Page 27 of 66 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

The next great UK big man....

Nerlens Noel - The Best Defensive Player in the Country - YouTube

Classified to 2012 yesterday.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's great news about Noel. If UK gets him and Muhammed they will no doubt have another number 1 recruiting class.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    So we beat Eww T at football, swept in men's bball, women's bball, badminton, bowling... anything else I'm forgetting?
    I'd chime in and say that the Lady Vols will kick your butt in a couple weeks but that'd mean that I give "hoot" about women's athletics. The fact that you obviously do is your problem

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'd chime in and say that the Lady Vols will kick your butt in a couple weeks but that'd mean that I give "hoot" about women's athletics. The fact that you obviously do is your problem
    You guys are the women's bball school, not us.

It's okay, I'd be a bit cantankerous now too if I was a Eww T fan.

The next great UK big man....

Nerlens Noel - The Best Defensive Player in the Country - YouTube

Classified to 2012 yesterday.
    Normally its hard to tell much from highlight videos, but he looks like a complete freak athletically. Plus it looked like he tries to dunk any and everything around the rim which is great for someone that big, he finished with both hands around the rim on back to the basket moves, and a decent # of his blocks were when he was guarding the man with the ball which is a lot harder to do and more valuable defensively than blocks when helping bc then hes not taking himself out of rebounding position when he left his man to contest/block the shot. I think Anthony Davis may have more blocks this year when he was the primary defender than just about any other guy I've ever seen in college.

Only nitpick, and this is the definition of nitpicking, is a guy like him should pretty much never ever try to take a charge, but it still shows that hes not afraid of contact, probably has a decent understanding of defensive positioning/ rotations, and is willing to do team oriented dirty work type things which is a massive plus for highly rated recruits that could have a bit of diva in them.

Useless rant, but he even used his left hand on a lot of the blocked shots vs right handed players, which was refreshing. Still blows my mind that a lot of guys still go up with their dominant hand no matter what to block a shot. If youre an on the ball defender vs a right handed shooter, use the left hand to block/contest. Reverse it for left handed shooters. Reach is at least one inch or more higher and its less distance for the defenders hand to travel so its quicker. When as help defender, it doesnt matter much.

TLDR CLIFFS:
    Freak Athletically
    I'm Sold
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 02-02-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

The block he makes at 2:10 is one of the best blocks I have ever seen, at any level.

That little guard was gonna bring the house down and Noel just blocked the hell out of him.

part of BBN

Just reading on another site regarding the "mass exodus" off this year's team after the season. We lose Miller (he has been a pleasure to watch mature) and Vargas.
    Out of the others...who does everyone think will leave early ?
    Myself, I can see Davis obviously and MKG.
    Jones probably. I can kind of see Lamb coming back and it would be in Teague's best interest to come back for another year. To me, the only one ready to step in and make an impact would be Davis and he would get banged around more than the last 2 games.
    Also, I was telling a buddy,the way Cal has got these guys playing unselfish and not for stats and having fun, if they suffered a Final Four loss or Championship loss, it wouldnt totally shock me if most of them said "hey ...let's go back and win it next year ! "

part of BBN

Here is an interview I read with Brandon Knight :

NEW YORK — Brandon Knight admits he wonders what it would be like to still be playing for Kentucky and getting the chance to lob alley-oop passes to freshman sensation Anthony Davis.

“Of course , of course, I would think about that,” Knight told SNY.tv before shooting 3-for-8 for nine points with one assist as the Detroit Pistons lost their sixth straight, 113-86, to the Knicks Tuesday at Madison Square Garden.

“They’re doing great this year so congratulations to them. I feel we’d be doing even better if I was there.”

While Knight’s old team is 22-1 and ranked No. 1 in the nation, his current team is 4-19 and owns the second-worst record in the NBA.

He has already lost more games in his rookie season with the Pistons than he did in his last two years — one at Kentucky and one at Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Pine Crest — combined.

“I mean, you just try to find a positive in everything,” Knight said. “You know that we’re a team that’s rebuilding so you just try to find a positive and not try to focus on losing. You don’t like losing. But through it all, as long as you’re taking strides to get better, which I see our team doing, I’m fine, as long as we’re pushing to become a different team.”

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Just reading on another site regarding the "mass exodus" off this year's team after the season. We lose Miller (he has been a pleasure to watch mature) and Vargas.
    Out of the others...who does everyone think will leave early ?
    Myself, I can see Davis obviously and MKG.
    Jones probably. I can kind of see Lamb coming back and it would be in Teague's best interest to come back for another year. To me, the only one ready to step in and make an impact would be Davis and he would get banged around more than the last 2 games.
    Also, I was telling a buddy,the way Cal has got these guys playing unselfish and not for stats and having fun, if they suffered a Final Four loss or Championship loss, it wouldnt totally shock me if most of them said "hey ...let's go back and win it next year ! "
    Too early to tell. This time last year everybody had Knight penciled in to come back. I think once SEC tournament time rolls around Teague will start turning some heads. Maybe not as highly regarded as Knight or Wall, but he could solidify his draft status and being tutored by Cal gives him a few more brownie points.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That's great news about Noel. If UK gets him and Muhammed they will no doubt have another number 1 recruiting class.
    From a reporter friend, it looks like both are very possible at this point.

Too, for what it's worth, my friend isn't all that sure whether Kidd-Gilchrist will go pro after this year. He's supposedly having the time of his life and, while he may go in the lottery, MKG wants top three.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Both Florida and Vandy have all the requirements to beat Kentucky, no matter where they might play.

1) Both teams have multiple players that can shoot from long distance. (Not just threes, but long threes.) This stretches the defense and allows for easier drives to the hoop, as the middle of the lane gets less clogged with well-balanced shooters. No UK opponent shoots better than Vandy-- or Florida, for that matter. Both have at least three guys on the court at all time that can shoot from 25 for a decent percentage.

2) Both teams have a tough rebounder and scorer underneath that can play physical. The best bet for other teams is still to rough up Davis. Both Florida and Vandy have that guy. They could very well negate Davis' numbers and perhaps get him in foul trouble. Kentucky is a completely different team without Davis-- they are inherently beatable.

3. Both play tight defense, daring you to drive, then play very good help defense in taking charges. Both Donovan and Stalllings like charges, chart them, and focus on them. (Unlike Kentucky, who looks for blocks.) This may get four or give Kentucky players in foul trouble.

IMO, Kentucky is likely to lose at least one more game, perhaps three. (Mississippi State also looks like a team that could beat UK.)
    IMO, it comes down to coaching, but I'll look at both teams individually:

Florida: The Gators have a tendency to fall in love with the three. They have players that can slash and I think Bradley Beal and Kenny Boynton would give Kentucky problems, but if given an option, Florida will opt for three's over slashing and pounding it inside. Florida did this in the SEC championship game and Kentucky dominated the entire game by just running their offense and selecting the opportunities.

Vanderbilt: Vandy is the opposite of Florida. If you put defenders on the outside and lock down the perimeter, it forces Vandy to beat you with Festus Ezeli. Harrellson neutralized him last year, and if Davis could hold his own, I'd rather force Vandy to beat UK inside than let Jenkins or Taylor get hot from deep.

Mississippi State worries me the most. Sidney and Moultrie can pound away inside against Davis and Jones and its a road game that will be the most hostile environment UK will have faced outside of Bloomington, especially if UK is still no 1. I think it would take a hot shooting game by the Cats and hoping for a favorable whistle for UK to come away with a win in Starkville.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Vanderbilt: Vandy is the opposite of Florida. If you put defenders on the outside and lock down the perimeter, it forces Vandy to beat you with Festus Ezeli. Harrellson neutralized him last year,
    Really? Festus had 14-7 in Nashville (and Steve T had 12 more) and 22-13 in Lexington.

That said, Davis is not Josh Harrellson. And Festus isn't nearly the player he was last year before the injury.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I want Noel more than I want even Shabazz. He fills the most glaring potential hole on next year's roster and will do so in dazzling fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Really? Festus had 14-7 in Nashville (and Steve T had 12 more) and 22-13 in Lexington.

That said, Davis is not Josh Harrellson. And Festus isn't nearly the player he was last year before the injury.
    Maybe neutralized wasn't the best word. The Lexington game was pretty telling though. Ezeli had a monster game but by feeding the ball inside to Ezeli, it took possessions away from Jenkins and Taylor. Ezeli had the big night but Kentucky came away with the win.

The key was allowing Harrellson to work alone and Davis will be the same way. If UK double teams inside, then Vandy kicks back out for an open three.

It's the same strategy that beat Ohio State last year. Let Sullinger get his points while keeping the ball out of the hands of Buford and Diebler.

part of BBN

I want Noel more than I want even Shabazz. He fills the most glaring potential hole on next year's roster and will do so in dazzling fashion.
    Agree 100 %. I will add though I think Davis has spoiled us. He plays so mature as far as the way he conducts himself and very very seldom gets into foul trouble. While Noel may be a great talent, it is hard to fathom him making the impact Davis has right away but you never know.

Turn Off Ads?