Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Cincinnati has no NBA team because..

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • It didn't work with the Royals

5 10.42%
  • There aren't any known investors

4 8.33%
  • Inadequate Arena

12 25.00%
  • No fan interest

29 60.42%
  • Economy/Not enough people

23 47.92%
  • Yes! Cincy should get an NBA franchise

3 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The reason why Cincinnati has no NBA team

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

The reason why Cincinnati has no NBA team

Vote!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: The reason why Cincinnati has no NBA team

It's kind of related to #5 (economy/not enough people), but the best answer is, "because Cincinnati isn't that big and has a team in the NFL."

(Set aside the "Bengals? NFL? Really?" jokes for a moment, folks.)

Once outside the major markets that easily support all the sports, the NBA generally doesn't like being in a smallish market that has the NFL grabbing the majority of attention and corporate sponsorship. They'd rather go somewhere where they can be the only game in town, even if it means being in a slightly smaller market. Think San Antonio, Utah, Portland, Oklahoma City, etc. as opposed to Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh or Nashville.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    It's kind of related to #5 (economy/not enough people), but the best answer is, "because Cincinnati isn't that big and has a team in the NFL."

Once outside the major markets that easily support all the sports, the NBA generally doesn't like being in a smallish market that has the NFL grabbing the majority of attention and corporate sponsorship. They'd rather go somewhere where they can be the only game in town, even if it means being in a slightly smaller market. Think San Antonio, Utah, Portland, Oklahoma City, etc. as opposed to Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh or Nashville.
    Sounds like they could use a team in Las Vegas or Louisville.

They are trying to get one here in Louisville, and for the love of all thats Holy I hope they do not. I loved the NBA when I was a teen and even a little into my 20's, but I really would rather have minor league hockey than the NBA now. Just don't care. I'm not sure its a sport that stays with you as you get older, but maybe thats just me.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    They are trying to get one here in Louisville, and for the love of all thats Holy I hope they do not. I loved the NBA when I was a teen and even a little into my 20's, but I really would rather have minor league hockey than the NBA now. Just don't care. I'm not sure its a sport that stays with you as you get older, but maybe thats just me.
    Shouldn't worry about next year, as it's unlucky there's even going to be a season. If there is, it probably won't begin until January.

David Stern has really done a poor job of running the NBA the last 10 years. They're in a lot of trouble.

The NBA is boring and the city of Cincinnati has realized that. It's not coming back. There's great collegiate basketball here too: UC, XU, UK, OSU, etc. Plenty of more exciting options.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I'm the opposite in that I would like to see a NBA team in Louisville, but I don't know that it would work.

Louisville has a brand new arena, but it is controlled by the University of Louisville and I don't think they would be very friendly tennants. Rick Pitino has said he is against bringing a NBA team to Louisville, while John Calipari is all for it. Freedom Hall would likely work, but it would need renovated first.

It may get somewhat of a following, but most Kentucky fans only care about former UK players that are currently in the NBA. Best bet would be to draft a UK/UofL player every year in the draft and you might hold the fan interest.

As for Cincinnati, a new arena or renovating US Bank Arena would be the first priority. I think Cincinnati could support it, as long as the team is winning. If they win, Mike Brown will feel the squeeze, and the Reds as well if they have a down season. Competition would actually be nice in Cincy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post

Spot on.

[QUOTESounds like they could use a team in Las Vegas or Louisville.][/QUOTE]

Not happening.

Las Vegas is out because of the obvious gambling issue.

Louisville is too close to Indy, one of the smallest markets.

Then again, if Seattle and Sacramento can lose franchises, there's no telling what's next.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm the opposite in that I would like to see a NBA team in Louisville, but I don't know that it would work.

Louisville has a brand new arena, but it is controlled by the University of Louisville and I don't think they would be very friendly tennants. Rick Pitino has said he is against bringing a NBA team to Louisville, while John Calipari is all for it. Freedom Hall would likely work, but it would need renovated first.

It may get somewhat of a following, but most Kentucky fans only care about former UK players that are currently in the NBA. Best bet would be to draft a UK/UofL player every year in the draft and you might hold the fan interest.

As for Cincinnati, a new arena or renovating US Bank Arena would be the first priority. I think Cincinnati could support it, as long as the team is winning. If they win, Mike Brown will feel the squeeze, and the Reds as well if they have a down season. Competition would actually be nice in Cincy.
    Yeah UofL has already stated that the YUM center ain't happening, so Freedom Hall is the target right now. Sacto was one of the targets and I can't remember the other one I've heard thrown around....Memphis maybe? I dunno really can't recall.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

San Diego doesn't have a team.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

1. Inadequate Arena -- US Bank seats 17,000 for hoops, which would make it the smallest arena in the NBA. Additionally, it has a limited number of luxury suites available compared to most modern arenas (and they're more skyboxes than luxury suites anyway -- they're arguably the worst seats in the house since they're at the top of the arena). Those would all be deal-breakers by themselves, but you can also add in the lack of anything approaching a modern locker room facilities and on-sight training / workout areas and it drives even more nails into the coffin.

US Bank Arena simply isn't up to spec for a professional franchise -- hockey or basketball. It's been made to look as nice as it can possibly get, but they'd have to doze the entire thing and build a new arena if they ever wanted an NBA or NHL team. Good luck getting the county to ever build a stadium again after the (continuing) debacle surrounding the Bengals and Reds deal.

2. Competition for Resources -- You've got the Reds and the Bengals soaking up sports dollars, and you've also got two (historically) top-flight college programs in Xavier and UC. I don't know that there's room for another professional sport playing 40+ home dates per year.

3. Regional Saturation -- Pacers 2 hours to the West, Cavs 3 hours to the East.

4. Lack of Interest -- I don't sense any great desire to have the NBA in Cincinnati.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    2. Competition for Resources -- You've got the Reds and the Bengals soaking up sports dollars, and you've also got two (historically) top-flight college programs in Xavier and UC. I don't know that there's room for another professional sport playing 40+ home dates per year.
    While all of the other reasons apply, I think this one is the most compelling argument against bringing an NBA team to Cincinnati. I think one can make a very compelling argument that the city's sports dollars are stretched too thin in the current environment and that adding an NBA team would only exacerbate the problem.

The Reds finished 20th in total attendance in 2010, the 2nd lowest of any playoff team. Even with the predicted bump in attendance this season, the Reds will likely finish somewhere in the middle of the pack attendance-wise. Add in the waning support for the Bengals and the anemic support for UC's basketball program and I think it's pretty much impossible to argue that the city needs another team to support.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    San Diego doesn't have a team.
    San Diego don't care about sports teams. Its why they are a large market but can't draw. The Chargers have a very good organization but face black outs every year. They can't support the Padres. They lost at least one NBA franchise.

I voted for a combination of all the negatives listed in the poll. They all contribute as does market saturation.

Yeah UofL has already stated that the YUM center ain't happening, so Freedom Hall is the target right now. Sacto was one of the targets and I can't remember the other one I've heard thrown around....Memphis maybe? I dunno really can't recall.
    Sacramento is relocating, most likely to Anaheim. Memphis is a possibility although they are playing in a newer arena. The other more likely candidate to lose a franchise is New Orleans, who the NBA owns similar to the Expos. The NBA wants to keep the franchise there but outside of Sacto, New Orleans is the most likely.

My guess is Kansas City (Sprint Center), or Seattle if they ever get a new arena, will be the most likely options.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?