Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jose Bautista at an average of $13 million a year

Jose Bautista at an average of $13 million a year

For this: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...autijo02.shtml the Blue Jays have signed Bautista to a 5 year $64 million extension. At 30 years old after stops with five major league organizations and one good season, Bautista has apparently "earned" this.

I imagine that Blue Jays fans have to be thrilled now that Vernon Wells' contract is gone and management can be smart about how they spend money. I don't know, I think I would have waited until after this season just to see if 2010 was a fluke.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jose Bautista at an average of $13 million a year

Yea, I think I would have wanted a little more evidence that he was for real.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I'll never understand moves this like. Is the guy going to get better? Why lock yourself in to a deal when the guy is at the absolute peak of his value?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Especially after just finding a sucker to take the Wells contract. They need to save money to chase Votto in 3 years, you know he wants to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Especially after just finding a sucker to take the Wells contract. They need to save money to chase Votto in 3 years, you know he wants to go there.
    Well as much as a lot of us thought the Wells move set them up at a run at Votto, maybe this cancels that out. One less team for the reds to contend with?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

But he's clean! He said so in interviews!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'll never understand moves this like. Is the guy going to get better? Why lock yourself in to a deal when the guy is at the absolute peak of his value?
    Which is potentially what the Reds did with Arroyo and Votto.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Time for him to get off the juice and sit back and relax.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I imagine that Blue Jays fans have to be thrilled now that Vernon Wells' contract is gone and management can be smart about how they spend money. I don't know, I think I would have waited until after this season just to see if 2010 was a fluke.
    Of course, if you wait and he repeats, you're never going to get him for $13M/year. I think that's a good contract, the uncertainty seems accounted for. After all, it's the same amount we're paying for Arroyo. I don't think the guy's going to hit 54 HRs ever again in his career, but even if he only averages 30 home runs, I'd rather have that in LF than Arroyo on the mound.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    He repeats his year (or anything close) and you will see his "absolute peak value" take a huge upward jump like a rocket. He might then be a $20m player.

$13M could be a huge steal, but if he regresses into the .850 OPS range, it's still an OK deal.

Call it the "Brady Anderson" effect.

This can also be used as an example whenever one needs it to support the stupidity that resides in professional sports franchise front offices. I am usually first in line to give management the benefit of the doubt, but the Jays front office is on their own here.
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-20-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

He grows a sweet beard.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I still can't get past him being a below-average utility infielder for the Pirates.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I still can't get past him being a below-average utility infielder for the Pirates.
    He just had to embrace the aggressive hitting style taught by the Jays hitting coach. That's all there was to it.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Which is potentially what the Reds did with Arroyo and Votto.
    It was a little different. Arroyo has been consistent for a while, not just one season that jumps off the page and whole bunch of other mediocre seasons.

Votto's contract was a raise in good faith that he'll remember he was treated right when he's heading for free agency in a short amount of time. Also, Votto is only 27 this year and is coming off an MVP season--possibly still building to his peak while Mr. Bautista is already older than that and has probably reached his peak.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?