Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Re: NFL Draft Prediction(s) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    And the Bengals have seemingly went out of their way to downplay DL IMO so my head says Fairley (which I'm not a fan of) but my gut says A.J. Green all the way.
    Why not a fan of Fairley?
    He was the guy I've wanted all along. Obviously the risk/reward with a guy who "takes plays off" is significant, but it seems as though Zimmer has been able to get guys with those reputations to perform well.

There may be some selection bias in my memory, but especially front 7 guys who have dropped because of questionable motor like Dunlap, Atkins, Michael Johnson have all played well and had no issue with effort.

Of course the Bengals got those guys a round or two lower than they otherwise would because of the questions about motor. If they draft Fairley, they're not getting any discount on him so the pressure is higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't remember being this disinterested in the draft in a long time.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    I don't remember being this disinterested in the draft in a long time.
    I was just thinking the same thing and I have no idea why. I usually really look forward to it.

Re: 2011 NFL Draft Discussion Thread

Ok, with that said, I just spent 5 minutes looking over my Lindy's draft preview.

How's this for a quick infusion of offense?

Draft triplets with the first three picks.

1st Green - WR
    2nd Ingram - RB (probably won't be available, if not maybe take LeShoure)
    3rd Ponder - QB

I really like Ponder, as long as his elbow can hold up.

No way Ponder is available in 3rd. I'm just as excited for this draft as I usually am.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Ok, with that said, I just spent 5 minutes looking over my Lindy's draft preview.

How's this for a quick infusion of offense?

Draft triplets with the first three picks.

1st Green - WR
    2nd Ingram - RB (probably won't be available, if not maybe take LeShoure)
    3rd Ponder - QB

I really like Ponder, as long as his elbow can hold up.
    No way Ponder lasts until the third round (even the top of the round where the Bengals pick) and recent reports say he may not even still be there in the second.

I think the Bengals trade down in the first. Several teams want to move up to get either Peterson, Green or Miller. The Bengals are in a perfect spot should these players be there at 4.

Perfect trade partner would be New England. They own two 1st, two 2nd and two 3rd round picks.

I even heard a scenario this morning that would be intriguing ...

1) Newton, CAR
    2) Miller, DEN
    3) Gabbert, BUF

That would leave Dareus available at 4.

Well, what does that say for my Lindy's preview?

They have Ponder going in the 3rd, but I'm sure this thing is very outdated already.

I also like Ricky Stanzi and find him extremely underrated. Maybe not a great fit for the Bengals, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it somewhere and be a very solid starting QB in the future.

I couldn't believe he wasn't named on any of the All Big 10 teams. 6-7 QB's were listed and not Stanzi. His numbers were very good last year, even though Iowa struggled with injuries and had a tough year overall.

My general thinking for the draft is you don't draft the guys who are big time risers and you want to scoop in and draft the ones that are fallers. Guys who rise do so based upon nothing they have done on the field. And they guys who fall do so based upon the off field stuff. Now its a drug, character, or arrest issue then I understand that. But if hies 40 isn't great or his broad jump isn't that high, or his wonderlick isn't great who cares.

As for Stanzi if given the right situation I think he can be a solid QB. He may never be a top 5 type QB but I think he could be a very reliable game manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Why not a fan of Fairley?
    He was the guy I've wanted all along. Obviously the risk/reward with a guy who "takes plays off" is significant, but it seems as though Zimmer has been able to get guys with those reputations to perform well.

There may be some selection bias in my memory, but especially front 7 guys who have dropped because of questionable motor like Dunlap, Atkins, Michael Johnson have all played well and had no issue with effort.

Of course the Bengals got those guys a round or two lower than they otherwise would because of the questions about motor. If they draft Fairley, they're not getting any discount on him so the pressure is higher.
    That's basically my reasoning, too risky for my taste, at #4 anyway. In fact I am a bit unsure if I'd take the risk in the 1st at all on him. One other thing that I am not enamored with is guys who are largely pass rushers at that position who don't play with the same intensity against the run, sure they like getting behind th eline no matter who has the ball but when it comes to taking on blockers so their LB's can make the play they tend to be lackluster, a good tell tale sign about their true intentions.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I think the Bengals trade down in the first. Several teams want to move up to get either Peterson, Green or Miller. The Bengals are in a perfect spot should these players be there at 4.

Perfect trade partner would be New England. They own two 1st, two 2nd and two 3rd round picks.

I even heard a scenario this morning that would be intriguing ...

1) Newton, CAR
    2) Miller, DEN
    3) Gabbert, BUF

That would leave Dareus available at 4.
    Michael Lombardi (NFL Network) is reporting that the Bengals are actively trying to trade down from #4 (even willing to take less to do so) to get ammo to trade back up in the 1st from the 2nd to acquire Andy Dalton.

Apparently several teams have suggested the Bengals are trying to move. I hope the Pats would be interested for picks #17 and 28, that would be perfect for us to acquire something like Pouncey and Dalton, come back in the 2nd and get the best RB ava. But I'd be just as happy taking Dareus and then best QB available in the 2nd.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-28-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Michael Lombardi (NFL Network) is reporting that the Bengals are actively trying to trade down from #4 (even willing to take less to do so) to get ammo to trade back up in the 1st from the 2nd to acquire Andy Dalton.

Apparently several teams have suggested the Bengals are trying to move. I hope the Pats would be interested for picks #17 and 28, that would be perfect for us to acquire something like Pouncey and Dalton, come back in the 2nd and get the best RB ava.
    I am starting to wonder if the whole Dalton thing is a smoke screen. Maybe they like someone better and want to get everyone off of him.

On a related note I find it interesting the number of QBs that could go in round one. Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Dalton, Kaepernick, and Ponderer. How many of those guys would be legit first rounders in normal years?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am starting to wonder if the whole Dalton thing is a smoke screen. Maybe they like someone better and want to get everyone off of him.

On a related note I find it interesting the number of QBs that could go in round one. Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Dalton, Kaepernick, and Ponderer. How many of those guys would be legit first rounders in normal years?
    I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Mallet go in the first, either.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    As for Stanzi if given the right situation I think he can be a solid QB. He may never be a top 5 type QB but I think he could be a very reliable game manager.
    Agree. Look at these numbers from last year:

221-345 (64%)
    3004 yards
    25 TD
    6 INT
    12th rated passer in the country

How does that not qualify for All-Big 10, when 6 other QB's are listed on the team?

Persa = 1st/2nd
    Robinson = HM/1st
    Tolzien = 2nd/HM
    Pryor = HM/HM
    Cousins = HM/HM
    Chappel = HM

Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Mallet go in the first, either.
    Likewise slip into the 2nd round, his lack of mobility seems to have people concerned. I am thinking Newton, Gabbert & Locker are locks for the 1st. Dalton seems to be closing in on being the 4th lock. But that also leaves the 1st 3 picks in the 2nd NE dealing down, Buffalo if they don't take one in the 1st and then us. I think Kaepernick is a good fit with Buffalo's (Washingtons also BTW) offense plus they can afford to sit him awhile. Ponder or Mallet seem to be the guys I think are there for the Bengals in the 2nd if they can't move.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?