Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: 4/17- Reds vs. Pirates, Day 3 with no BP

Re: 4/17- Reds vs. Pirates, Day 3 with no BP

Starting pitchers with 3 years service time don't just get sent to the minors. It's kind of like pulling a shortstop for a defensive replacement.

Volquez is coming off of a surgery season and a shortened spring training. I'm guessing the Reds are looking at him differently than those who want him to go to Louisville.
    Last edited by jojo; 04-18-2011 at 05:12 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Nonsense. That 4 run 1st killed us.
    It didn't help us obviously. But we overcame that deficit and had the lead. New ballgame. Our pitching and miscues, as well as some bad luck, cost us this game in the latter innings. We had multiple opportunities late to win this game and didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I sometimes wonder if Edinson has pictures of RedsZoners that makes them so loyal.
    We wonder of some don't have a pic of him up on their dart boards.

It has nothing to do with some sort of "blind loyalty" to Volquez. People are "defending" EV, while not denying his 1st inning struggles, against some who seem, by their comments, to hold an unfair bias against him, look for anything they can, and seem to "strain at a gnat" at everything he does (or doesn't) do. Send him to the minors???

It's simply too early in the "ballgame", with all this doom and gloom, to be doing this IMO. But this is typical of RZ in so many ways. 15 games into the season, we're 9-6 and in 1st place, and the world is coming to an end.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-18-2011 at 05:44 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

I may be wrong, but while we are going with the other opinion, it's cost us a game or two and will cost us more. I am not an advocate of sending him to AAA, but he does need help and once Cueto and Bailey get back, maybe the instruction needs to be away from starting for awhile.

I agree with you. This loss was totally on Volquez. If he doesn't turn it around before Ceuto and Bailey come back then he either has to go to AAA,if he has options or to the bullpen to try to straighten himself out. You can't continue to give up three or four runs in the first inning everytime out.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Volquez, like Masset, is the type of pitcher that drives me crazy. They pitch without confidence, which translates to nibbling and lots of deep counts. They seemingly are trying to miss the bat with each and every pitch early in the count rather than trusting that movement and location will either cause misses or poor contact. The age-old pitching issue of trying to be too fine.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Holy anomaly, batman! The Pirates first 2 weeks are 6-3 on the road, 1-5 at home, a complete flip from their recent history.

Also, I think they are still destined for 5th place, maybe 4th if the Cubs tank over the long haul, but the Pirates lefty heavy offense is likely to be problematic for our staff all season.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?