Ryan Whalen WR Stanford

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...len?id=2495245

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Bengals 6th round pick:

Ryan Whalen WR Stanford

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...len?id=2495245
    Don't like this pick, don't even see a need. I would have went RB here or if not I would have looked at Mark Herzlich, Mario Harvey or a TE like Virgil Green.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    With this pick Dave Lapham's prediction was right on.

He said Green
    He said QB at 2
    He said they were targeting an OLB, and a S.

What is the knock on Sands? I keep seeing nice reports on him, but admittedly I haven't paid close attention to West Virginia Football. He looks like a Strong Safety, is that why he fell? Because he is scheme specific?
    It wasn't a tough prediction I pretty much nailed it myself. In fact at one time or another I had Green 1st, Dalton 2nd, Moch 3rd, Boling 4th & Sands 5th. I always had hope certain guys would drop allowing for better value at some spots and at times not sure if they would be available but usually had QB 2nd, OL or OLB 3rd the opposite in the 4th and Safety 5th.

As far as Sands goes he was one of my early favorites. He is a bit stiff and not great in coverage but he is a big, physical SS type with solid speed, hands, character etc. I guess one might say he is like a poor mans Roy Williams but he has enough tools to be decent at some point in zone coverage.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Don't like this pick, don't even see a need. I would have went RB here or if not I would have looked at Mark Herzlich, Mario Harvey or a TE like Virgil Green.
    Totally agree. This is a wasted pick. Who would go to make room for this athletically limited guy? Lots of guys left that I would rather take a flyer on. Defensive players with upside potential still on the board, running backs, linebackers, and more safeties. Heck if you wanted a WR, why not look at a couple of the local guys? Dane Sanzenbacher and Armon Binns are still there.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Totally agree. This is a wasted pick. Who would go to make room for this athletically limited guy? Lots of guys left that I would rather take a flyer on. Defensive players with upside potential still on the board, running backs, linebackers, and more safeties. Heck if you wanted a WR, why not look at a couple of the local guys? Dane Sanzenbacher and Armon Binns are still there.
    I have noticed in the past the Bengals have this strange fascination with selecting late round WR's especially when they draft a QB. And they almost always take 2 WR's at a time, Mike Brown is just obsessed with the passing game. Had I went WR I would have went Ricardo Lockette a 6'2 211 pound burner out of Ft. Valley State.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-30-2011 at 03:53 PM.

--Woody Hayes

One pick after Whalen the Vikings took Demarcus Love. I would rather seen a big body like him that can play tackle brought in for depth and development.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

If anybody catches this Andy Dalton is getting ready to come on the NFL Network coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'm not going to complain about a sixth round pick. If he pans out, fine, but second day is generally a crapshoot.

For the most part, I love this draft. Green, Boling, and Sands I believe can be studs if used correctly. I think Dalton is going to be the key for the Bengals and this draft and whether or not he can win.

The sad realization is that the Bengals need a QB who can win in Cincinnati IN SPITE OF Mike Brown. You need a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees type of QB to be successful here, and Palmer was probably the closest thing to that. I don't think Andy Dalton could reach that level, but Andrew Luck is the one who could.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

I'm very happy with the Colts picks thus far as well.
    Me too. I love using the first two picks on O linemen. Improve the running game and protect Manning. Done and done.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Me too. I love using the first two picks on O linemen. Improve the running game and protect Manning. Done and done.
    I think the Colts did fine with the draft, I trust Polian. I like the bowling ball running back they picked up. I was kind of surprised they picked up guys with character issues though.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think the Colts did fine with the draft, I trust Polian. I like the bowling ball running back they picked up. I was kind of surprised they picked up guys with character issues though.
    I agree. However, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that they passed on local hero, Tanden Doss in round 4, who would have given the receiving corp a shot in the arm and helped the return game,as well. I was even more disappointed that Doss went to the Ratbirds..Yuck!

From where I'm sitting, they could have taken Doss and gone after someone like John Clay, who wasn't drafted, later to fill the battering-Ram role. But, as you stated, it's difficult to second guess Polian, and the receiving corp should benefit from the return of Clark and Gonzalez.

Still, plenty to smile about.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Top undrafted players.

GBN 'BIG BOARD':
    REMAINING TOP PROSPECTS FOR THE 2011 DRAFT
    (* indicates underclassman; (O) indicates off-field issue or (X) injury could cloud draft status)

DeAndre McDaniel FS Clemson
    Pat Devlin QB Delaware
    Jeron Johnson FS Boise State
    Deunta Williams FS North Carolina (X)
    Ray Dominquez OT Arkansas
    Mark Herzlich LB Boston College (X)
    Terrance Tolliver WR LSU
    Pierre Allen DE Nebraska
    Ian Williams DT Notre Dame
    Kris O'Dowd C Southern California (X)
    Derrick Locke RB Kentucky
    Adrien Moten LB Maryland
    Joe Lefeged FS Rutgers
    Ricardo Lockette WR Fort Valley State
    Cedric Thornton DT Southern Arkansas
    Jarriel King OT South Carolina
    Ugo Chinasa DE Oklahoma State
    Zach Hurd OG UConn
    Tim Barnes C Missouri
    Josh Byrnes LB Auburn
    Brandon Bair DE Oregon (DT)
    Martin Parker DT Richmond
    Noel Devine RB West Virginia
    Ryan Jones CB Northwest Missouri State
    Nick Bellore LB Central Michigan
    Mario Harvey LB Marshall
    Willie Smith OT East Carolina
    Scott Lutrus LB UConn
    *Jerrard Tarant FS Georgia Tech
    *Tori Gurley WR South Carolina
    Alex Wujciak LB Maryland
    *Weslye Saunders TE South Carolina (O)
    *Will Hill FS Florida
    Kendric Burney CB North Carolina
    Kai Forbath PK UCLA
    Terrance Turner WR Indiana
    Alex Linnenkohl C Oregon State
    Ryan Winterswyck DE Boise State
    Orie Lemon LB Oklahoma State
    Sealver Silga DT Utah
    Henry Hynoski FB Pittsburgh
    Kyle Hix OT Texas
    Scott Tolzein QB Wisconsin
    Ryan Donahue P Iowa
    David Sims SS Iowa State
    Justin Boren OG Ohio State
    Brian Duncan LB Texas Tech
    Adam Grant OT Arizona
    Ollie Ogbu DT Penn State
    Zane Taylor C Utah
    Jeremiha Hunter LB Iowa
    Mike McNeill TE Nebraska
    Andrew Rich SS BYU
    Josh Portis QB Californai (PA)
    *Darren Evans RB Virginia Tech (X)
    Adrian Taylor DT Oklahoma (X)
    Josh Jasper PK LSU
    Devon Torrence CB Ohio State
    Peanut Joseph LB Temple
    Mana Silva FS Hawaii
    Jerrod Johnson QB Texas A&M
    *DeAndre Brown WR Southern Mississippi
    Bryant Browning OG Ohio State
    Schuyler Oordt TE Northern Iowa
    Quentin Davie LB Northwestern
    Mario Fannin RB Auburn
    Andre Holmes WR Hillsdale
    Derrell Smith LB Syracuse
    Dane Sansenbacher WR Ohio State
    Chas Henry P Florida
    Colby Whitlock DT Texas Tech
    Stephen Friday DE Virginia Tech
    Charlie Gantt TE Michigan State
    *Tom Keiser LB Stanford (DE)
    Brandon Saine RB Ohio State
    Taylor Potts QB Texas Tech
    Zac Etheridge SS Auburn
    *John Clay RB Wisconsin
    Ryan Colburn QB Fresno State
    Ladi Ajiboye DT South Carolina
    Josh Davis OT Georgia
    Jeff Van Camp QB Florida Atlantic
    Nate Williams SS Washington
    Anthony Gray DT Southern Missisippi
    Marshall Williams WR Wake Forest
    Eric Gordon LB Michigan State (SS)
    http://www.gbnreport.com/updatedtop100.html
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Is this kid going to be able to get the ball down the field in December in Pittsburgh when it's snowing?

AJ Green is an incredible weapon...

Heard a draft guru ripping Dalton's arm strength... You need a strong-armed QB in the AFC North.

I would love to see the Bengals give Derrick Locke a look. If he gets past the injury bug that has plagued him off and on the past couple years, he has Reggie Bush type potential... Low risk high reward move.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Is this kid going to be able to get the ball down the field in December in Pittsburgh when it's snowing?

AJ Green is an incredible weapon...

Heard a draft guru ripping Dalton's arm strength... You need a strong-armed QB in the AFC North.
    You forgot to mention Daulton's biggest weakness....his red hair. Can you name me one great red headed quarterback?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?