Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Cincinnati has no NBA team because..

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • It didn't work with the Royals

5 10.42%
  • There aren't any known investors

4 8.33%
  • Inadequate Arena

12 25.00%
  • No fan interest

29 60.42%
  • Economy/Not enough people

23 47.92%
  • Yes! Cincy should get an NBA franchise

3 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The reason why Cincinnati has no NBA team

real baseball - No DH

Re: The reason why Cincinnati has no NBA team

The NBA is a losing proposition. 17 out of 30 teams are in the red. Half the league plays to less than 90% capacity - 4 at less than 80%. The game is boring compared to the college. Ticket prices are ridiculous.

UC's support is awful finishing 13th in the league behind even DePaul and Seton Hall. What would an NBA team do to Xavier and UC crowds? Cincinnati should consider themselves lucky they aren't encumbered with a money losing franchise ready to skip town leaving behind a mountain of debt.

My apologies if my feelings about a bunch of chest thumping meatheads colors my opinion.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I voted for a combination of all the negatives listed in the poll. They all contribute as does market saturation.
    Me too. I clicked on the top 5 options.

I have fond memories of seeing Oscar, Lucas, Wilt, Russell, Havlicek, West, Baylor, etc at the Gardens. I'm glad I got to experience that. But this area just wouldn't support an NBA team and there is 0% chance they'd get state of the art facilities for it. Just can't see it happening.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    The NBA is a losing proposition. 17 out of 30 teams are in the red. Half the league plays to less than 90% capacity - 4 at less than 80%. The game is boring compared to the college. Ticket prices are ridiculous.

UC's support is awful finishing 13th in the league behind even DePaul and Seton Hall. What would an NBA team do to Xavier and UC crowds? Cincinnati should consider themselves lucky they aren't encumbered with a money losing franchise ready to skip town leaving behind a mountain of debt.

My apologies if my feelings about a bunch of chest thumping meatheads colors my opinion.
    David Stern's an idiot. He's been an idiot for a long time now. He has no frickin' idea what he's doing.

From Rotoworld via NBATV w/ Rotoworld comments:

David Stern projected on Friday that the NBA will lose $300 million this season, with 22 teams losing money.

The league's projections are always suspect, however, especially with collective-bargaining negotiations on the horizon. A different statistic showed that the league's arenas were collectively at 90% capacity this season, for the seventh season in a row.

That stat about the league's arenas at 90% capacity is hogwash. Someone is lying whoever wrote that. 50% of the arenas rarely are filled to 1/3rd capacity on any given night.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I think Columbus is more likely (there's a building for it here at least), and I don't think Columbus would ever get a franchise either. Cincinnati's way, way down the list of potential locations.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I think Columbus is more likely (there's a building for it here at least), and I don't think Columbus would ever get a franchise either. Cincinnati's way, way down the list of potential locations.
    Never really thought of Columbus, but Nationwide Arena and the proximity to Cincinnati would make that work. I think the biggest fear would be taking away from the Cavs, who are going to be in for a world of hurt given the ownership and LeBron leaving town.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    San Diego don't care about sports teams. Its why they are a large market but can't draw. The Chargers have a very good organization but face black outs every year. They can't support the Padres. They lost at least one NBA franchise.
    Sorry to veer off-topic, but respectfully, this is untrue.

Percentage-wise, more people attend MLB games in SD than they do in Metro LA.

Population: From Wikipedia

Metro LA - 17,786,419
    Metro SD - 3,053,793

Baseball attendance: From ESPN

Angels and Dodgers - 6,813,134
    Padres - 2,131,774

LA - 6,813,134/17,786,419 = .383

SD - 2,131,774/3,053,774 = .698

As for the Chargers, the prevailing feeling in SD is that Spanos made up his mind years ago to move to LA and now he's just waiting for his Qualcomm lease with San Diego to run out. That's why he had such an outrageous negotiating position ("Give me $700 million for a new stadium, make sure I and not the city get to own the new stadium, oh, and I want you to give me all the old land at Qualcomm stadium" It wasn't even that long ago that taxpayers footed the bill to upgrade Quallcom. Not unlike Seattle with Key Arena.

True, San Diego has lost two NBA teams and one ABA team, but in all cases, it wasn't San Diego's fault.

The Rockets moved to Houston because the owner encountered tax problems and couldn't find a local owner to take over. Plus, the Houston Rockets didn't draw flies until the Summit was built.

The ABA Conquistadors folded because then Lakers owner Jack Kent Cooke (Yes, the former Redskins owner) feared that an NBA team in SD--an ABA/NBA merger was just around the corner--would harm his Southern California Cable TV empire, and promptly pressured fellow NBA owners to reject SD. Louisville lost the Colonels for similar reasons.

The reason the Clippers left SD: Los Angeleno, Donald T. Sterling.

His hosing of SD is well documented and isn't worth me typing two paragraphs for emphasis.

Don't kid yourselves, one of the main reasons that the Malgoof brothers are eying Anaheim is to access the SD market in a backdoor way. Read: The Honda Center isn't up to snuff and any upgrades are simply a five year band-aid. Should the Chargers move to L.A as anticipated, SD, with more fortune 500 companies than the entire LA market, will look to fill the void by finally replacing the Sports Arena. The lack of an arena is the only reason there is no team in SD, which is a much better market than it was 25 years ago and a better market than many current NBA cities.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 04-15-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: punctuation
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Maybe the Kings will move back to KC, then to Cincy....

then back to Rochester.

This trend will eventually lead to the return of the Minneapolis Lakers. I'm sure we can all see that.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Maybe the Kings will move back to KC, then to Cincy....

then back to Rochester.

This trend will eventually lead to the return of the Minneapolis Lakers. I'm sure we can all see that.
    As a fan of the only other team (Atlanta Hawks) to have moved as much as the Kings, I'm going to vote against it. Something tells me that reverting to the Tri-Cities Blackhawks (representing Moline and Rock Island, IL and Davenport, IA) wouldn't be all that lucrative. Though I will say it would be cool to bring back the Ft. Wayne Pistons and their awesome logo:

There was a lot of speculation when the Maloofs owned the Rockets about them moving to Albuquerque. George Sr was a huge basketball fan, and it was his dream to bring a franchise to Alb. some day. The two brothers who run the Kings have been given the team to stay out of the families "real" businesses. I wouldn't be surprised if the move to Albuquerque isn't being discussed.

The NBA is increasingly becoming a coastal sport. Your location means everything. Players won't want to go to Cincinnati.

Teams like Oklahoma City and San Antonio have a nice thing going, but they will be in for a world of hurt should they ever misfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    They are trying to get one here in Louisville, and for the love of all thats Holy I hope they do not. I loved the NBA when I was a teen and even a little into my 20's, but I really would rather have minor league hockey than the NBA now. Just don't care. I'm not sure its a sport that stays with you as you get older, but maybe thats just me.
    My biggest problem, and I hate to generalize, because I know that there are many good, supportive fans, is that the NBA seems to attract the worst kind of fandom (in my opinion).

I hate the notion of a "player fan" over a "team fan." Maybe someone can explain this to me. I just don't understand. It seems like there are a lot of these type of fans in the NBA. I have talked to numerous people here in Ohio, heat supporters, who moved on to the Heat from the Cavs because of LeBron James.

"I wasn't a fan until he got there, and I only liked them because LeBron was on the team."

Plus, many people just don't have an understanding of the fundamentals of the game. I think many baseball fans can appreciate some of the finer arts, but the NBA crowd would rather just see the slam dunks and fancy stuff.

I hate the notion of a "player fan" over a "team fan." Maybe someone can explain this to me. I just don't understand. It seems like there are a lot of these type of fans in the NBA. I have talked to numerous people here in Ohio, heat supporters, who moved on to the Heat from the Cavs because of LeBron James.

"I wasn't a fan until he got there, and I only liked them because LeBron was on the team."
    I can somewhat understand it.

Many in Indiana became Celtic fans because of Larry Bird, then jumped on the Pacer's bandwagon once they became a power in the mid-to-late 1990s.

Likewise, Michiganders, particularly Michigan State fans, rooted for Magic Johnson's Lakers back in the day, which made it very interesting during the Pistons/Lakers finals matchups in 88/89.

Finally, most Bulls fans in the 90s--outside of Illinois--were Michael Jordan bandwagonjumpers, particularly in Jordan's home state of North Carolina. I suspect many have jumped back on the bandwagon due to their recent rise in power. And, they will claim to have always been Bulls fans.

Thanks to Lebron's Dog and Pony Show, I can't for the life of me understand why any Cavs fan can root for the Heat.

Using a baseball example--not that it anyway compares with the Lebron saga-- IIRC, Pete Rose's free agent departure to Philly didn't cause a mass exodus of Reds fans . MLB fans are much more likely to pick a team to root for and not change allegiance.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Well I was one of those "Jordan era" Bulls fans, and I will happily claim that I've remained a fan ever since. Of course, during many of the down years, there wasn't as much reason to watch (which was less often due to the loss in overall popularity and the reduced number of times they were on WGN), but I always followed/watched when I could. Of course I was 10 or so at the time, so I'm not sure if I was a bandwagoner or just a kid that fell in love w/ the most exciting player the league had to offer at the time. It also didn't hurt that John Paxon is from my hometown and took me down into the locker room at the old stadium once as a kid, cementing my fandom for life.

anyhoo, I think you overblow things a bit on the "fan of the individual" vs "fan of the team" idea in relation to other sports, but there is no doubt is more fashionable in basketball. Likely, its because an individually great player has more influence on the success/failure of a team than in baseball or football. A QB can't complete a pass w/o a lineman to block for him, a pitcher can't win w/o an offense to score for him.

Take LeBron off the Heat and put him on any other NBA team, and that team's got a shot to make the playoffs next year. You can't say that about football or baseball. Addtionally, basketball stars move around more than football stars. Football stars are often tied down by the franchise tag. Think Manning is ever leaving town, or Tom Brady? Not until they're washed up, if at all. In baseball, any small market fan has resigned themselves that their young star player is eventually going to head off to the Yankees or Sox or someother place we can't afford, teams we're aligned to hate for having the ability to have such higher payrolls, so when our favorite players move to one of those spots they're now "dead to us" They Ken Griffey Jr types are pretty rare, guys who take significantly less money despite being an all world type talent, and there were a lot of Junior fans who were neither Seattle, nor Cincy fans in baseball, just enjoyed watching him at the plate and in CF during his prime.

Cincinnati is better off without NBA basketball. If they were to add another major league sport, they'd probably be better off with an MLS team. I just don't see Southwest Ohio/NKY flocking to the "me-first" brand of basketball that the NBA has created.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Cincinnati is better off without NBA basketball. If they were to add another major league sport, they'd probably be better off with an MLS team. I just don't see Southwest Ohio/NKY flocking to the "me-first" brand of basketball that the NBA has created.
    Yeah because Ohio State football isn't me first or anything.

Or Kentucky basketball.

Turn Off Ads?