Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Revisiting the 6 man rotation

Revisiting the 6 man rotation

Homer Bailey is one start away from rejoining the rotation. Johnny Cueto isn't far behind. The Reds don't really have an obvious guy to send down. I'm not a fan of the 6 man rotation, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea for this team, this year.

- Bailey required two extra days of rest prior to his last rehab and will still get an extra day prior to his next one. He's got a history of arm issues for two years running now and seems to do well with the extra rest.

- Cueto had his own soreness that needs to be babied a little and has worn down in the past to the point of needing to be skipped and once even DL'd for a month to get some rest.

- Arroyo is suffering the residual effects of mono and probably will be most of the season. He's doing OK, but more rest would seem a good idea.

- Leake wore out pretty early in 2010 and had some arm issues when it was over. He's still young and needs to be babied a bit anyway. A sixth starter would be a good way to limit his innings while keeping him available all year.

- Wood is still a kid in his first full season. He can probably handle the load of a five man all year, but extra rest won't hurt him either.

- Volquez is still re-establishing himself post TJ. Can't hurt to baby him a bit as well.

Every one of the pitchers in this rotation might genuinely benefit by having an extra day between starts in 2011 and it would lighten the loads of the starters by 20 to 25 innings each. That may make them all a bit fresher as the post season starts-up and might help to level the field against other teams with more prototypical TOR starters who may be a bit worn down by October. I hated the idea when I first heard the suggestion and wouldn't want this to be a long term change, but with these pitchers on this team, this year, it has some logic to it. I'd be in favor of giving it a try to protect these young arms.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mth123; 04-26-2011 at 06:32 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Revisiting the 6 man rotation

I don't see them doing it, mth, but it certainly is an interesting idea with the shape of the pitching staff right now. Always good to think out of the box.

Would you carry one less reliever? Interesting idea.......

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Would you carry one less reliever? Interesting idea.......
    I'd say you could safely dump the "long man" if we went this route. And I was in favor of it last year too. It could also be a way to break Chapman into starting too.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I don't see them doing it, mth, but it certainly is an interesting idea with the shape of the pitching staff right now. Always good to think out of the box.
    I pretty much agree with this. It is a good idea, but I can't see the Reds doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd say you could safely dump the "long man" if we went this route. And I was in favor of it last year too. It could also be a way to break Chapman into starting too.
    If the idea is to use all 6 guys on an extra day of rest and get them in a starters cycle then you couldn't really dump the long man could you?

Who comes in when a starter can't make it out of the 3rd inning lets say?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Every one of the pitchers in this rotation might genuinely benefit by having an extra day between starts in 2011 and it would lighten the loads of the starters by 20 to 25 innings each. That may make them all a bit fresher as the post season starts-up and might help to level the field against other teams with more prototypical TOR starters who may be a bit worn down by October. I hated the idea when I first heard the suggestion and wouldn't want this to be a long term change, but with these pitchers on this team, this year, it has some logic to it. I'd be in favor of giving it a try to protect these young arms.

Thoughts?
    I don't like the idea of a 6 man rotation. In general pitchers get used to pitching on every 5th or 6th day. Starting a 6 man rotation definitely would change that rotation. You also have a guy like Arroyo who has spent his entire career pitching every 5th day. The Reds will even most a slotted pitcher back to keep Arroyo on normal rest.

You mentioned Travis Wood in his first full season in the majors. When you look at it more closely he had 126IP in 2008, 167IP in 2009 , and 200IP in 2010. At this point in his career I don't think you need to watch his innings pitched.

On other complication would be the size of a pitching staff. You have 6 starters who would strictly start games. That would mean you would either have to sacrifice a bull pen arm or a bench player. Do you want to shorten your bench by one player?

If the starters got an extra day of rest, could they throw more pitches on their start?
    For example, if a guy that is normally limited to 100 pitches could throw now 110, I could see this being a benefit by saving the bullpen.. (Hypothetically speaking).

Another interesting thing is that Willis is throwing really well at AAA.. He's being used as a starter there. I wonder if Price fixed something and the stats are a legit sign of improvement, or if he just has a much easier time facing AAA players. In any event, it's going to be tempting to find a place for Willis if Price feels he's truly made an adjustment.
    I'd prefer to have Willis in the pen to help in the 7/8 innings.. but I wonder if he's still insurance for the rotation.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Pitchers need to throw to be at their best.

I'm also led to an Earl Weaver quote when thinking of 6, it was 'It's easier to find 4 good pitchers than 5."

A six man rotation is essentially one start a week. I think shorter stints more frequently would be better. That would send you the bullpen direction. Maybe we should try a tandem rotation. Homer has already done that
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    - Leake wore out pretty early in 2010 and had some arm issues when it was over. He's still young and needs to be babied a bit anyway. A sixth starter would be a good way to limit his innings while keeping him available all year.

Thoughts?
    I have always been of the belief that Leake did not wear out from overuse but instead ran into issues from lack of/ inconsistent use. It was when they started to give him extra days that he became less effective. I would be concerned this may crop up with a 6 man rotation for him.

Bob Boone says hello.
    Where we gonna go?

I'm not real big on this idea either, but Bailey, Volquez and Leake all had arm issues last season and Bailey and Cueto already this year. Add Arroyo's mono and only Wood seems like he's at full strength.

I agree with Randy. The Reds would never actually do this, but I think its worth a try at least until they sort themselves out.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    If the idea is to use all 6 guys on an extra day of rest and get them in a starters cycle then you couldn't really dump the long man could you?

Who comes in when a starter can't make it out of the 3rd inning lets say?
    But with that extra day's rest you give yourself that window to alter the rotation by one day in an emergency situation. Once they go through the rotation again people can be moved right back to where they were. Not to mention off days...I don't see it being much of a problem.

To be completely honest though, I'd prefer if we worked out a trade somehow to address other needs. We're talking about having 6 viable starters (Edinson, Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo, Wood, Leake) and we're not even talking about LeCure (who's been very solid) and Chapman. At some point a deal almost HAS to be made.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-26-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Turn Off Ads?