Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Well said. Plus the fact IU hit almost everything they threw up from 3 point range and it seemed every loose ball fell in their hands.
    If UK had just hit a free throw or two in the last minute, they would have scratched out a win anyway. (Davis 0-1, Lamb 1-2 )
    This team was going to lose a few so let's see how they bounce back. Go Cats !!
    IU was 9 for 15 from behind the line. That's good, but it's not unheard of. I know Sheehey in particular had the one which bounced in, out, and back in. But he had some good looks rattle out in the first half so it all evens out. Leave guys open and it tends to come back and bite you.

UK shot almost 70 percent in the second half. That's unreal. It really speaks to how good UK can be offensively if they get any threat from behind the arc to stretch out a defense.

Heard Calipari said last night something to the effect of "Teague did foul Verdell, it's the only foul they didn't call on us last night."

Considering Kentucky was in the double bonus while UK had four fouls called on them in the 2nd half, it seemed like an appropriately classy thing to say.

What was interesting to me was that going in, I really thought IU was going to have to play almost a perfect game. I thought that if they could hold off the turnovers, and do a good job with rebounds, and get the ball into Zeller they'd have a chance. It turns out they did one of the three and won.

But not to worry Kentucky. That's a good team. I don't think there are a lot of SEC schools who can keep up.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Im not mad about the outcome, IU deserved to win.

My bliod is still boiling at the postgame behavior though

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/039915...3784718&sr=8-1

First ive heard about this book...Love Wojo though

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm not going to complain about officiating, especially since the previous year UK shot 44 FT's compared to IU's 16 at Rupp. It did have an impact (especially in the first half), but that's to be expected on an opposing court.

I would kinda like to see the home and home series scrapped and go back to Louisville/Indianapolis. With UK looking to change up its schedule, I wouldn't be opposed to a four team invitational with UK, Louisville, Indiana, and Butler (possibly Notre Dame if Louisville leaves to the Big 12 later) and alternate the venues. I've always found the UK-IU series to be basketball's version of the Red River Rivalry or the World's Largest Cocktail Party, where you can get two equally passionate fanbases into one venue and the rivalry not lose any luster.
    If the pre-conference home schedule gets weaker, I will give up my season tickets. The price is crazy as it is. With the ticket price and with the required donation to the blue white fund I pay $195 for 2 tickets per home game. If they scrap the home and home series with North Carolina and Indiana and do not replace them with GOOD teams...I'm out. Its get old paying almost $200 bucks a game to see East Tennessee St, Samford, and Ohio University. All the games are on TV...in HD...I'll keep my 4K.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    If the pre-conference home schedule gets weaker, I will give up my season tickets. The price is crazy as it is. With the ticket price and with the required donation to the blue white fund I pay $195 for 2 tickets per home game. If they scrap the home and home series with North Carolina and Indiana and do not replace them with GOOD teams...I'm out. Its get old paying almost $200 bucks a game to see East Tennessee St, Samford, and Ohio University. All the games are on TV...in HD...I'll keep my 4K.
    From everything I've read, UNC is the likely candidate to be done away with. Next season UK is playing Duke in the Champions Classic and Maryland at the Barclays Center. Add in Louisville and UNC on the road plus a road game in the Big East (or whats left of it) and the schedule is out and out brutal for a team likely rebuilding next season.

The teams that have been floated around are Kansas, Arizona, Texas, and WVU. I'll take the first two.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Winning is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    I'm not a UK fan but I wouldn't blame you. The early season tournaments are fun and provide great match-ups, but college basketball should be played on college campuses. There's no way the UK/UNC or UK/IU games are nearly as fun if they were played at the United Center or an aircraft carrier. If everything is going the route of made-for-TV, fans might as well follow suit and watch everything on TV.

From everything I've read, UNC is the likely candidate to be done away with. Next season UK is playing Duke in the Champions Classic and Maryland at the Barclays Center. Add in Louisville and UNC on the road plus a road game in the Big East (or whats left of it) and the schedule is out and out brutal for a team likely rebuilding next season.

The teams that have been floated around are Kansas, Arizona, Texas, and WVU. I'll take the first two.
    Throw in Indiana too. It looks like they are back in the picture now. That is going to be a really tough schedule for a team that is going to lose a ton of talent after this season. Miller and Vargas are seniors. Likely to the NBA are Jones,Lamb,Davis and Gilchrist. If Teague comes along like most of us think he will be gone too. Even a top recruiting class will be hard to replicate that type of talent.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Throw in Indiana too. It looks like they are back in the picture now. That is going to be a really tough schedule for a team that is going to lose a ton of talent after this season. Miller and Vargas are seniors. Likely to the NBA are Jones,Lamb,Davis and Gilchrist. If Teague comes along like most of us think he will be gone too. Even a top recruiting class will be hard to replicate that type of talent.
    Indiana is the other way. The point is scheduling consistency. When we play the other teams, we have IU at home.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Figured I'd ask here since maybe you guys can help. I've never been inside Rupp Arena so I have no clue what it's like there...

I was looking to get my parents UK tickets for Christmas. On Stubhub lower level seats are pretty friggin expensive, so I was wondering if anyone has been and can tell me if the upper level seats are still a good place to watch the game? And I assume I should try to get seats in a row that's closer to A than to Z?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Figured I'd ask here since maybe you guys can help. I've never been inside Rupp Arena so I have no clue what it's like there...

I was looking to get my parents UK tickets for Christmas. On Stubhub lower level seats are pretty friggin expensive, so I was wondering if anyone has been and can tell me if the upper level seats are still a good place to watch the game? And I assume I should try to get seats in a row that's closer to A than to Z?
    The upper level are nosebleed. You almost have to bring binoculars in order to see anything.

Something you can try and I can't guarantee this will work, but UK supposedly puts the student section tickets to the holiday week games on sale an hour and a half before gametime. Samford, Loyola, and Lamar are your best bets. The tickets are relatively inexpensive ($5-$10) because the students are away for the holidays.

Awesome man, thanks for the info. I'll look into that deal, if I can't get em then I'll look for something else to get them for Christmas lol.

Ticketmaster was pretty much out of 2 tickets together for the games I checked out, and lower level tickets on Stubhub were all 100+ each, and a lot of them were well north of that.

You need to look up Kige Ramsey.

From everything I've read, UNC is the likely candidate to be done away with. Next season UK is playing Duke in the Champions Classic and Maryland at the Barclays Center. Add in Louisville and UNC on the road plus a road game in the Big East (or whats left of it) and the schedule is out and out brutal for a team likely rebuilding next season. The teams that have been floated around are Kansas, Arizona, Texas, and WVU. I'll take the first two.
    You bring up a good point my friend and I have been discussing lately. Year 1 , Cal gets a top freshman class and has success. Year 2 , he does it again. Year 3, he may have his best team yet.
    Yet, as we have said and you said, next season...Cal will experience something he hasnt had yet at UK. That is lack of experience.
    The first 3 years , he has had a few guys who could provide in some cases, quality minutes and in some case points as well.
    Ramon Harris, Perry Stevenson, Josh Harrelson, and the last 2 years....Darius Miller (not really counting his freshman year).
    Assuming Jones and Lamb leave, next season appears like UK will lack the experienced "Supporting cast" he has had the last 3 years.
    Jon Hood could supply it but the jury is still out on him. So yeah, despite another top-ranked (maybe) class coming in, I can certainly see a rebuilding type season. Still above average but lacking the Miller-Harrelson-Stevenson type on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    You bring up a good point my friend and I have been discussing lately. Year 1 , Cal gets a top freshman class and has success. Year 2 , he does it again. Year 3, he may have his best team yet.
    Yet, as we have said and you said, next season...Cal will experience something he hasnt had yet at UK. That is lack of experience.
    The first 3 years , he has had a few guys who could provide in some cases, quality minutes and in some case points as well.
    Ramon Harris, Perry Stevenson, Josh Harrelson, and the last 2 years....Darius Miller (not really counting his freshman year).
    Assuming Jones and Lamb leave, next season appears like UK will lack the experienced "Supporting cast" he has had the last 3 years.
    Jon Hood could supply it but the jury is still out on him. So yeah, despite another top-ranked (maybe) class coming in, I can certainly see a rebuilding type season. Still above average but lacking the Miller-Harrelson-Stevenson type on the bench.
    I'm not too worried about next year. We have plenty of rides to give and I look for college basketball as a whole to be down due to draft defections. The NBA coming back is going to hurt UK next year, but its going to hurt a lot of other teams who had players spooked into coming back (UNC, Baylor).

UK has Ryan Harrow running the point and being able to practice with this years team as a transfer. Add in the NBA lockout and who he's been able to pickup with and I feel really good about his contributions next season.

Wings will be fun to watch. Archie Goodwin is already in the fold and will likely play the MKG/Liggins role of Cal-coached teams in being able to play and defend three key positions. Alex Poythress is someone who will likely be the sharpshooter for this class with his ability to hit open three's. UK is very much in play for Shabazz Muhammad who has an intense motor similar to MKG.

Inside, well.... Kyle Wiltjer will likely be back and can play an inside out game at the center position. He won the three point shooting contest last year at the McDonalds All American game and has worked inside on developing a hookshot. Willie Cauley is a raw defensive type of project who reminds me a lot of Joey Dorsey. Won't give much offense but the defensive and rebounding presence is there.

Another name to keep an eye on: Khem Birch. Birch is looking into transferring from Pitt because he isn't happy playing center and one of the schools being mentioned is Kentucky. He is an athletic PF type prospect who would likely have to sit until January of 2013, so he would be available for the second half of the season.

In the end, Cal will get who he wants. I wouldn't be shocked if UK has a surprise player or two return next season. If I had to wager, it would be Doron Lamb. Lamb is one of the best players in college basketball, but is undersized for a SG at the NBA level. I think he would be a first rounder this year, but improving as a combo guard could get him sold as a PG to the NBA, especially running an offense with Muhammad, Goodwin, and Poythress at the wings.

Turn Off Ads?