Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jose Reyes countdown

Jose Reyes countdown

He will be a Red by July 31. He fits perfect into our lineup. The Mets are awful and he is in the last year of his deal, they won't resign him for the 100 million +.

What do we need to give the Mets for a rental player like Reyes?

I'm thinking LeCure as he is auditioning right now. Perhaps a Heisey/Gomes. That would make room for Sappelt to come up next year. I personally love Heisey but it just doesn't seem like there is room here for him between Bruce, Stubbs, Gomes, Sappelt, and Alfonso now learning OF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jose Reyes countdown

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    He will be a Red by July 31. He fits perfect into our lineup. The Mets are awful and he is in the last year of his deal, they won't resign him for the 100 million +.

What do we need to give the Mets for a rental player like Reyes?

I'm thinking LeCure as he is auditioning right now. Perhaps a Heisey/Gomes. That would make room for Sappelt to come up next year. I personally love Heisey but it just doesn't seem like there is room here for him between Bruce, Stubbs, Gomes, Sappelt, and Alfonso now learning OF.
    Meh. The Reds have the most runs scored in baseball and it's not even close really. What the Reds need to work out right now is thier pitching. Nobody on their staff has been giving quality starts, and that has to and in my opinion will change. I'm stilling looking for a #1 gun though if I can get one.

Never happen....

That might be one of the worst trade ideas ever. Without naming any players, just the idea of the trade would be for not. We need an ace and we need one fast. I think someone like a Brett Myers would do wonders for our pitching staff. If they are shopping him in Houston, we need to be all over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    That might be one of the worst trade ideas ever. Without naming any players, just the idea of the trade would be for not. We need an ace and we need one fast. I think someone like a Brett Myers would do wonders for our pitching staff. If they are shopping him in Houston, we need to be all over that one.
    A) Meyers is no ACE and not better then what we have on the roster
    B) There are very few "aces" in the game today and obtaining one is near impossible and would result in the loss of a Bruce or a Stubbs in addition to some minor league talent.

I don't make this stuff up out of nowhere.

Cincinnati - The Reds are going with Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria to fill out their shortstop position, but they've looked for a leadoff hitter and a more concrete solution at short in the past. Reyes could fill both of those roles on a short-term basis in 2011 as they look to defend the NL Central title.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ose-reyes.html

I don't make this stuff up out of nowhere.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...ose-reyes.html
    Well if it's on that web site it's a done deal...

There is no way they bring this rental in because that is all he would be.

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    Myers is a bad guy (AKA wife beater), no thanks.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Although I'm not sure I'm in favor of that move - it would not surprise me to see this happen. Reyes' name has been linked with the Reds in various rumors even dating back to last season.

Right now its a bit premature to think about and if the Reds are where we hope they will be in July and the same for the Mets, nothing would surprise me.

I'm with the earlier notion of trying to get the pitching straightened out however - of course maybe that happens with Cueto and Bailey.

real baseball - No DH

Rent-a-players always cost more than they are worth. And if The Reds are going to spend money on a player that is going to be here multiple seasons, it should be somebody with an ERA under 3.5, not a guy who comes into an already good offense.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rhymon View Post
    Rent-a-players always cost more than they are worth. And if The Reds are going to spend money on a player that is going to be here multiple seasons, it should be somebody with an ERA under 3.5, not a guy who comes into an already good offense.
    Bronson, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Cueto, Bailey, Maloney, LeCure

Where is a new SP going to fit in? Remember the playoffs last year, it wasn't our pitching that sucked. We have scored 99 runs this year. 35 of those came in 3 games. We got shut down by Charlie Morton and Kevin Correia, the O needs help. Votto needs real protection, Rolen is a great asset to our team but not a cleanup hitter.

I dont see it either.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Bronson, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Cueto, Bailey, Maloney, LeCure

Where is a new SP going to fit in? Remember the playoffs last year, it wasn't our pitching that sucked. We have scored 99 runs this year. 35 of those came in 3 games. We got shut down by Charlie Morton and Kevin Correia, the O needs help. Votto needs real protection, Rolen is a great asset to our team but not a cleanup hitter.

You don't not search for a #1 pitcher because of a logjam of middle to bottom of the rotation pitchers. If there are too many you move one or two. I would think, though I'm not sure, that Leake and Maloney definitely have options available. As for the current state of our pitchers.

Bronson obviously has a spot. Old reliable.

Wood has earned a spot in the rotation and though he didn't pitch well the last night I expect him to rebound next time out.

Chapman is in the pen for at least this year and may never be a starter.
    To be honest I think he's destined for a career out of the pen. I'm just not sure he has the control or the mental edge to be a starter. That being said what's wrong with having a guy to groom as a closer who can throw 106mph coming out of the bullpen? Why force him into a starters role?

Leake aside from his current legal issues. His post all star era last year was 6.91 and batters hit .352 off of him. This year he's got an era of 5.40 so far. Listen I was with everyone else at the begining of last year as blown away by Leake, but lets face it. Since the all star break of last year, he's been downright terrible. I'm not sold on him as a longterm or even a short term solution until he puts together 3 or 4 solid performances.

Cueto and Bailey have spots right now, but who knows what state of health their arms are in right now. That being said are either of them really a #1 pitcher?

Lecure has been solid and if the others can't get it done he's earned a spot in the rotation in my opinion though it's a nice luxury to have him as a long reliever.
    Maloney- I think he has a chance to be a decent to go pitcher, but I'm not sold that he's a top of the rotation pitcher.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 04-20-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Reyes could help the team. I would be for trading some prospects to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Parliament View Post
    Reyes could help the team. I would be for trading some prospects to get him.
    I don't doubt he could "help" this team, but thier time and resources shouldn't be focused on improving an offense that has scored 8 more runs than the next closest team in major league baseball. They need to get thier pitching right, or fix it. It's a long season people will get right and settle in place.

Turn Off Ads?