengals get a QB, whether it be Andy Dalton, Ryan Mallet, or even Andrew Luck next year, AJ Green is going to be a weapon at *insert QB here*'s disposal. Trading down might have guaranteed us our QB, but you are surrounding him with possibly weaker talent, and even then, I'm not sold entirely on Dalton.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Per my above post, I'm with you on accepting the Falcons trade, though we likely won't ever know exactly what they offered us. I like Patrick Peterson a lot but there's no way CB is a more pressing need for the Bengals than WR. If you're considering Peterson a safety, that's a valid point because it's a huge weakness for us, but of all positions that I'd be reluctant to spend a top five pick on, safety's got to be towards the very top of the list (a little ahead of WR). To your last point, there's absolutely no way I see Chad back here. It was unlikely before Green was drafted and I'd say his selection makes it a formality that he's gone.

As far as resigning Joseph, that's exactly what I'd do, even though it won't be for the cheap prices the Bengals generally allocate for DBs. Assuming he actually wants to stay here (and I've read he's at least open to it), they should be able to get some sort of discount given his injury history, but I'll bet a lot of money (no pun intended) that they let Joseph walk and throw Leon Hall a big contract offer that he'll accept. IMO, that would be a huge mistake because Joseph, despite his injuries, is definitely a better player than Hall. I'd resign Joseph and let someone else overpay for Hall.
    I'll say this about Chad he is at least under contract currently from what I can tell, so they have the option of having him back as a starting WR in a year where we aren't likely to be competitive (seeing as how they seem content playing a rookie QB). Whereas there is a chance we won't be able to re-sign J-Jo because from what I've heard he was asking for top dollar back when the Bengals had a brief opportunity to re-sign him. I think this is why they hung that 1st and 3rd compensation tag on him. With that plus Adam Jones's health being uncertain we could be looking at Ghee or Trent starting. If they do keep (if he ends up restricted) or re-sign J-Jo then Peterson could make that transition to safety or nickelback for another season to potentially replace Hall. Just seems like a more practical pick to me I guess.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'll say this about Chad he is at least under contract currently from what I can tell, so they have the option of having him back as a starting WR in a year where we aren't likely to be competitive (seeing as how they seem content playing a rookie QB). Whereas there is a chance we won't be able to re-sign J-Jo because from what I've heard he was asking for top dollar back when the Bengals had a brief opportunity to re-sign him. I think this is why they hung that 1st and 3rd compensation tag on him. With that plus Adam Jones's health being uncertain we could be looking at Ghee or Trent starting. If they do keep (if he ends up restricted) or re-sign J-Jo then Peterson could make that transition to safety or nickelback for another season to potentially replace Hall. Just seems like a more practical pick to me I guess.
    Regarding Chad, with two other unproven WR's in the last year of their deals (Simpson and Caldwell), there's no way I can imagine them keeping Chad and playing him over those two. They need to find out beyond a three game sample size if one or both of those two are worth keeping long-term and they can't do that with Green, Chad and Shipley as your top three WRs. Plus, to a lesser extent, as you mentioned, the Bengals are very likely going to stink in 2011 anyway, so I don't see any point in keeping Chad around.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I thought the same thing at first, but the difference between the Saints then and the Falcons now was that even with Ricky Williams, you could have guessed the Saints were going to be bad still. Not to mention the Redskins didn't have to trade down all the way to the end of the first round in an overall weak to average draft.

To me it's quality over quantity. Once the Bengals get a QB, whether it be Andy Dalton, Ryan Mallet, or even Andrew Luck next year, AJ Green is going to be a weapon at *insert QB here*'s disposal. Trading down might have guaranteed us our QB, but you are surrounding him with possibly weaker talent, and even then, I'm not sold entirely on Dalton.
    Not so sure about that. Greg Little is a guy we could have taken at the top of 2 if they insisted on taking a WR early and while he may not be Green he could be a very good starting WR in this league, I see him as an Anquan Boldin type of guy. Then they have additional selections to add RB/OL etc. Plus the ammo to move up next year for a franchise QB in Luck, Barkley or maybe Landry Jones if the latter 2 come out. If not they can pull a page out of N.E.'s playbook and deal for a future 1st in 2013. Bottom line to me is this is a rebuilding if Palmer is indeed gone, quantity fits just as well maybe moreso.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Regarding Chad, with two other unproven WR's in the last year of their deals (Simpson and Caldwell), there's no way I can imagine them keeping Chad and playing him over those two. They need to find out beyond a three game sample size if one or both of those two are worth keeping long-term and they can't do that with Green, Chad and Shipley as your top three WRs. Plus, to a lesser extent, as you mentioned, the Bengals are very likely going to stink in 2011 anyway, so I don't see any point in keeping Chad around.
    Either way you have Simpson, Caldwell and Shipley probably should have run with it.

--Woody Hayes

There's a good chance we find out who has final say in the Bengal organization if both Dalton and Mallet are there.

I would take Mallet. Dalton is too short

Mike Brown likes Mallett and the coaching staff loves Dalton, who wins? If the Bengals walk away with Green and Dalton give this draft an A from me!
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Patriots go Dowling, good big corner. Nice value in the 2nd. They still need a pass rusher though, maybe Bowers?

Bills go Williams CB from Texas, Bengals will get that QB they want without trading up.

Hopefully this is Dalton

Great pick for the Bengals. I really did not think he would be here for this pick

Love this pick for the Bengals, great draft so far for the Bengals!

Turn Off Ads?