Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Glad Scrap's prediction was wrong.

Always feels good to beat UNC. Could definitely see these two teams meeting again. I feel like our ceiling is much higher than theirs, however.

The fact that they went absolutely bonkers from 3 pt range and we still beat them is telling.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    The fact that they went absolutely bonkers from 3 pt range and we still beat them is telling.
    I could just as easily say the fact that UK only beat UNC by one at home when Harrison Barnes was in silly foul trouble is telling.

Roy has to find Hairston and Bullock more minutes.

Great game played at a very high level.

I don't have anything with UNC either way, but I kinda wonder if Zeller is the byproduct of unrealistic expectations. He followed one of the most successful big men to wear a UNC uniform in Tyler Hansbrough. Don't get me wrong, he is one of the best post players in the game, but I kinda wonder if its good enough for UNC fans.

I thought the game was called pretty fairly compared to last year in Chapel Hill, where UK had four players foul out. If anything, the refs let the players play. Kinda surprised me given Tony Greene was one of the officials.

What is really scary about UK right now is that this team offensively is still a work in progress. By midseason or into SEC play is when they start performing at peak level, the offense will be much better in sync and they will score more consistenly. Hopefully by then the perimeter defense will make improvements as well.

UK's biggest problem going forward is going to be offensive consistency and being tested in a true road game, which could happen next Saturday at Indiana. I'm anxious to see how the Cats do in a SEC road game with SEC home cooking. A performance like yesterday in either Gainesville, Nashville, or even Starkville will result in a loss.

As for UNC, they are the "experienced" team but they have yet to play like it at times. The last possession where everybody stood around and let the clock run out because they were "shocked" that Henson was blocked was pretty telling. Still, UNC has a pretty strong ACC slate to grow from between now and March.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I thought we were not aggressive at all in defending the 3 point shot. If a team gets on a streak like UNC did, that could be trouble down the road. Free throws also somewhat concerning but thought UK played well otherwise, especially being a very young team in a very anticipated game.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

This is great that it is really my only complaint with Cal teams....but why is it no team of his has ever been able to hit free throws consistently? Just devote a few minutes per practice to shoot FTs. Please?

I think he should hire Kyle Macy as free throw coach.

I'm very much looking forward to this game tomorrow. I think this matchup is one of the more underrated games in college basketball to this point in the season. The double-header of Kansas/Ohio State and Kentucky/Indiana is pure gold. Gold, Jerry. Gold.

For me, this game will tell us more about UK this year. Indiana is unranked, but I think they're one of the best 25 teams in the country at this point in the year despite not having beaten anyone of consequence. They're very balanced scoring the ball and have several perimeter shooters. Best of all, they don't rely on the jumper but try to get to the rim. They are thin inside, which is something I think Kentucky's length up front can exploit, but this is the biggest home game they've had in Bloomington in arguably many, many years. It will be absolutely jacked up.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

*double post
    Last edited by Brutus; 12-09-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: double
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't believe in bashing collegiate players, but I do wonder where Terrence Jones was at tonight. I've never seen a player look so lost in a game.

A lot of fans are already piling on him for this loss (among other things). I just wonder if there is something going on personal with TJ to have such a horrible game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

First off let me state that in no way, shape, or form did UK deserve to win that game. If we had somehow emerged with a W, I would have felt like we stole it from the Hoosiers.

Something has got to be up with T. Jones. He was not himself at all.

The officials made some real head scratchers, but that is only in line with our history at Assembly Hall. The travel on MGK was especially egregious. They also ignored a clear foul on Lamb in favor of Davis.

Overall, I hope this result will pay positive results for UK deep into March.

Congrats Hoosiers. Don't worry, I won't welch on MY bet.

I think this game was coach Cal's best coaching preformance at Kentucky. Jones was still in Lexington, Davis in foul trouble the whole game, down 10 points with 6 minutes to play and it still took a miracle 3 to beat us. A loss is a loss but to play N.C., Kansas, Indiana at home, and win 2 of those starting 3 freshman....i will take that.

This will focus the team. They were reading to many press clippings. They can't just show up and win. They learned something valuable today.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

First off let me state that in no way, shape, or form did UK deserve to win that game. If we had somehow emerged with a W, I would have felt like we stole it from the Hoosiers.

Something has got to be up with T. Jones. He was not himself at all.

The officials made some real head scratchers, but that is only in line with our history at Assembly Hall. The travel on MGK was especially egregious. They also ignored a clear foul on Lamb in favor of Davis.

Overall, I hope this result will pay positive results for UK deep into March.

Congrats Hoosiers. Don't worry, I won't welch on MY bet.
    Being perfectly honest, I thought IU had a few missed calls too that should've been called on UK. I thought overall, it was a pretty fair balance on the refereeing.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I think this game was coach Cal's best coaching preformance at Kentucky. Jones was still in Lexington, Davis in foul trouble the whole game, down 10 points with 6 minutes to play and it still took a miracle 3 to beat us. A loss is a loss but to play N.C., Kansas, Indiana at home, and win 2 of those starting 3 freshman....i will take that.

This will focus the team. They were reading to many press clippings. They can't just show up and win. They learned something valuable today.
    Well said. Plus the fact IU hit almost everything they threw up from 3 point range and it seemed every loose ball fell in their hands.
    If UK had just hit a free throw or two in the last minute, they would have scratched out a win anyway. (Davis 0-1, Lamb 1-2 )
    This team was going to lose a few so let's see how they bounce back. Go Cats !!

It was interesting to see IU fans rush the court acting like they won a national championship. Eh... maybe I am just bitter.

Don't like anyone rushing the court-- it's a recipe for disaster, as you've got 10,000 college kids geeked out about a win and 15 guys who just lost a tough game walking the other way. It's only a matter of time until someone gets truly hurt.

That said, there's a reason IU fans rushed the court yesterday. They haven't won anything more significant than that game in more than a generation.

Turn Off Ads?