Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Re: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm all for Green and LeShore (don't think Ponder and Ingram will be available). No way no how do I want the Bengals to draft a QB this year. Too many issues with the ones available and next year's looks more promising. Stockpile weapons with Green and LeShore to add to Gresham and Shipley, then draft either Andrew Luck or Matt Barkley next year. I believe we will be in bad enough shape to pick one of those two next year.
    Yep, More smoke rising this afternoon that ALL the QBs of interest will be gone in the first round. If that is the case, a top offensive or defensive lineman will drop, maybe a corner. I don't like any of them that much. The Bengals are screwed either way for 2011, so might as well take best player available and go after a veteran free agent QB or live with El Sickness or Jordan Palmer this season, because they likely will stink bad enough to earn a chance at Luck or Barkley.

If they got AJ Green, and then someone like Marvin Austin at the top of round two I would be happy.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Bengals should hope that Gabbert is available at #4 and someone covets him enough to swoop in and take the pick off their hands.

I chuckle every time I see their name attached to A.J. Green. How has picking a WR top-10 worked out for teams over the years?

Darrius Heyward-Bey (#7 - 2009 OAK) BUST
    Calvin Johnson (#1 - 2007 DET) HIT
    Ted Ginn Jr. (#9 - 2007 MIA) BUST
    Braylon Edwards (#3 2005 CLE ) BUST
    Troy Williamson (#7 2005 MIN) BUST
    Mike Williams (#10 2005 DET) BUST
    Larry Fitzgerald (#3 2004 ARI) HIT
    Roy Williams (#7 2004 DET) BUST
    Reggie Williams (#9 2004 JAX) BUST
    Charles Rogers (#2 2003 DET) BUST
    Andre Johnson (#3 2003 HOU) HIT
    David Terrell (#8 2001 CHI) BUST
    Koren Robinson (#9 2001 SEA) BUST

Great odds here.
    Depends how you slice the data: How has picking a WR in the Top-5 worked out for teams in the last 10 years? 3 out of the 5 picks worked out great (A.Johnson, C.Johnson, and Fitzgerald) with the other two (B.Edwards and C.Rogers) showing talent but suffering due to injury and/or off-the-field issues.

If the Bengals stay put at 4, Green or Peterson (as a S, still must re-sign JJ) has to be the pick.

If the Bengals draft Gabbert, my daughter may grow up rooting for a different team.

If Dalton, Ponder and Locker are gone by the time the 2nd round pick comes along, I'd be OK with Kaeparnick, Mallet, Solder or Carimi.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-28-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Rumors have been flying that the Skins would try and move up to get Gabbert. Looks like those deals have been shot down as they lack the picks to get it done. I hear Washington will pull the trigger on the QB they like the most Ponder at #10. Shanahan is starting to scare me if this happens!
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Rumors have been flying that the Skins would try and move up to get Gabbert. Looks like those deals have been shot down as they lack the picks to get it done. I hear Washington will pull the trigger on the QB they like the most Ponder at #10. Shanahan is starting to scare me if this happens!
    Draft time is always a scary time for us Skins fans.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Yep, More smoke rising this afternoon that ALL the QBs of interest will be gone in the first round. If that is the case, a top offensive or defensive lineman will drop, maybe a corner. I don't like any of them that much. The Bengals are screwed either way for 2011, so might as well take best player available and go after a veteran free agent QB or live with El Sickness or Jordan Palmer this season, because they likely will stink bad enough to earn a chance at Luck or Barkley.

If they got AJ Green, and then someone like Marvin Austin at the top of round two I would be happy.
    What scares me the most is I could see Mike Brown offering a first round pick next year to the Patriots to secure Andy Dalton.

I don't want any defensive players taken until the later rounds. Defense is an issue but I think Zimmer can manage. We need to get Jay Gruden pieces to work with in implementing a west coast offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

And the Bengals avoid the first likely bust QB in Cam Newton.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Newton was the #1 pick so Bengals fans don't have to worry about them picking him.

Not that I really care that much, but I would just laugh if the Bengals chose AJ Green (or Julio Jones for that matter). Nothing better than picking the most overrated position with the #4 overall pick right after your franchise QB wants to leave town.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    Not that I really care that much, but I would just laugh if the Bengals chose AJ Green (or Julio Jones for that matter). Nothing better than picking the most overrated position with the #4 overall pick right after your franchise QB wants to leave town.
    AJ Green is so going to be a Bengal.

And Who Dey is on the clock... (*prepares to do his annual draft facepalm*)

And facepalm.

Bengals pick AJ Green

Jordan Palmer just got a great target!

I may be the only one by I like the pick. They will get a QB in the next round.

The Bengals go with the easy, safe choice. Oh well.

LOL Seriously, what difference does it make who's running the routes when your offensive line is garbage and your starting QB is Jordan Palmer? Oh, and aren't we running a WC offense now? Kinda of eliminates Green's deep play threat.

Turn Off Ads?