Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should the Mariners Trade King Felix?

Should the Mariners Trade King Felix?

It appears to me that the Seattle Mariners are likely the worst team in MLB this year. And given their age, it's not likely to turn around anytime soon. Looking at their starting 8 the only up and comer is Justin Smoak who also happens to be the only starter who's under 25 years old. If you up and down their lineup, every other player is on the downside of his career with the possible exception of Gutierrez and Ryan who you might, on a good day, say are in their prime. By any standard 6 of the starting nine have declining skills. Guiterrez hasn't even played this year and with him out the M's have 29 yr old Brendan Ryan, joining Smoak as the only starters under 30. The pitching staff is a little better with a talented up and comer in Michael Pineda, but not much after him. The attendance at Safeco has never been worse.

So should the M's shop Felix Hernandez and try to get a haul from which to rebuild? I'm thinking they have to. They aren't winning much even when Felix does pitch and they need to try to get several impact players to dig themselves out of this hole.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Should the Mariners Trade King Felix?

I would give them Alonso, Leake, Frazier, and Heisey and their choice of Mesoraco or Grandal for him and not look back.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I really wasn't thinking about a possible Reds trade due to $$ but I do think the M's should be considering a trade for another organizations top 4 minor league prospects or something along those lines. I was really looking at from their prospective rather than as a Reds fan

No. They've got good crop of young players and the financial resources to augment them. Their situation isn't nearly as dire as casual observers suggest when trade king Felix threads pop up.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree with Jojo. They're obviously going to have a bad season (maybe 2 or 3) but that's what happens in a transition period. Felix is young enough to carry over until the help arrives and still be able to move them forward. They don't have a top 1 or 2 farm system...but it's not exactly chopped liver either. Give them a year or two and they'll be competitive yet again.

That being said, if they DO shop him....they've got to get one solid arm back in the deal AND several players who can help them within a year or so. I don't see the Reds being in this picture. His contract is just too big and will only get bigger based on his skills.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

What would you guys give up from our current team to acquire him? What would get it done?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    What would you guys give up from our current team to acquire him? What would get it done?
    I don't think they'd be too interested in anyone on the current team (meaning 25-man roster.)

It would most certainly have to be mostly guys in Triple-A or in A-Ball.

With the depth that we have, I would have no problem with giving up something along the lines of Leake/Wood, two (or maybe even 3) of Francisco, Frazier, Alonso, Sappelt, Grandal and either LeCure or Maloney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    I'm sure we've got the prospects to get a deal done, but the problem isn't satisfying the M's part, but rather the Reds taking on that much salary. 5 year deal at 108 million. I simply don't see the Reds even remotely in the ballpark for that one.

I would give them Leake but that would be a "steal" of a trade.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I would give them Leake but that would be a "steal" of a trade.
    Someone had to.....
    Last edited by CarolinaRedleg; 04-19-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: nm

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Someone had to.....
    No they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    No they didn't.
    Indeed. Getting old....FAST.

I think they should, but they're not going to.

Unless theyre getting a Votto type player as part of the package whats the point? He's 25 and won a cy young you can count those types of pitchers on one hand. The PR hit alone is not worth whatever package theyd get short of superstar for superstar type deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

It would break the spirit of even the best Mariners fan, no way they should do it. They should spring for Fielder next year and leave the Bradley legacy in the dust.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Turn Off Ads?