Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 63

Thread: Jose Reyes countdown

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    250

    Jose Reyes countdown

    He will be a Red by July 31. He fits perfect into our lineup. The Mets are awful and he is in the last year of his deal, they won't resign him for the 100 million +.

    What do we need to give the Mets for a rental player like Reyes?

    I'm thinking LeCure as he is auditioning right now. Perhaps a Heisey/Gomes. That would make room for Sappelt to come up next year. I personally love Heisey but it just doesn't seem like there is room here for him between Bruce, Stubbs, Gomes, Sappelt, and Alfonso now learning OF.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member SidneySlicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    616

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    He will be a Red by July 31. He fits perfect into our lineup. The Mets are awful and he is in the last year of his deal, they won't resign him for the 100 million +.

    What do we need to give the Mets for a rental player like Reyes?

    I'm thinking LeCure as he is auditioning right now. Perhaps a Heisey/Gomes. That would make room for Sappelt to come up next year. I personally love Heisey but it just doesn't seem like there is room here for him between Bruce, Stubbs, Gomes, Sappelt, and Alfonso now learning OF.
    Meh. The Reds have the most runs scored in baseball and it's not even close really. What the Reds need to work out right now is thier pitching. Nobody on their staff has been giving quality starts, and that has to and in my opinion will change. I'm stilling looking for a #1 gun though if I can get one.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Never happen....

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    348

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    That might be one of the worst trade ideas ever. Without naming any players, just the idea of the trade would be for not. We need an ace and we need one fast. I think someone like a Brett Myers would do wonders for our pitching staff. If they are shopping him in Houston, we need to be all over that one.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    That might be one of the worst trade ideas ever. Without naming any players, just the idea of the trade would be for not. We need an ace and we need one fast. I think someone like a Brett Myers would do wonders for our pitching staff. If they are shopping him in Houston, we need to be all over that one.
    A) Meyers is no ACE and not better then what we have on the roster
    B) There are very few "aces" in the game today and obtaining one is near impossible and would result in the loss of a Bruce or a Stubbs in addition to some minor league talent.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    250

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    I don't make this stuff up out of nowhere.

    Cincinnati - The Reds are going with Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria to fill out their shortstop position, but they've looked for a leadoff hitter and a more concrete solution at short in the past. Reyes could fill both of those roles on a short-term basis in 2011 as they look to defend the NL Central title.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ose-reyes.html

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    I don't make this stuff up out of nowhere.



    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ose-reyes.html
    Well if it's on that web site it's a done deal...

    There is no way they bring this rental in because that is all he would be.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    That might be one of the worst trade ideas ever. Without naming any players, just the idea of the trade would be for not. We need an ace and we need one fast. I think someone like a Brett Myers would do wonders for our pitching staff. If they are shopping him in Houston, we need to be all over that one.
    Myers is a bad guy (AKA wife beater), no thanks.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wheelersburg, Ohio
    Posts
    929

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Although I'm not sure I'm in favor of that move - it would not surprise me to see this happen. Reyes' name has been linked with the Reds in various rumors even dating back to last season.

    Right now its a bit premature to think about and if the Reds are where we hope they will be in July and the same for the Mets, nothing would surprise me.

    I'm with the earlier notion of trying to get the pitching straightened out however - of course maybe that happens with Cueto and Bailey.

  11. #10
    real baseball - No DH
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    63

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Rent-a-players always cost more than they are worth. And if The Reds are going to spend money on a player that is going to be here multiple seasons, it should be somebody with an ERA under 3.5, not a guy who comes into an already good offense.

    "Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    250

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    Rent-a-players always cost more than they are worth. And if The Reds are going to spend money on a player that is going to be here multiple seasons, it should be somebody with an ERA under 3.5, not a guy who comes into an already good offense.
    Bronson, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Cueto, Bailey, Maloney, LeCure

    Where is a new SP going to fit in? Remember the playoffs last year, it wasn't our pitching that sucked. We have scored 99 runs this year. 35 of those came in 3 games. We got shut down by Charlie Morton and Kevin Correia, the O needs help. Votto needs real protection, Rolen is a great asset to our team but not a cleanup hitter.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill NC
    Posts
    3,281

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    I dont see it either.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

  14. #13
    Member SidneySlicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    616

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    Bronson, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Cueto, Bailey, Maloney, LeCure

    Where is a new SP going to fit in? Remember the playoffs last year, it wasn't our pitching that sucked. We have scored 99 runs this year. 35 of those came in 3 games. We got shut down by Charlie Morton and Kevin Correia, the O needs help. Votto needs real protection, Rolen is a great asset to our team but not a cleanup hitter.

    You don't not search for a #1 pitcher because of a logjam of middle to bottom of the rotation pitchers. If there are too many you move one or two. I would think, though I'm not sure, that Leake and Maloney definitely have options available. As for the current state of our pitchers.

    Bronson obviously has a spot. Old reliable.

    Wood has earned a spot in the rotation and though he didn't pitch well the last night I expect him to rebound next time out.

    Chapman is in the pen for at least this year and may never be a starter.
    To be honest I think he's destined for a career out of the pen. I'm just not sure he has the control or the mental edge to be a starter. That being said what's wrong with having a guy to groom as a closer who can throw 106mph coming out of the bullpen? Why force him into a starters role?

    Leake aside from his current legal issues. His post all star era last year was 6.91 and batters hit .352 off of him. This year he's got an era of 5.40 so far. Listen I was with everyone else at the begining of last year as blown away by Leake, but lets face it. Since the all star break of last year, he's been downright terrible. I'm not sold on him as a longterm or even a short term solution until he puts together 3 or 4 solid performances.

    Cueto and Bailey have spots right now, but who knows what state of health their arms are in right now. That being said are either of them really a #1 pitcher?

    Lecure has been solid and if the others can't get it done he's earned a spot in the rotation in my opinion though it's a nice luxury to have him as a long reliever.
    Maloney- I think he has a chance to be a decent to go pitcher, but I'm not sold that he's a top of the rotation pitcher.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 04-20-2011 at 01:52 PM.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    89

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Reyes could help the team. I would be for trading some prospects to get him.

  16. #15
    Member SidneySlicker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    616

    Re: Jose Reyes countdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Parliament View Post
    Reyes could help the team. I would be for trading some prospects to get him.
    I don't doubt he could "help" this team, but thier time and resources shouldn't be focused on improving an offense that has scored 8 more runs than the next closest team in major league baseball. They need to get thier pitching right, or fix it. It's a long season people will get right and settle in place.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25