Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

You can always have a cold night and get beat by a hot-shooting team.

However, I really can't wait to see what they look like once Cal has them fully clicking in February/March.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Anthony Davis remind anyone else of Sam Bowie?
    For your sake, I hope he has better tibias.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I don't care one way or another-- my team is Western Kentucky University.

Unfortunately, no one wants to talk Topper basketball. (They lost to St. Joe's, but have a remarkably young team who struggled early on the way to coming back, then hitting the proverbial brick wall. But the youngsters look fairly talented, especially Vinny Zollo, who almost had a double-double in just a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If you're a UK fan (even if you're not), how do you defend this years team?
    In my experience, fans don't play very good defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Scrap's not a UK fan, he just graciously lends us his expert opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    In my experience, fans don't play very good defense.
    *Snort*

Defending Kentucky wouldn't be that hard.

Pressure Teague relentlessly, play the passing lanes, body Lamb, Miller, Davis and/or Wiltjer underneath and deny on the wing, allow Kidd-Gilchrist and Teague the open jumper, but deny Lamb and Miller.

Accomplishing that may prove difficult, but they're young, remember. Panic, poor shot selection, turnovers, and bad shooting nights are second-nature to many freshmen. Kansas might have enough horses tonight, in fact, to really pressure Teague and hope for a poor night shooting from Lamb and Miller.

LOL

28-28 at half.

I think Kentucky wins this game. Cal will be in their heads at halftime and UK is the more talented team. They just need to play more in control, especially Teague.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

This team is going to end up being scary good. Vitale is right, they will simply blow a lot of teams out.

UK moves to 20-6 all-time versus Kansas.

part of BBN

I had thought about putting this question out there after the Kansas game but didnt. Then I read an online article today and thought I would get some feedback. The article basically talks on the "3 Goggles" and Vitale's disdain for them the other night.
    Here's my thoughts. I enjoy the college game and think the players should be allowed to have fun. It always bothered me how the NFL guys who get paid...can do almost anything they want after a TD but college kids have to "watch" how they celebrate. As far as college basketball, I dont mind the 3 goggles at all. First it is clear, that KY isnt the only team that does it. Yes, even Vitale's Dukies have done it. Maybe Vitale gripes on the other games as well because I try to tune him out most of the time.
    I googled "3 goggles images" and scrolled thru 7 pages before I got an actual UK player doing this while the first 6 are filled with many other players doing this. So yes many players/teams do this. Because of that, I dont mind and think it is a good way for the kids to have fun on the court.
    There is one thing though that I was wanting to see if others view this like me. That is all this laughing that goes on. Seems like this just started a few years ago and has really taken off. That stuff bothers me more than Goggles-fist pump after a shot etc. Growing up, I never seen guys like Bird-Barkley-Ewing or any of them start laughing and grinning real big after shots. They just turned and ran down the floor. Again, most all teams like doing this now. Maybe others dont feel this way but here is the vibe it gives me : The other night, the first player I noticed was a Kansas player after one of their early dunks. My first impression was the guy was "saying"... 'these guys arent so tough' and I thought just wait buddy and you'll see how tough we are. Of course, later UK done it as well. Lamb seems to do it more than most with Teague appearing he will as well. It seems like that is more showing up than 3 goggles.
    That is one part of the game where I wish they would just turn and go play defense.
    I think UK and other teams that are good enough, can and should have a swagger. I feel the 3 Goggles adds a swagger and doesnt bother me. Chest bumping and fist pumping dont bother me as it really isnt directed at a certain player( most of the time)
    I just wish the players would skip the laughing/grinning after shots etc.
    Anyone else have ideas or thoughts on this from a UK perspective.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    This team is going to end up being scary good. Vitale is right, they will simply blow a lot of teams out.
    Yeah and the funny part was them talking of the UK-UNC game. One of them said on a neutral floor, he would favor UNC. Maybe but this team will only get better by seasons end. Not saying they are unbeatable because I am sure they will lose a few. But UK can be the "one to beat" by tourney time.

BTW...did anyone ever hear why KW didnt play much the other night. Injured ? in doghouse ? Just Cal not using him ? I never heard.
    Last edited by jmac; 11-17-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Yeah and the funny part was them talking of the UK-UNC game. One of them said on a neutral floor, he would favor UNC. Maybe but this team will only get better by seasons end. Not saying they are unbeatable because I am sure they will lose a few. But UK can be the "one to beat" by tourney time.

BTW...did anyone ever hear why KW didnt play much the other night. Injured ? in doghouse ? Just Cal not using him ? I never heard.
    Not heard anything offcially. But I suspect Wiltjer isn't very good at all defensively and Cal has said he's not aggressive enough inside. I think someone from Kansas beat him to the basket soon after he entered the game in the 1st half. He went straight back to the bench after that and didn't get back in until late in the game.

The 3 goggle bit doesn't bother me at all. I kinda like that and think its pretty good. The posing after a shot is what I don't like. Jones and quite a few others around do this. You don't need to flex your muscles or body after a made shot or dunk. Just get back on defense.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

UK started doing the three goggles last year, but they weren't the first team to start doing it. The Portland Trail Blazers are the ones who hold that distinction.

I don't think we need to give teams any more reason to hate us, but my problem with Dickie V is that he jumps UK for showboating but gushes over other players who do the same or are more obnoxious (Joakim Noah). As long as Terrence Jones doesn't start wearing a dress around campus and directing the marching band, I don't see any problems.

It's simple really if you're playing Kentucky, stop them from dunking and making webgem plays, and you won't see the showboating anymore. I grew up in Kentucky and there were some HS coaches who absolutely hated dunking. If somebody dunked on you, you took them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Enjoyed reading this...

The Kentucky Wildcats men's basketball team, representing the University of Kentucky, is the winningest in the history of college basketball, both in all-time wins and all-time winning percentage. Kentucky's all-time record currently stands at 2054–647 (.760). Kentucky also leads all schools in total NCAA tournament appearances with 51, is tied with North Carolina in NCAA tournament wins with 105, and ranks second to UCLA in NCAA championships with 7. In addition to these titles, Kentucky also has won the National Invitation Tournament in both 1946 and 1976. (Kentucky is the only school to win multiple NCAA and NIT titles.) The Wildcats have played in a record 51 NCAA tournaments, in a record 151 NCAA tournament games, have an NCAA record 42 Sweet-16 appearances, and an NCAA record 33 Elite-8 appearances. Further, Kentucky has played in 14 Final Fours (4th place all time), and has 10 NCAA championship game appearances (tied for second place all time with Duke), winning 7 NCAA championships (second only to UCLA all time). Kentucky is the only school with four different NCAA championship coaches (Rupp, Hall, Pitino, Smith).

Turn Off Ads?