Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Cincinnati has no NBA team because..

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • It didn't work with the Royals

5 10.42%
  • There aren't any known investors

4 8.33%
  • Inadequate Arena

12 25.00%
  • No fan interest

29 60.42%
  • Economy/Not enough people

23 47.92%
  • Yes! Cincy should get an NBA franchise

3 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The reason why Cincinnati has no NBA team

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: The reason why Cincinnati has no NBA team

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yeah because Ohio State football isn't me first or anything.

Or Kentucky basketball.
    While I don't disagree, they're both colleges which means they have a certain built-in fanbase (alums + students) as well as a long tradition in their respective areas. People are born and raised as OSU or UK fans. An NBA team coming in wouldn't have that.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

While Louisville does deserve some form of professional sport, basketball doesn't seem like the on to be going after. Cincinnati and Louisville just aren't basketball cities. Baseball, actually, seems like their best bet to me; the absurdly high attendance rate for the Dragons and Bats proves that being that close to Cincinnati doesn't result in a lack of interest, and it already has a reputation as a family-friendly baseball city with the Louisville Slugger museum. Small TV market, but they have the entire state to promote to. Plus, it would be an awesome rivalry with our Reds!

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    While Louisville does deserve some form of professional sport, basketball doesn't seem like the on to be going after. Cincinnati and Louisville just aren't basketball cities. Baseball, actually, seems like their best bet to me; the absurdly high attendance rate for the Dragons and Bats proves that being that close to Cincinnati doesn't result in a lack of interest, and it already has a reputation as a family-friendly baseball city with the Louisville Slugger museum. Small TV market, but they have the entire state to promote to. Plus, it would be an awesome rivalry with our Reds!
    That would probably work, except it would take away fan support, and ultimately money, from the Reds.

Look at Baltimore with the Orioles. When the Nationals moved in, Peter Angelos was up in arms because he considered Baltimore/Washington a single media market. It caused such a stir that the Orioles now hold the broadcasting rights to the Nationals games as part of the agreement to move to Washington.

The only reason basketball could possibly work is because both Louisville and Kentucky are college basketball crazy and Louisville/Lexington have the media markets to make it work. The question is whether or not the people in Kentucky would support a NBA franchise. Most UK fans could care less about the NBA, they only follow to see how the former Cats are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The NBA may have to contact 2-6 teams, so that's one reason why Cincinnati doesn't have an NBA team. Like others have mentioned Cincinnati is way way way down the list of possible places the NBA might land if a franchise was to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    While I don't disagree, they're both colleges which means they have a certain built-in fanbase (alums + students) as well as a long tradition in their respective areas. People are born and raised as OSU or UK fans. An NBA team coming in wouldn't have that.
    I don't think the NBA in Cincinnati is a good idea. I just don't think it has to do with an attitude.

Turn Off Ads?