Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16566263646566

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Stat geek...and proud

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

College basketball, unless it's the tournament, and you can't really do it then, belongs on campus whenever possible. Who wants to go see Indiana and Kentucky in cavernous, horrible for basketball Lucas Oil Stadium anyway? (or the Hoosier Dome before that)

I always thought the neutral court thing was stupid.

They can say what they want publicly, but in reality I believe that Crean and Cal just don't want to play each other.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll see them play again until one of those coaches move on. And it's a shame, but that's ok, we've still got the Indiana-Kentucky All Star games, and that's one series that we Hoosiers will always have the upper hand in.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 05-09-2012 at 03:48 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    UK also had a longstanding series with Notre Dame back then, when the Irish were strong. We played home-and-home series with Kansas when they were strong as well. UK has always scheduled this way. We have occasionally had home-and-home series over a period of years with programs such as Michigan State as well, and I'm talking since Izzo made them a top ten program. No other school has ever scheduled top programs on a regular basis at the rate UK has, and the numbers in this thread bear that out. I'm not suggesting we are above everyone else schedule-wise. My point is, we are being criticized because we are going to start scheduling the way everyone else always has.

I read somewhere awhile back that Duke has scheduled something like two games in the past twenty years on a ranked OOC opponent's court. I might have the numbers wrong, but it was something ridiculous like that. But of course, does the national media ever call out Coach K for it? We both know the answer to that. Just like nothing was made of the Corey Maggette scandal at Duke. Some coaches and programs are untouchable when it comes to media scrutiny. See the current academic fraud scandal at UNC for yet another example.

OK, I'm getting sidetracked -- my apologies. I do applaud IU for being second on that list I posted though. I just hope the UK/IU series is back on the schedule very soon. It's the best college basketball border rivalry in the country and no one else is even close.
    Yeah, I did look some of UK's schedule up and was quite impressed. I was amazed at how many Big Ten schools they scheduled in the early to mid 80's.

I dont even want to talk about Duke. I feel they make their schedule up every year just to get a #1 seed in the tournament.

I will take your IU comment there at the end as a compliment and concur on the rivalry, no one else is even close.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    UK went 12-3 vs. IU at neutral sites between 1991 and 2005.

Is that really cause for laughter for IU fans?

As I stated earlier numbers can be misleading. In those years IU had 2 great teams and 3 Top 25 caliber teams. And if I am not mistaken one of those wins by IU was when Damon Bailey was a senior and UK was ranked #1. IU had gotten beat by Butler the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    This is interesting:

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/05/08/2...#storylink=cpy

It will be interesting to see how they fill the void of the IU series. If it's against ho-hum opponents in neutral sites a-la Duke (St. John's, Valpo, Washington, Oregon, Iowa State, Temple), then bah-humbug.
    I enjoyed reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    As I stated earlier numbers can be misleading. In those years IU had 2 great teams and 3 Top 25 caliber teams. And if I am not mistaken one of those wins by IU was when Damon Bailey was a senior and UK was ranked #1. IU had gotten beat by Butler the week before.
    How is that misleading? If in fact 12-3 is the accurate record, then it is what it is. Black and white. IU is IU and UK is UK. UK beat IU. There's nothing misleading about that. That doesn't mean UK was great or IU was bad, it just means UK was better 12 of 15 times.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I think he means its misleading in terms of where the teams are now. The original charge was that Calipari was running scared, which would normally look preposterous considering UK won 80% of the games over the last 15 years.

I'm not saying that the running scared charge is right, there are a lot of things going into it, but UK is not as far ahead of IU right now as a 12-3 record would indicate.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    How is that misleading? If in fact 12-3 is the accurate record, then it is what it is. Black and white. IU is IU and UK is UK. UK beat IU. There's nothing misleading about that. That doesn't mean UK was great or IU was bad, it just means UK was better 12 of 15 times.
    There was a post about the Top 7 programs of all time. And there was another post about how UK and the other 6 stacked up against each other, record wise and how many times they had played amongst themselves. My point was about misleading is that IU wasnt a top notch program for all of those neutral court match-ups for 15 years. And IU was bad quite a few of those times.....and that is a fact. I aint making excuses, but simply saying that IU wasnt that good, and UK sure as hell didnt hang their hat on a lot of those victories. So to me the numbers are misleading. In the end, UK beat a Top 7 program that at the time wasnt even Top 27. If I am confusing you dont worry about it.......I am starting to confuse myself. But it was in no way a knock on UK's scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    There was a post about the Top 7 programs of all time. And there was another post about how UK and the other 6 stacked up against each other, record wise and how many times they had played amongst themselves. My point was about misleading is that IU wasnt a top notch program for all of those neutral court match-ups for 15 years. And IU was bad quite a few of those times.....and that is a fact. I aint making excuses, but simply saying that IU wasnt that good, and UK sure as hell didnt hang their hat on a lot of those victories. So to me the numbers are misleading. In the end, UK beat a Top 7 program that at the time wasnt even Top 27. If I am confusing you dont worry about it.......I am starting to confuse myself. But it was in no way a knock on UK's scheduling.
    Didn't the neutral court also extend into Kentucky's probation? If so, that kinda evens the playing field.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Didn't the neutral court also extend into Kentucky's probation? If so, that kinda evens the playing field.
    No, the neutral court series that is being talked about started the 91-92 season. The year UK got beat by Duke in the elite 8, and IU got beat by them in the FF.

However, there was a neutral site game 87-88 season at the Dome. They played at Kentucky in 88-89. They then played a neutral site game in 89-90. They played at Indiana in 90-91.

Turn Off Ads?