Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Don't like anyone rushing the court-- it's a recipe for disaster, as you've got 10,000 college kids geeked out about a win and 15 guys who just lost a tough game walking the other way. It's only a matter of time until someone gets truly hurt.

That said, there's a reason IU fans rushed the court yesterday. They haven't won anything more significant than that game in more than a generation.
    A generation? Lol. Nice.

I agree with you on the rushing the court stuff. Players have been injured just not high enough profile players that would cause a knee jerk reaction.

Any school in America would have rushed the court in that situation. Being unranked and beating #1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    A generation? Lol. Nice.

I agree with you on the rushing the court stuff. Players have been injured just not high enough profile players that would cause a knee jerk reaction.

Any school in America would have rushed the court in that situation. Being unranked and beating #1.

People have been rushing the court for, what, four decades? There's certainly a risk of people being injured, and there have most definitely been injuries resulting from it before, but this has been going on so long it seems too PC to start making a big deal of it now.

I do think it is getting overplayed these days, but part of the reason for that is because so many more games are hyped up and televised than ever before.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Being perfectly honest, I thought IU had a few missed calls too that should've been called on UK. I thought overall, it was a pretty fair balance on the refereeing.
    I'm not going to complain about officiating, especially since the previous year UK shot 44 FT's compared to IU's 16 at Rupp. It did have an impact (especially in the first half), but that's to be expected on an opposing court.

I would kinda like to see the home and home series scrapped and go back to Louisville/Indianapolis. With UK looking to change up its schedule, I wouldn't be opposed to a four team invitational with UK, Louisville, Indiana, and Butler (possibly Notre Dame if Louisville leaves to the Big 12 later) and alternate the venues. I've always found the UK-IU series to be basketball's version of the Red River Rivalry or the World's Largest Cocktail Party, where you can get two equally passionate fanbases into one venue and the rivalry not lose any luster.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

A generation? Lol. Nice.

North Carolina and Kentucky wouldn't, I guarantee it.

IU should be above it as well. They have five freaking NCs... understandably most people rushing the floor last night weren't born yet when they won their last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    People have been rushing the court for, what, four decades? There's certainly a risk of people being injured, and there have most definitely been injuries resulting from it before, but this has been going on so long it seems too PC to start making a big deal of it now.

I do think it is getting overplayed these days, but part of the reason for that is because so many more games are hyped up and televised than ever before.
    If the game is in hand, then I don't have a problem with rushing the court. As soon as the game ended, my first reaction was that Kentucky needed to get off the court before somebody got hurt. Indiana won the game on a buzzerbeater and one of the players I noticed on the ground that had fallen was Darius Miller. With a herd of celebratory fans coming at you, you have to kinda worry about the players getting trampled by accident.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    North Carolina and Kentucky wouldn't, I guarantee it.

IU should be above it as well. They have five freaking NCs... understandably most people rushing the floor last night weren't born yet when they won their last one.
    Kansas didn't when they beat Ohio State.

Just sayin'.

UK, UNC, KU never lived through 6-20, 11-21, and 12-20. Not to mention Mike Davis... Although Matt Doherty and Billy Gillispie did their best.

Cut em some slack. I don't know why one fanbase would want to give another fanbase grief for having fun. It's not as if they burned couches.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

It's the first time IU had knocked off a #1 team in 9 years and it's their best start in 20 years. It's a pretty big deal. Rushing the court is fair game for any school in that sort of position. I'm pretty surprised people care that much and/or are that bitter.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 12-11-2011 at 11:40 PM.

It's the first time IU ahd knocked off a #1 team in 9 years and it's their best start in 20 years. It's a pretty big deal. Rushing the court is fair game for any school in that sort of position. I'm pretty surprised people care that much and/or are that bitter.
    It just seems like get off my lawn. Something for fans to complain about. Really never understood why it's such a big deal personally.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

It's the first time IU ahd knocked off a #1 team in 9 years and it's their best start in 20 years. It's a pretty big deal. Rushing the court is fair game for any school in that sort of position. I'm pretty surprised people care that much and/or are that bitter.
    9 years? That's a short generation.

"I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Not bitter at all. Just thinking about the players likely caught in the meelee.

Like I said, I had no problem with Indiana rushing the court, or even South Carolina a couple years ago. My only complaint though is that the game was very much in doubt until the final whistle when the ball left Watford's hands. One of the UK players was on the ground when the fans burst loose.

At the same time though, I really don't know how you handle it. Eventually though somebody WILL get hurt and then rushing the court will be forbidden throughout college basketball.

9 years? That's a short generation.

Sounds like sour grapes

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Not bitter at all. Just thinking about the players likely caught in the meelee.

Like I said, I had no problem with Indiana rushing the court, or even South Carolina a couple years ago. My only complaint though is that the game was very much in doubt until the final whistle when the ball left Watford's hands. One of the UK players was on the ground when the fans burst loose.

At the same time though, I really don't know how you handle it. Eventually though somebody WILL get hurt and then rushing the court will be forbidden throughout college basketball.
    I can definitely appreciate the safety concerns angle for sure, especially if a player was on the ground. I think that's a valid beef.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    First off let me state that in no way, shape, or form did UK deserve to win that game. If we had somehow emerged with a W, I would have felt like we stole it from the Hoosiers.

Something has got to be up with T. Jones. He was not himself at all.

The officials made some real head scratchers, but that is only in line with our history at Assembly Hall. The travel on MGK was especially egregious. They also ignored a clear foul on Lamb in favor of Davis.

Overall, I hope this result will pay positive results for UK deep into March.

Congrats Hoosiers. Don't worry, I won't welch on MY bet.
    Only thing wrong with Jones was that he didn't think he was getting the ball enough and started pouting. He was seen mouthing "get me the ball" at one point to Teague. If a player doesn't think he's getting the ball enough then you go get it by rebounding and hustling after loose balls. He did none of that. Jones had better grow up in a hurry or UK will not reach its potential this season. According to Cal over the summer we were told he had matured and was going to be the best player in the nation. By Saturdays actions he's a long way from that.

As far as IU rusing the court I expected if they won the game. IU had fallen to bottom of the barrel for three years or so. When you have big bump up like, they are having this season, and finally get a big win against a name team, rushing the court is going to happen. Congrats to them. They deserved the win. They out hustled UK most of the night and quite clearly wanted to win the game more.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Kansas didn't when they beat Ohio State.

Just sayin'.
    Kansas wasn't an unranked team coming off some miserable consecutive losing seasons. Let them go through what IU did and then see how they would have responded.

Turn Off Ads?